Subject: Blokus problem with dummy 4th player in a 3-player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Christensen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
The rules state that in a 3-player game using a 4th dummy hand, each 'live' player takes a turn to play the dummy hand.

There is a distinct advantage to the two 'live' players that play before and after the dummy hand as they get to play TWO blocking moves should they wish to.
The first live player plays his piece then the dummy piece while the second live player plays the dummy piece then his own piece. Meanwhile, the third live player never gets this opportunity, being able to only play his own piece before play passes on to the next live player.

Does anyone see a way around this?
Dave
keel131@comcast.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel a need to workaround this, perhaps it could be established that whomever moves for the 'dummy' does so immediately after he/she moves their own. Each time it gets back to the first player, a spare marker used to denote the 'dummy' gets passed to the left. When that person takes their turn, they also take the 'dummy' turn. How's that sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that this advantage is reduced by the fact that these two players are more likely to be blocked by the dummy player, being adjacent to its position. I can't say I noticed any significant advantages of being next to the dummy player. I seem to do as well - and I can say that this is one of the rare game I am good with - one way or the other. But I have not played an awful lot of this game and the sessions were far apart.

I would add that I usually welcome the break the "opposite to dummy" position gives me. Let me put it this way : when I'm next to the dummy, I feel I always have 1.5 player attacking me, instead of the typically 1 player when playing opposite to the dummy. But this may be due to the group I play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Dickinson
United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I don't think that each player is supposed to place a dummy piece during their turn every time. Rather, the intent is for the players to take turns placing a piece for the dummy player during the dummy player's turn only.

For instance: place a conch shell or similar device in front of one player (say Player 2). Player 1 places a piece of his own color only, followed by P2 and then P3. When it is P4's (the ghost's) turn, whover has the conch places one piece of the ghost color and then passes the shell. During the next round, after the three live players play their own colors, P3 plays for the ghost, etc.

The end result: one piece of each color gets placed each round, just as in a regular four-player game. The ghost color has the same amount of influence as the other three, and all players have an effect on it.

I hope this helps,

steadym

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I've yet to see a valid play sequence for this 3-player problem. One way or the other, one of the live players either gets a 'two-turn' move using his own and the dummy hand or the live players get shuffled around in a sequence that has one of them delayed from playing for two rounds.

It is true that, according to the instructions, the live players are to take turns placing a piece from the dummy hand but this is what creates the problem. Even your scenario with the conch shell creates this same problem in the 3rd round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.