Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people complained that there was only tension at then end of the game because people carefully watched each other to make sure not body could win. But during the game, there is no tension at all.

So I was thinking about a mechanic that could solve this problem: Wonders. Here are the improvised rules.

- There will be 8 wonders, 2 for each type of non-mountain terrain.
- The scoring track will have milestones set up at fixed distance according to the final scored required to win. If a player has more Victory point than the milestone and own a territory with the matching terrain, he may build a wonder.
- A wonder would cost 5 tokens that must be placed in the target territory of the wonder, it will give 3 victory point, and the player who controls the wonder will get a special ability. It must be built on the matching terrain
- The wonder always stay into play after battles.
- Maybe 4 miles stones will be placed at 1/5th of the scoring track, and each miles stone will have 2 wonders available.
- Milestones are setup by drawing wonder tokens randomly and placing them on the scoring track. Each wonder will have a card traded between players to indicate who has the control.

So this should create some tension, and players might want to fight to prevent a player to reach a milestone or get the matching territory. It will also create a similar effect to my "Fallen Kingdom" game where the board evolves with time, making the game less repetitive as it progress.

The variant would also be compatible with the original game and my homemade version of the game.

What do you think?

Do you have any other ideas to increase tension though the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lucas
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea....I might try it in a solo version but you don't mention what you think the wonders bonuses should be.

I was thinking of going in a different direction and creating natural disasters that would occur fairly rarely but would wipe out a certain area of provinces each time.....and perhaps even destroy a wonder? Floods, earthquakes, plagues, locusts are all on my list. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not even remember posting this. I don't know if I posted this before or after making my homemade version of the game.

Of course natural disaster can balance things out. If I remember correctly, last time I played, there was tension at the end because we wanted a player not to exceed the point limit to force the game ending. So everybody was calculating each point the could prevent the leader to get.

I quite liked the feeling, it's just a shame that it happens at the end of the game. I thought that the milestones could be a good idea. Should it be wonders, I am not sure. Should there be special abilities, I really doubt it because there are currently so many special powers that adding more powers would not be elegant.

The other problem could be a run away leader syndrome. The player in the lead is more likely to be in the lead for other milestone giving him more chances to win these mile stones.

Maybe having open objective cards that give points could be a good alternative idea. This way, it will make the players move away from making victory point, or it might ask for player to calculate how to make sure player X does not fulfill a certain objective.

Anyways, Vinci is not in my mind right now. I did a lot for the homemade version. So I am not ready to dig in again in the design of the game. But I am open to suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.