Word on the Street» Forums » Variants

Subject: Difficulty Levels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I accidentally played the wrong way the first time (according the the HARD variant below), but it gave me a good idea:

EASY: Classic rules -- use any letters plus vowels and JQXZ.

MEDIUM: Each side can use any letters that are on the board or have been captured by that side plus vowels and JQXZ.

HARD: Each side can ONLY use letters that are on the board plus vowels and JQXZ.

Each difficulty level takes about the same amount of time due to the 30-second limit for each turn, but higher difficulty levels make the game more frantic and exciting.

Let me know what you think! I've sent this along to mmaaaxx from otbgames, who said that he'd give it a try with his family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that the HARD variant would take forever to end. When only W, Y, and C remain, not a lot of categories are going to work. So I'd think that a game would take a lot more rounds (rounds where you get only a short word becoming more common).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I played it that way for my first game, it took about 30 minutes to finish the game. I can definitely see your point -- I guess that the hard variation would have the potential to end in a stalemate.

It's possible that we lucked out and were able to use the harder letters earlier in the game. I'll have to do some more play-testing with that level. MEDIUM still works pretty well so far, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.