Subject: Eliminate USA Division Leader blocks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I see much complaining about overcrowding of Northern blocks on Day 2 and Day 3.

Proposed Solution:

1. Eliminate all Northern division leader blocks. This reduces the number of Northern blocks from 108 to 86. That should open up some finger space for the North.

2. Increase the command range of Northern corps leaders by +1 each.

3. Northern corps leaders can now activate for fire any and all blocks of their corps within their command range. However, Northern infantry corps leaders are not automatically reduced 1 step for activating their divisions for fire.

EDIT: (Originally my variant increased a corps commander's chance of losing a step by 2/6 for each division of his corps he activates for fire. I decided this was too punishing.)

Instead, a die is rolled. If the die roll is less than or equal to the number of corps infantry brigades activated, the Northern corps commander loses one step. Corps artillery fire for free if at least an equal number of infantry brigades are activated. Example: Reynolds activates two infantry brigades and two corps artillery blocks. Reynolds loses a step on a 1,2,3, or 4.

4. If a block fires on a hex in which the largest block is a Northern Cavalry block, the firing block's firepower is reduced by 1. (Northern cavalry fired breech loading Sharp's carbines, and so were harder to hit than soldiers who had to stand to reload.)

5. Blocks (both North and South) must be be at least four hexes away from the nearest enemy block to receive a replacement step at a cost of 1 supply point. This is realistic (mules pulling wagons were easily spooked by gunfire) and would require players to spread out their forces a bit more.

In finely balanced games such as Columbia Games's, it's probably wise to add a few more balancing options. The loss of Northern infantry division commanders' steps could be balanced by strengthening the North in other ways:

1. Add +1 to Meade's command range.

2. Add +1 to the range of Northern artillery, adding three more hexes to their fire cones. The North did have a bit more rifled artillery than the South, so it's justifiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Eliminate USA Infantry Division Leader blocks
Thats a major change, and you lose the emphasis on the different quality of Northern divisional leaders. You should naturally get a funnel of corps points heading to the better Divisional commanders, and that effect helps represent historically the more active commanders.
Allowing a corps commander to so easily activate all units near him would be a massive advantage to concentrate attacks. And giving a chance for it not to deplete his points, just overpowering in combination with a flip turn.

I've never had a problem with number of blocks though, hexes are big enough.

Overall your changes would have a major impact on how the game plays, but its your game so if you feel you need it then do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cage wrote:
Thats a major change, and you lose the emphasis on the different quality of Northern divisional leaders. You should naturally get a funnel of corps points heading to the better Divisional commanders, and that effect helps represent historically the more active commanders.
Allowing a corps commander to so easily activate all units near him would be a massive advantage to concentrate attacks. And giving a chance for it not to deplete his points, just overpowering in combination with a flip turn.

I've never had a problem with number of blocks though, hexes are big enough.

Overall your changes would have a major impact on how the game plays, but its your game so if you feel you need it then do it

I feel exactly the same. The map may be overcrowded (especially on the Northern side) but it's not really a problem to me. Removing the divisional commander blocks does change the game in favor of the Union. But, as stated above, it's the player's choice to change the rules as he sees fit.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Quote:
Removing the divisional commander blocks does change the game in favor of the Union. But, as stated above, it's the player's choice to change the rules as he sees fit.

I was fretting that removing the Northern division leader blocks would bias the game in favor of the South.

In my variant, a typical Northern corps leader with two steps will on average be able to fire each of his three divisions twice before he loses all his steps. If he has two divisions, he will be able to fire them three times before he loses all his steps.

In the original, a typical Northern division leader can fire his division twice, although about one-third can only fire the division once before losing all steps. Also in the original, a typical Northern corps commander (Supply Value 2) can replenish two steps to each of two leaders before the Northern corps commander runs out of steps. So, a typical Northern corps will be able to fire nine times before both the corps commander and his division leaders run out of steps.

Reynold's corps can fire its 3 divisions five times with its division commanders, plus, six times more as Reynolds, a superior corps commander (Supply Value 3) twice provides steps to each of the three division commanders. So, in the original, Reynolds corps and division commanders can provide 11 division fires. The best northern corps, that of Hancock, I believe, can fire its divisions 15 times before both Hancock and his division commanders run out of steps.

So, my scheme definitely reduces the amount of fire available to the North. Eliminating Northern division commanders also reduces the number of fighting steps available for defensive melee. So, rather than strengthening the North, my variant weakens the North considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.