Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I love word games, but try to bring out Boggle/Scrabble with my D&D/Euro game friends and you'll hear crickets chirping. In the awkward silence you can hear everyone's thoughts going
"How can I get out of this room? No!!! Not Boggle!!!"

As soon I watched a review of this from TheDiceTower, I wanted this game. I thought this was the one that could bridge that gap and allow both groups to play together. Perfect! thumbsup and it's made both groups happy.

I won't go into details about how to play the game as there are a lot of good reviews already.

The Party Case has awesome components: 2 sand timers, the same amount of cards as the box version, the awesome board, tiles, card tray, card divider and an instruction booklet in a black material case which is easy to carry and the parts all store away in their little compartments. I definitely prefer this to the box edition because the carrying case is really cool. But to each to their own.

Where do I start?
This game is easy to learn, takes about 1 minute to teach. It works with 2 - 10 players. You can even have an odd number of players. I've tried it with all variations and it works well with all numbers. We stick to the rule that only 1 player can move the tiles. Makes it more funny, especially if you have players that want to move the pieces for everyone and they're not allowed to.

I brought it out to play with my non-gamer friends, and gamer friends and they have all enjoyed it and have asked to play it again. It's a great filler and a great way to start the night off. Even my adult English students ask to play this game again and again.

The game has quite a nice competitive feel to it with the 30 second timers and the two teams. Trying to steal the tiles back from the other side of the board makes it all the more exciting. This is perfect for my gamer friends, and the best thing is it doesn't have that quiet/less interaction/less exciting feel as Boggle/Scrabble. I love boggle, but I would rather play Word on the Street over Boggle any day. There is still the spelling aspect to this game but it's a lot more fun.

Spelling aloud is quite challenging and funny especially when you are trying to beat the timer. Then you kick yourselfangry if you spell the word incorrectly or if the other team tricked you into spelling a word that doesn't fit the category. Yes, you can distract your opponents with other words to make them run out of time or make a mistake. whistle

Also, I have to give a huge Thumbs up thumbsup for the great support Out Of the Box Publishing has given to it's customers. I emailed them about some chipped painted tiles - probably from when my FLGS imported it halfway across the world, and OOTB sent a response and helped me out straight away. I was so thankful that they cared about their consumers even when I was so far away. Thank you OOTB!!

This game is definitely going to come out most nights as there are a lot of cards we haven't seen yet. Even my D&D friends ask for this game as we wait for people to turn up or settle down into game mode. We often play it 2-3 times in a row.

After about 10 plays the categories do come up again, but each time you are trying to get different letters, so you have to think of new words and think quickly. Also when you swap players everyone uses their own general knowledge to come up with words. Some of the categories can have more than one meaning and are quite funny. Lol laugh

Love it and highly recommend it as a great party game / filler / something fun to start the game night off with and works with all groups.
My friends are still laughing and kicking ourselves over misspelled words and crazy answers we came up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
Also, I have to give a huge Thumbs up thumbsup for the great support Out Of the Box Publishing has given to it's customers. I emailed them about some chipped painted tiles - probably from when my FLGS imported it halfway across the world, and OOTB sent a response and helped me out straight away. I was so thankful that they cared about their consumers even when I was so far away. Thank you OOTB!!

I'll second this comment. I my original "B" tile had some paint chipped off of it and they quickly sent me a replacement. It is always nice when there is no hassle getting damaged components replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! My wife and I had a great time playing this with friends and family recently. If you like word games, this one is a gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.