Subject: In Flight report: Wild speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In about two weeks, in GenCon, Christian T. Petersen will give the "In Flight Report" seminar.
Just for fun, I made a list of all the interesting things he might talk about. I included some rumors and a lot of WILD speculation.

You are all welcome to add to the list.

d10-1 RPGs - I don't usually follow what's going on with RPGs lately, but FFG has a strong portfolio of WH/40K based RPGs, so I doubt we'll see any surprising news there. However, there is this new book in the Fireborn world, so there's a possibility FFG are reviving this RPG.
And mentioning that, the new books in the Android universe imply they want to develop this universe. I will not be shocked if they announce an RPG in this world.

d10-2 Books - Many books were announced lately. I wonder if FFG are really branching into being a big publisher of books. I guess this will be discussed in the seminar, but I don't expect any big surprises there.

d10-3 Big box game - FFG said they wanted to make one big-box game a year, We haven't seen one yet this year, and unless they are changing their plans (I'm getting the feeling Horus Heresy did not sell very well, so it might affect their decisions), I'm pretty sure they'll announce one. I'm guessing it will be the TI-Dune game ("Mecatol Rex"?). Either that, or it'll be a game based on a certain IP I'm gonna mention below.

d10-4 Even if it's not the "big box" game, I expect some news about the new Dune or the other licenses that came with it (Borderlands).

d10-5 BattleLore & Battles of Westeros - Earlier this week, FFG revised their upcoming page. I've noticed that after this clean-up, there isn't a single game on the list related to those two games. Not expansions, not reprints, nothing. This will probably be a good opportunity to explain what are the plans for the future for those two games.

d10-6 The Star Wars license - We know that a game company bought the license to produce games (board, card, minatures, rpg?) based on the SW IP. Since this must be a large and well based company, the rumor started that this was FFG. If it's true, GenCon will probably be the right place to announce it, along with a first wave of games.

d10-7 Miniatures (and I'm really going wild here) - FFG used to have an agreement with Rackham, distributing the AT-43 Initiation Set: Operation Damocles and Confrontation miniatures games. This deal was broken at some point. However, Rackham are no more, and a video game company (Cyanide Studios) bought the license for Confrontation, to make a video game based on it. They recently let a new company called Legacy Miniatures remake some of the miniatures. This company is somehow affiliated (I don't know how) with Dust Games, who made games based in the Confrontation universe (Arcana, Cadwallon: City of Thieves). Dust Games are now in a publishing agreement with FFG. So, is it possible that we see those IPs revived with the help of FFG ? There are miniature games, board games (those I mentioned + Hybrid), and even an RPG (Cadwallon).

d10-8 GW - I won't be surprised to see more announcements regarding games based on Games Workshop IPs.

d10-9 And last, I'm sure there'll be another surprise I didn't think of .

d10-0 Still with me? Add your own ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If points 3 and 6 are both true, I would think the big box game to be SW related.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Star Wars related big box game? Man, I'm getting all twitchy just thinking about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
d10-5 BattleLore & Battles of Westeros - Earlier this week, FFG revised their upcoming page. I've noticed that after this clean-up, there isn't a single game on the list related to those two games. Not expansions, not reprints, nothing. This will probably be a good opportunity to explain what are the plans for the future for those two games.

Battlelore needs a new base game that will jive with all the published expansions already on the market. Sort of like what the "Underdark" Heroscape base set is for that lineup.

Battles of Westeros is a frigging far-out, fantastic game that got off to a very bad start and really needs some kind of reboot somehow. FFG would do very well to revise and replace the rulebooks in exchange for "proof-of-purchase" tokens or something. The game is actually brilliant and well designed, but it got absolutely mauled in production. i can tell you this though, if you like the theme, Battlelore and War of the Ring (first edition), BoW is probably right up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Olson
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Man. I must be more of a FFG fanboy than I thought. All your speculations made me salivate. (Especially the SW one...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kronlin
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Box = WHQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Leffingwell
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
FFG would do very well to revise and replace the rulebooks in exchange for "proof-of-purchase" tokens or something.

That is actually a really good idea. One of the reasons I haven't bought Tannhäuser is that I don't want to have to buy a new rulebook for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they admit they blew it with WFRP 3rd edition and they are relaunching it as a Savage Worlds setting. Hey, I can hope. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
I hope they admit they blew it with WFRP 3rd edition and they are relaunching it as a Savage Worlds setting. Hey, I can hope. whistle

More likely WHFRP 3rd edition is the template for the new Star wars Roleplaying game, now that makes sense commercially, although it would have to be a lot better put together than WHFRP 3rd in order to interest me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nedpatrick wrote:
Cracky wrote:
FFG would do very well to revise and replace the rulebooks in exchange for "proof-of-purchase" tokens or something.

That is actually a really good idea. One of the reasons I haven't bought Tannhäuser is that I don't want to have to buy a new rulebook for it.
The current publication of Tannhauser comes with the latest rule book. The first version, before FFG bought the rights from the original publisher has the earlier version of the rulebook. FFG merely reprinted the earlier version, then bought the game outright and re-did the rules. The rulebook is available for purchase for those people who bought Tannhauser before FFG reworked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolina
Netherlands
Bemmel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion for Middle-Earth Quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
rolina wrote:
Expansion for Middle-Earth Quest

Yes please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
On point 3, FFG published Dust Tactics last year and it was the size of a big box game. I wonder if they count it as one or not because it was not made by them... (it was supposed to be put on the market by AEG).

I also beleive their "big new game" for this year has already been announced in the form of Gears of War. Unless they announce the one for next year...

On point 7.
From what i understand, AT-43 was originally supposed to be Dust. It was modified to AT-43 because of Rackham. Now that they are out, The designers have gone back and did what they wanted to do in the first place: Dust Tactics. The minis are so similar between the two games it would be hard to know which belonged to which game on first glance by an unitiated.
So i doubt we'll see two competing products at the same time from the same designer and publisher... AT-43's rights have been purchased by FFG probably just to avoid possible copyright problems between AT-43 and Dust Tactics in the future.
(just wild speculation here).

I would hope for a deeply revamped Dune. Not the original game as it was... it has aged so badly it's not funny anymore.
Twilight Imperium is ripe for new games set in that universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Scott
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a remake of Star Wars Queen's Gambit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CovertDad wrote:
If points 3 and 6 are both true, I would think the big box game to be SW related.

ninja

Yes, that's what I was implying, but I'm not sure it's feasible. Even if FFG bought the SW license, they usually take their time with developing the big games. It's too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
On point 3, FFG published Dust Tactics last year and it was the size of a big box game. I wonder if they count it as one or not because it was not made by them... (it was supposed to be put on the market by AEG).

I also beleive their "big new game" for this year has already been announced in the form of Gears of War. Unless they announce the one for next year...

No, GOW is not a "coffin box" game. It's smaller (and cheaper), and I agree with what you said about Dust Tactics, so the slot is still open.

deedob wrote:

I would hope for a deeply revamped Dune. Not the original game as it was... it has aged so badly it's not funny anymore.

It's the first time I hear this about the old Dune. I heard only praise so far. Can you elaborate on why you think it didn't age well ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
CovertDad wrote:

ninja

Yes, that's what I was implying, but I'm not sure it's feasible. Even if FFG bought the SW license, they usually take their time with developing the big games. It's too soon.

However, you have to take into account that, A, the SW license transition was announced a while ago and 2, I'm sure they had something to show the Lucas folks where they would take the IP.

Between that, and the fact that it would be DISASTROUS to announce at the industry's biggest convention "We have the SW license, but you have to wait 6-9 months for the product."

Of course, this IS FFG, so that wouldn't be unusual.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Drouin
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope we hear something definitive about Battlelore. *sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's announecement reminded me that I completely forgot about A Song of Ice and Fire: The Adventure Game. With the TV series going on, it's the right time to officially announce the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still hoping that Corey will not give up on "Reins of Power." I think FFG needs to recover more of a balance between fantasy and historical/real-world and between tactical and strategic scale.

I'm encouraged by the news of the upcoming 'Runewars' expansion and hope that its design/development completion may clear the way for renewed focus on "Reins of Power."

I also hope that in 2012 we will see a major "Tide of Iron" expansion for Japan and the Pacific War to complete the major powers.

Also, I can't help but think that perhaps in the course of the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War, we might see a surprise from FFG in the form of either a strategic or a tactical ACW big-box game.

I know historical subjects have not been their major emphasis, but given their inclination to go off in innovative new directions, this still would not surprise me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Also, I can't help but think that perhaps in the course of the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War, we might see a surprise from FFG in the form of either a strategic or a tactical ACW big-box game.

Man, that would be tight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remembered another possible game. We know that Wiz-War is due for a reprint for quite some time now. Rumors say FFG are going to do it. It could have been a great little addition to their Silver Line games... Maybe CTP can also talk about the decision to drop this line and start the "stand alone card games" section instead (which is a little weird, if you ask me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.