Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Donald and Scott talk about people's perception of gaming

Erik Takes 5 on CCGs

Erik reviews RoadZters (for real this time)

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network

RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the main topic, lately I was thinking about that myself, mostly after two days ago I changed my Education data on facebook to the "Miskatonic University, Arkham" and may wife complains about it.

You know how it is facebook, she was somehow "afraid" that people see my posts on facebook, and my geek secret identity gets revealed

I think she can felt a little ashamed that his husband is not a traditional one, but almost 40, being an RPG gamer/PC Gamer/Board gamer/Sci Fi nerd since I can remember, there is nothing I haven't listened and it's been so long since I felt ashamed of who am I.

Also I am old, I don't look for making new friends to hang out, so I don't care if someone point his finger at me and call me nerd, in those cases the lack of respect is mutual, I use to stop talking to that kind of people. At the end I am with Scott, I say what I like, and if someone does not like it, it is his problem not mine, I don't care.

Also the POD that erik was talking about is probably Andrew Tullsen
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47269/print-play-productio...

I have not buyed from him as delivery costs are prohibitive to me, so can not testify of the quality, but I heard that is very good. As I disclaimer I have to say that one of my games is on his catalogue.

Also I want to try the Middle Earth CCG, but it is way too expensive to look for that on ebay :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny S. Mo
Japan
Iwamizawa-shi
Hokkaido
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two points while they are still fresh in my mind:

First I agree with Scott. At this point I really don't have time for taking shit or moaning over others' attitudes about my hobbies. You like football and American beer. Fine, but there is no way in hell I'm spending 4 hours of a perfectly good Sunday in front of the TV watching a bunch of bags of mostly water rushing around after an egg shaped piece of a dead pig while drinking liquids that would offend a canoe. I'll try to do something actually fun or interesting. But then I'm comfortable with my geek/nerd status and have learned fake a conversation about just about any topic.

2. RoadZters/Bisikle or PitchCar? Assuming you can only have one set. I'm looking to add one of these as an interesting variety to our standard dexterity game fare around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kabuki wrote:
First I agree with Scott. At this point I really don't have time for taking shit or moaning over others' attitudes about my hobbies. You like football and American beer. Fine, but there is no way in hell I'm spending 4 hours of a perfectly good Sunday in front of the TV watching a bunch of bags of mostly water rushing around after an egg shaped piece of a dead pig while drinking liquids that would offend a canoe. I'll try to do something actually fun or interesting. But then I'm comfortable with my geek/nerd status and have learned fake a conversation about just about any topic.

I don't necessarily disagree, I've chosen a job that sings my geek interests to the sky. For some reason I've always been able to get along with people no matter what their interests. But I feel it's unreasonable to offer that advice as a panacea. Anyone whom might be in a delicate job situation or a living in a social circumstance that might have real blowback if just disregarded could benefit from knowing how to present themselves and their preferred hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Losing a job isn't the worst thing in the world. If you're surrounded by judgmental jerks you're better off somewhere else. Yes, there's room for diplomacy (and keeping personal business out of the office, in general) but the sooner you realize you aren't going to make everyone happy the better. Live for yourself, and stop caring what other people think. There are 7 billion people on the planet and you shouldn't be wasting time with those that don't make you happy. Anyone who would mock or denigrate someone is an insecure waste of air.

I will say that in the interest of diplomacy, it is advisable not to fall into the geek stereotype... I'm thinking hygiene here. I agree with Donald that it is useful to be your best self, and working to relate to people on their level generally improves your relationships.

So in short, I think both of you are in some sense right, but I like Scott's message better. The pressure to "fit in" makes for a lot of scared, defensive, unfulfilled unhappy people. It's your life, and you only get one shot at it. Live it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kabuki wrote:

2. RoadZters/Bisikle or PitchCar? Assuming you can only have one set. I'm looking to add one of these as an interesting variety to our standard dexterity game fare around here.

Personally I prefer RoadZters over PitchCar. I like flicking the ball a little better than flicking the discs, in my mind, that is the inherent difference. Also for me, I believe RoadZters is cheaper than PitchCar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:

Also the POD that erik was talking about is probably Andrew Tullsen
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47269/print-play-productio...

That's the one.

Quote:

I have not buyed from him as delivery costs are prohibitive to me, so can not testify of the quality, but I heard that is very good. As I disclaimer I have to say that one of my games is on his catalogue.

Also I want to try the Middle Earth CCG, but it is way too expensive to look for that on ebay :-/

The Middle Earth Challenge Decks are highly playable and not that expensive on eBay (usually).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica : When I’m teaching a new game to players that is often long, I’m very sensitive to making sure they get a good play experience because you don’t often get second chances with long games. Five players is THE sweet spot with BSG. I’d resist playing with a different number with newbies and if I did have to go ahead anyway, I’d be throwing out a lot of caveats.

Espionage Games : I loved Nobody Lives Forever! The sequel… not so much. I actually still have the CD of the music from the first one and I listen to it. The theme song is just great. Who knew a harpsichord could be so cool? Other simple two-player espionage game suggestions : Cold War (more because of theme than actual gameplay) and 1955 : The War of Espionage.

Gaming Stigma : I used to say I was a gamer, but that means different things to different people and ultimately it never meant what *I* meant. I don’t feel “bad” about what my main hobby is, but trying to explain it briefly before eyes glaze over can be tricky. I try to liken it to a Bridge Club or a Chess Club or a Scrabble Club. I make a point of saying that I’m not playing anything that’s as boring as that, but it seems to get across to the other person that I’m doing something acceptable by adults. Sometimes the conversation ends there. Sometimes they’re interested in what “not as boring” means and then I can risk getting more chatty.

Tanga : Yeah, there’s stigma. I have seen good games sold on there, but I’ve seen a whole lot more average or worse games. So what happens in the rare occurrence that I see a game I’m not familiar with? I assume it’s average at best and skip it. And when there’s a math trade where these games show up (and they always do!), I immediately downgrade the relative value of those games.

CCGs : I’d add VS System to the list. I’m a comic book geek, but I used to play it with very non-comics people as well. The system was just great. With most CCGs, it’s sort of a puzzle trying to figure out how best to handle each turn, but that’s even more true in VS where you have the added aspect of formation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About the Tanga thing I forgot to mention that at least on the PC games it is now common sales policy to do huge discounts, as those affect the sales on the next days.

Look at the Steam or iTunes case, they make huge sales, so next days those games are on the top seller lists, also more people has played so that increases the awareness and the likeness that you buy it (out of the sales period)

Of course that is applicable to the one time sales, or the nicely timed sales, not to the games that are all weeks on the sales list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:

The Middle Earth Challenge Decks are highly playable and not that expensive on eBay (usually).

Ok, I checked ebay and prices are not as high as I was expecting, I can buy 5 decks from the basic game for around 25€, can I play games with just 5 decks?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And today Agricola is for sale on Tanga!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
And today Agricola is for sale on Tanga!

I saw that! So clearly, not always stigma of junk. Thanks for answering my question, guys - I do think excess inventory is probably the case more often than not. I got a good deal on a very decent game this time around, and it still has a good BGG rating.

Really enjoying the new format where you're just taking questions from the peanut gallery. Keep asking, and we'll keep coming up with things for you to talk about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
On stigma:

I normally wait until someone knows me for how I contribute to work/church/community before I reveal that I play boardgames. This way they already have an appreciation for what talents I have. I also mention that I teach chess at our school, which somehow magically redeems gaming as having some social value.

I do like the idea of discussing it in light of a bridge or chess club. I hadn't thought of that.

Lastly, when people ask a question that goes the next step, I normally liken it to a game they played as a child, as opposed to "their favorite game." Most adults would never admit to having a favorite game because of that same stigma, but will admit to liking a game as a kid. Then you can say that (if for instance, it's Monopoly) "Acquire is another game about the hotel business, except that this time people are making money on stock shares, which multiple players may own. The game only take 90 minutes, not four hours, and everyone is in it until the end. It's a lot more fun." I have actually had a few converts this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Ayrk wrote:

Ok, I checked ebay and prices are not as high as I was expecting, I can buy 5 decks from the basic game for around 25€, can I play games with just 5 decks?

Thanks.

Yeah. I think there were only 8 challenge decks, 4 hero and 4 Sauron. All you need is two to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.