Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Modreski
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at all these parts. What will people think if they see you've got all these parts just sitting around? Clearly the more parts you used in your machines, the better they must be! You need to get building - fast!

The only info for Impossible Machine before it came out was a small publisher's blurb which mentioned that it included a cooperative variant. Sadly, its not actually in the book. So, naturally, Lisa and I had to come up with one

Still haven't played this much, but I'd love to hear feedback. We've only played with two players. It should work for more players as well, but may require some tweaks.

First, find a bunch of dominoes, water buckets, string, electric cords, and use them to build a complex contraption that will take exactly 10 minutes to trigger. Alternatively, be lazy and just set a 10 minute timer.

Each player gets their deck of cards and draws a hand as normal.

Take turns following all the normal rules of play.

Complete machines just like normal.

You need to complete all three machines before the 10 minutes runs out. If you fail to do so, you lose. Note that the last machine must actually finish completing - if there are still cards that haven't flipped over yet, its not done!

Then, count up all the cards that are still in your deck, discard pile, or hand. Each card is one point. Catalysts are 2 points as normal.

Looks at all those points you got! Whee!

You want a low score.

The best score would be to play all your cards and get 0 points!

If you've actually managed to get 0 points, give yourself less time next game.

Notes:

Remember that nulling a card removes the null and the card you removed from the game, so they won't score against you. In fact, you'll want to use the nulls since it will be the only way to play them and not have them count against you.

10 minutes seems like a good starting value for 2 players. A solo game will require less time, a game with more players might want more. 5 minutes per player might be a good benchmark, but we've only played 2 player so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a meetup with my game group this Friday. I will attempt to get a 4-5 player game in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. S.L.
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

You need to complete all three machines before the 10 minutes runs out.

Given the introduction of a time limit, might not it help the game to allow players to play out of turn?

StormKnight wrote:

Then, count up all the cards that are still in your deck, discard pile, or hand. Each card is one point. Catalysts are 2 points as normal.
Looks at all those points you got! Whee!
You want a low score.

I don't get it - if it's a co-operative game, then every body should win equally if the machines are completed in under X minutes, right? - This comparison of points seems to render the game competitive after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Modreski
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Given the introduction of a time limit, might not it help the game to allow players to play out of turn?

It might reduce some of the puzzle aspect a bit, and you'd probably need a shorter time limit, but if you want a faster and more frantic game I say go for it!

Quote:
I don't get it - if it's a co-operative game, then every body should win equally if the machines are completed in under X minutes, right? - This comparison of points seems to render the game competitive after all...

There is no comparison of points. You just combine your scores. I either wrote it from the perspective of a solo game or just got lazy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.