Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

Fellow Members of the Gaming Community:

As many of you may know, my first son, Jack Reuben Vasel, was born two months premature last year. Jack spent his short lifetime in an ICU before passing on.

The gaming community rallied around me in my hour of need and raised tens of thousands of dollars to help pay medical and other expenses. This generosity both awed and moved me.

I want to pay these kindnesses forward to help others in the community who find themselves in similar straits.

That's why I formed the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund (www.JackVasel.org). The fund is a not-for-profit with a simple goal: raising and distributing funds to help gamers in their hour of need.

The fund will mainly raise money through auctions of games and game-related items. The first annual auction will happen later this year, from November 1-15 (Jack's first birthday). Watch www.JackVasel.org and www.BoardGameGeek.com for more details in the coming months.

HOW YOU CAN JOIN THE CAUSE
* Wear a badge ribbon at Gen Con: If you'd like to show your support at Gen Con, you can wear one of the fund's badge ribbons. Just ask -- we'll be glad to give one to you.

* Join our mailing list: Stay updated on the fund's activities, announcements, and more. To sign up, send an email to JackVasel@gmail.com. (We'll never sell, rent, or give away your email address.)

* Donate to the fund: Individuals and organizations who give monetary donations or product for the auctions will get special digital supporter insignias. The insignias may be put on physical products or websites. More details are at www.JackVasel.org/donate.

Happy Gaming!

Tom Vasel Host, The Dice Tower
Executive Director, Jack Vasel Memorial Fund
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You couldn't have awaited until tomorrow to unveil THIS upon MY "Birthday" anniversary also? sheesh! TALK about your 'glory-hoarehound'! Anyways, today's was also MY paternal Grandma's even, so there's THAT at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
You couldn't have awaited until tomorrow to unveil THIS upon MY "Birthday" anniversary also? sheesh! TALK about your 'glory-hoarehound'! Anyways, today's was also MY paternal Grandma's even, so there's THAT at least...

Go ahead and donate. I did. And a Happy Birthdaycool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Applegate
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very generous that you are taking what the BGG community gave for you, and using it to bless others. I try and remember to think of Jack and your family every time that we play our copy of Survive that we won in the auction.

My wife is about to have our first child, and I can't even begin to imagine how your world was rocked by the loss of Jack. I am glad that you have found a way for his legacy to live on.

I will definitely be joining the mailing list, and trying to take part in the auctions as much as I am able to.

Thank you again for all that you do for this community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tom.

I do hope things can be done with this. Up to see what I can do here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hendrix
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
Join us for gaming on Friday Nights in Burbank, CA www.FridayNightDice.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I just found your pod cast today and listed to you for 4 hours as I drove up to Santa Maria, CA. I see this when I got home and was moved. I am going to go donate right now and thank you for your work in Korea.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what you were going to do with all that goodwill sent your way! Very happy to see this happening in Jack's name, and a fantastic idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant Tom
I'll be involved. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful idea, I still frequently think of baby Jack. Praying that healing continues for your family.

What a fantastic idea, this is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jc or Jace
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel,

I would like to give you my deepest condolences. I can't imagine how you must've felt. I'm really sorry to hear about this. Sadly I'm still studying but once I start earning my own paycheck, I would definitely help out and donate.

Thanks Tom for all the wonderful reviews of games. I usually only watch your thedicetower reviews because they're always entertaining and whenever there's a game that you have not reviewed, I'm usually not as keen to watch the video review.

Keep up the great work Tom,

Jacelyn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anttoni Huhtala
Finland
Espoo
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
10 PRINT "Hello!"
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea Tom! I hope the fund won't be needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal Behal
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Tom. I was checking the website last week; I saw many names of the people involved in Jack's auctions and looks like the right people for the fund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Winsted
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What an admirable effort. I have sent a donation. Good luck, and God bless you and you family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bryan
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we want a badge ribon for Gencon, do we pick it up there? If so, where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A heartwarming plea, and a sound statement that the boardgaming community, unlike many others, is built on rock-solid foundations of human interest, empathy, and, well, love.

God bless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phoenfyre wrote:
If we want a badge ribon for Gencon, do we pick it up there? If so, where?

+1 ... I don't see where you have a booth at GenCon. Do we stalk Geoff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Horvath
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom does not have a booth at Gencon, but will be walking around and promoting the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund. I plan on getting one of the ribbons from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
This is a wonderful idea, Tom. Thank you for doing this. Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bryan
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, are you going to be there Wednesday? It may be easier to track you down before the masses arrive in...uhm..mass? I'm very interested in wearing your ribbon to help promote this at Gencon. And I am sure I'll donate more money to the fund after my finances have settled from Gencon and an upcoming trip for a wedding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Walters
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also be looking to donate while at Gencon. Hope to see you there Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I suggest setting up a meeting time or being in a certain lobby at a certain time? It sounds as if there is a lot of interest, so it might be easier if you did this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a booth at GenCon? We will be seeking out the ribbon for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Horvath
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casperthegoth wrote:
Do you have a booth at GenCon? We will be seeking out the ribbon for sure.

He does not have a booth at Gencon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.