Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems legal to continue to repeat the same moves when endgame is near and there are few pieces on the board. This could be done an infinite number of times with no resolution, how is this resolved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
It seems legal to continue to repeat the same moves when endgame is near and there are few pieces on the board. This could be done an infinite number of times with no resolution, how is this resolved?

I understand that a semi-official rule is that the same position cannot be repeated three times so that making a move which would cause this to occur is illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My source is http://www.darkfish.com/checkers/rules.html

Usually, players simply agree to a draw. But if one side will not agree, then for official tournament games, there is either a 40-move rule or a 50-move rule. For example, according to Pask, if 50 moves are made by each side without any captures and without either side advancing a piece to the king row, it's a draw.

Pask also mentions four time repetition of a position as a draw. The player claiming a draw should have a record of the game, if playing in a tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Polaris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi,

Repeating the same exact position 3 times is a draw. So is going 40+ moves (in some tournaments, 50+ moves) without a capture or crowning.

Between good players, this should not happen if one side has a positional or material advantage. In fact, in most positions with a material advantage, such as 3 kings vs. 2 kings, it's possible for the player with more to either trap pieces or force an exchange of pieces to reduce it to something lower, until it eventually reaches 2 vs. 1, a win for the side with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
APolaris wrote:
Between good players, this should not happen if one side has a positional or material advantage. In fact, in most positions with a material advantage, such as 3 kings vs. 2 kings, it's possible for the player with more to either trap pieces or force an exchange of pieces to reduce it to something lower, until it eventually reaches 2 vs. 1, a win for the side with 2.

We played last week and ended up with 3 kings vs 2 kings, but neither of us is a good player, so after moving around for a while we called it a draw....

I was curious if there was some rule we were missing, so came looking here. Yay BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are like songs: you never get tired of playing the best ones over and over, and you can enjoy them all by yourself.
badge
“Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.” (Vince Lombardi)
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
APolaris wrote:

We played last week and ended up with 3 kings vs 2 kings, but neither of us is a good player, so after moving around for a while we called it a draw....

I was curious if there was some rule we were missing, so came looking here. Yay BGG.

It's not necessarily a draw, but it sure is tricky. I read a little study of the 3-kings-vs-2-kings endgame in a book I own, so I know the player with 3 kings can force an exchange, then win with 2 vs 1. But it's not quick or intuitive.

I don't know if it works in all board situations either. There could be some board situation where it wouldn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I don't know if it works in all board situations either. There could be some board situation where it wouldn't work.

3 vs 2 is always winable in any board situation if the 3 King player knows what he/she is doing. The usual way is to force an exchange; however, the techniques for forcing exchanges are not normally known by novice players. (But they are relatively easy to learn.)

And of course, once you exchange (down to 2 vs 1) wining is relatively easy, even if the 1 king player runs to a double corner. Just need to know the method - again not hard to learn/memorize.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.