Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Kinsella
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
WizKids Quarriors FAQs 8/15/2011 – has been submitted to be uploaded into the file section (typically takes a few days)

Note: this does not encompass every question to date – we hope to publish every two weeks or so until questions slow down.

Rules Questions for the base game (promo cards are further below):

Q) Combat timing of the following: Shaping Cantrip: REACTION. Cast this spell to return one of your just destroyed creatures to your ready area (at its same level) instead of putting it in the used pile and Ghostly Spirit: When Ghostly Spirit is destroyed, you may cull 1 Basic Quiddity to return Ghostly Spirit to your Ready Area (for free).

A) The following rule is added: You only assign damage once to a creature per combat. So while the creatures are returned during the combat phase, they are "safe" and/or cannot use their destroyed ability more than once per combat. Leftover damage is lost.

Q) Can more than 4 players play?

A) You can certainly house rule things, but there are currently no official variants for more than 4 players.

Q) How does the Strong Primordial Ooze work (the one that copies other creatures)

A) When the ooze enters the Ready area (by any means) - you must copy a creature in an opponents' area, if able. It copies another creature exactly including its glory (the 2 Glory is there only if there are no other creatures to copy). If the copied creature then goes away it does not impact the ooze as it remains the creature it copied. Attached spells are not copied. An ooze can copy an ooze that copied another creature (and thus becomes that originally copied creature). Once it has copied a creature it cannot shift back to just an ooze (unless it’s copying another "plain" ooze in an opponents' ready area). Spells or affects that return the Ooze to the ready area make the ooze have to copy a new creature or be 0/5. Once in the used pile (after all scoring/spell affects have occurred) or if you roll/reroll the die and immediate affects are resolved it loses all memory of previous states.

If the ooze has copied a creature (like the ghostly spirits) that have an ability that continues after it is destroyed it remains a copy of that creature until it is returned to the ready area, used pile or rolled and any immediate affects resolved of the creature it was copying (Ex. an Ooze has copied a Mighty Ghostly Spirit. It is destroyed. Once you destroy a creature you roll the copied Mighty Ghostly Spirit and either add it to your ready area or used pile, after this point it is an “ooze” die with no memory of what came before).

Q) Strong Questing Wizard - how could there be spell dice in your Active Pool?

A) The mighty scavenging goblin and other creatures may bring dice out into the active pool, these then can be culled for extra glory.

Q) Can portals keep pulling themselves?

A) Yes, but if you are only pulling portals, the player may declare that the end state of 1 Quiddity is reached and not have to keep rolling them (simulate infinite rolls).

Q) Can the growth die that draw additional dice draw themselves?

A) Yes.

Q) Must I attack if I have creatures that deal damage?

A) You must attack all players.

Q) Are assistants creatures?

A) Yes – assistants while being a Basic Die are also a Creature die.

Q) Ghostly Spirit – when destroyed can I bring it back at any level?

A) No, it is returned at the level at which it was destroyed.

Q) Strong Witching Hag – can I bring a creature to the active pool that scored in the same turn as the Strong Witching Hag

A) Yes.

General Issues

Q) The portal "2" side is hard to read, is this on all portal dice?

A) The "1" side is ok, thus if it is hard to read it is probably the "2" side. This impacts all portal dice.

Q) What is the glory for an assistant who scores?

A) 1. Some folks think the 1 looks like a 7.

Q) My dice have a small blemish, imperfection etc - can I get a replacement? What about large visual issues?

A) Small blemishes from paint and inherent marks from the injection molding process (gate marks, small bubbles etc) we ask you to accept as part of the inherent nature of dice manufacturing. If numbers are missing/illegible or the die is just an outright mess, please contact us starting August 19th 2011 at www.heroclix.com/replacement (while it says heroclix, it is also where we will be handling our game replacements). If you have already submitted a request to the previous email address it is being processed through there, but all new ones should go through the process above.

You will have to create an account. Sign up with your name and information. An activation code will be sent to the email address you supply. You will be prompted for that code the first time you log in. If you go there before August 19th, you will be prompted and instructed to send in a package. By August 19th, the Quarriors dice will be listed among the things that can be replaced and no package requirement (for 5 items) will be required.

Promo cards

Q) Do the promo card backs have a different color gradient or is it just my cards?

A) All of the promo cards have the shift in color and may have other slight differences from the original base game cards.

Q) Quaxos’ warrior of the Quay vs. Mighty defender of the pale (single and double burst affect)

A) Once you’ve paid the extra quiddity to summon the Warrior, the defender of the pale also requires additional quiddity (1 or 2 depending on burst) for the previously “free” summoned creature

Thank you
Bryan Kinsella
WizKids

edited to remove a pesky question mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
aguynamedbry wrote:
A) Small blemishes from paint and inherent marks from the injection molding process (gate marks, small bubbles etc) we ask you to accept as part of the inherent nature of dice manufacturing. If numbers are missing/illegible or the die is just an outright mess, please contact us starting August 19th 2011 at www.heroclix.com/replacement

Thanks Bryan for this FAQ. Seems like there were a lot of questions. Just to make sure, if we've already gotten in touch with someone about replacement dice or cards, should we again use this link to contact you or will our replacements be processed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good information. I sent in that e-mail a couple days ago, but have not heard a response. I guess I will wait a few days and see. If I get nothing I will use the new replacement site.

I am really enjoying the game so far, but I do need to get a few replacements for my dice. I pulled out all my miniature paint and my Exacto blade and cleaned up the large majority of the dice that had imperfections, but I still have 15-20 with unfixable/major issues. The worst seem to be the "portal dice" and the "defender of the pale" dice. Though I managed to repaint and fix 3 of the defender dice, and just have one with a mangled face and one with a cracked off corner.

Did most people seem to have 15 or so dice that were unacceptable, or am I being too picky? I had to touch up and paint 20+ die last night just so I could read them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a lot of dice that aren't perfect, but none of them are unusable, some of them are just a bit difficult to make out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:
Did most people seem to have 15 or so dice that were unacceptable, or am I being too picky?

I would say I have some with smudges, blobs, missed ink, whatever, sure, don't care.

I won't 'fix' them or get replacements. Its not worth the effort. They're little dice and with all of the faces reprinted on the cards, there's never been unplayable rolls at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
I had a lot of dice that aren't perfect, but none of them are unusable, some of them are just a bit difficult to make out.

None of my die are unusable, as you can usually make out the side by looking on the associated power cards if stuff is missing/smudged/globbed up. Probably only 5-8 die have cracks, missing edges or corners, or a mangled face.

Unusable seems like strong statement and an even lower expectation on quality for a game. I guess I would expect the game to be playable without struggling to determine what you are rolling on the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the FAQ! Clarifications on the ooze and various timing issues should put a lot of questions to rest.

There are a few outstanding questions that perhaps could be addressed in a future version of the FAQ:

1. Spell timing: I think the rules state that reaction spells must be cast on opponents turns and non-reaction spells are cast on your turn. Is there a specific phase that casting spells is done in? For example, I have the spell that attaches to a creature to add +2 glory when it scores. Do I have to attach it the turn the creature is summoned, or can I do it immediately before the creature scores on the following turn?

2. Immediate spells: the rulebook says that readying a spell is not the same as casting the spell, and you can ready the spell and leave it in your ready area until either you choose to remove it (or some other effect removes it) or you cast it. Does an Immediate spell have to be cast immediately upon readying, or can it be kept in the ready area to use as an immediate effect in a future turn?

EDIT: this thread brings up another interesting spell timing question http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/685845/timing-of-spells

3. Reaction spells: when can you cast a reaction spell during the opponents turn? can you cast it after the opponent readies another spell, but before that opponent casts that spell?

That's all I have for now, can anyone think of any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast FAQ, that hopefully bring an end to some of the many rules questions thatcome up every day.

As for the dice: my set has some smeared ink, but otherwise they are of great production value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:

Did most people seem to have 15 or so dice that were unacceptable, or am I being too picky? I had to touch up and paint 20+ die last night just so I could read them.

I got one creature die where the level/power/defense numbers are missing on two sides, I think asking for a replacement for THAT one is reasonable seeing as how you can't tell what you rolled if it comes up on one of those two sides, if you've got 15 that are that bad, yes, anything less than that I wouldn't consider unusable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brua
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
2. Immediate spells: the rulebook says that readying a spell is not the same as casting the spell, and you can ready the spell and leave it in your ready area until either you choose to remove it (or some other effect removes it) or you cast it. Does an Immediate spell have to be cast immediately upon readying, or can it be kept in the ready area to use as an immediate effect in a future turn?

I think the rules are clear on this one: "You can use Immediate Effects in any order you choose, but they can only be used immediately after rolling your dice." They are used during Step 2 of your turn (Draw and Roll Dice) and can not be readied for future turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I think that Bryan's request is very reasonable. there's really no reason to demand some sort of perfection in each die if doesn't affect playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hermann
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! This makes the game better.

I'm sure this was an accident, but it looks like you answered a question with a question:

"Q) Ghostly Spirit – when destroyed can I bring it back at any level?

A) No, it is returned at the level at which it was destroyed?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brua
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:
Did most people seem to have 15 or so dice that were unacceptable, or am I being too picky?

I haven't looked at all of the faces of all of the dice, but I've played around 10 games so far and have not had an issue reading any of the die faces that have come up. A few of the numbers are smudged/hard to read, but as others have said, I can figure out what the number is by looking at the card. I do not have any dice with broken corners. A few have hairline fractures but they do not impact the legibility of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kinsella
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
if you've already pinged us, we'll handle it via the "old way" - albeit likely a little slower than the new way (once it's ready) - give us at least a week if not 2 to respond
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aguynamedbry wrote:
Q) My dice have a small blemish, imperfection etc - can I get a replacement? What about large visual issues?

A) Small blemishes from paint and inherent marks from the injection molding process (gate marks, small bubbles etc) we ask you to accept as part of the inherent nature of dice manufacturing. If numbers are missing/illegible or the die is just an outright mess, please contact us starting August 19th 2011 at www.heroclix.com/replacement (while it says heroclix, it is also where we will be handling our game replacements). If you have already submitted a request to the previous email address it is being processed through there, but all new ones should go through the process above.

You will have to create an account. Sign up with your name and information. An activation code will be sent to the email address you supply. You will be prompted for that code the first time you log in. If you go there before August 19th, you will be prompted and instructed to send in a package. By August 19th, the Quarriors dice will be listed among the things that can be replaced and no package requirement (for 5 items) will be required.Thank you

Will this handle missing game pieces as well?

I had already contacted via the prior e-mail address, so that should be sufficient, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kinsella
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
aguynamedbry wrote:

You will have to create an account. Sign up with your name and information. An activation code will be sent to the email address you supply. You will be prompted for that code the first time you log in. If you go there before August 19th, you will be prompted and instructed to send in a package. By August 19th, the Quarriors dice will be listed among the things that can be replaced and no package requirement (for 5 items) will be required.Thank you

Will this handle missing game pieces as well?

I had already contacted via the prior e-mail address, so that should be sufficient, right?

It will handle missing pieces as well. Your previous contact should be sufficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aguynamedbry wrote:
if you've already pinged us, we'll handle it via the "old way" - albeit likely a little slower than the new way (once it's ready) - give us at least a week if not 2 to respond

Thanks for the reply. I will wait for a response from him then.

I ended up spending a couple hours tonight painting and scraping my dice. I managed to get all of them close to perfect, except for 4 or 5 of them them which have issues I can't fix without remelting the plastic The most difficult part was trying to match the paint on some of the dice, but I got the colors pretty close eventually

If anyone is having some bleeding of the paint on some dice, you can fix this pretty easily with a razor blade by scraping the paint off the raised surfaces. I had a couple die faces with a lot of excess spattered paint, and scrapped it all away to make it look basically perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Kuwait
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, dice that are "an outright mess" is going to be a very subjective term. In my set, three of the Blue / Grey dice are unreadable on at least one side. One of the "wizard" dice has a 1 missing where it should have its level.

Meh, I'm moving to Thailand in about five days... I'll live with it.

-Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played once so far so maybe I'm missing something, but I still have a question on Strong Primordial Ooze. So I roll it and it copies something when I place it into my ready area, great. Now it says I can change what it is copying once on each player's turn (I don't have it in front of me, paraphrasing here). So on the next player's turn if they put out a better creature I can then copy that? And then when it comes back around to my turn, if it is still alive, I can choose another creature to copy?

In other words, can I copy a creature with strong defensive value and then when my turn comes back around copy a creature with higher glory? Or if I can't change at the start of my turn, can I copy a creature with strong defense and then (in a 4-player game) on the player's turn right before mine I copy a new creature who has higher glory? Can I change who I am copying after a player finishes his attack?

I feel like these are obvious questions missing from the otherwise excellent FAQ, so I'm worried I am missing something obvious here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Escher26 wrote:

Meh, I'm moving to Thailand in about five days... I'll live with it.

Totally OT, but that's pretty exciting - from where?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
In other words, can I copy a creature with strong defensive value and then when my turn comes back around copy a creature with higher glory?

You can change which creature it mimics once per turn (high attack when summoned, then high defense to survive later), however it will always score its own glory, which iirc is 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:
In other words, can I copy a creature with strong defensive value and then when my turn comes back around copy a creature with higher glory?

You can change which creature it mimics once per turn (high attack when summoned, then high defense to survive later), however it will always score its own glory, which iirc is 2.

Actually, the original FAQ says it scores the copied glory:
Quote:
It copies another creature exactly including its glory (the 2 Glory is there only if there are no other creatures to copy)

So I could do high attack on my turn, then at the beginning of the next player's turn I could do high defense (before they can attack me), and then before it scores I can convert to high-glory? And can I convert to high-glory on my next turn right before it scores, or must I do so on the player's turn before me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Actually, the original FAQ says it scores the copied glory

woops! I was still referencing the unofficial faq. blush

Since the card doesn't specify when during the turn it copies I'd assume you could copy a high glory creature at the start of your turn prior to scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Since the card doesn't specify when during the turn it copies I'd assume you could copy a high glory creature at the start of your turn prior to scoring.
This would imply that there is a timespan before scoring your creatures, which would the usage of the Victory spell that gives +3 glory to a attached creature before they score.

This needs to be FAQ'ed, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Lombardi

Texas
msg tools
mb
I have a question about the reroll symbol. gulp

In the rules it clearly states that you reroll that die, implying that the only thing you do is reroll the offending die (Seems rather silly, if you just reroll that one, why have the side at all?).

The group that showed me the game defined this rule as rerolling the offending die as well as another die of your choice from your active pile.

Can you clarify?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.