GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 50.8
23.8% of Goal | 30 Days Left
Firing at a target at the same elevation with accuracy, three hexes (1200 meters) is about right for civil war artillery. But artillery fire could be effective at much greater ranges when enfilading, when firing from higher elevation, and when firing at densely packed enemy formations. Six Northern rifled guns on Little Round Top, enjoying all three of the above advantages, did immense damage to the historical Picket's Charge, but would be completely out of range in this game.
The artillery seems a bit underpowered in this game, and the tactical importance of elevations somewhat less than it should be, so I propose this
1) Elevation: Add +1 to Artillery firepower fired at targets of lower elevation. Subtract 1 from Artillery firepower fired at targets of lower elevation.
2) Long Range: Artillery may fire at targets of the same or lower elevation up to four hexes away. Artillery at one level higher elevation may fire at targets up to five hexes away. Artillery at two levels higher elevation may fire at targets up to six hexes away. Subtract 1 from the firepower of Artillery firing at targets four, five or six hexes away.
3) Cone of Fire. At 4, 5, and 6 hexes distance, the Cone of Fire of artillery flares from three hexes wide to five hexes wide.
4) No Line of Sight: Artillery may fire at a hex even if there is not a direct line of sight (LOS) to the hex. -1 from Artillery firepower if there is no direct LOS.
5) Massed Enemy Ranks: +1 to the firepower of the first Artillery block in the Fire Phase to fire into a hex which has three or four enemy blocks. Subsequent blocks firing into the hex do not get this bonus.
6) Enfilade: +1 to Artillery firepower if there are six or more blocks in the target hex, plus the hexes adjacent to the target hex on the same side of the firing Artillery's Cone of Fire. If this bonus is used, the hit receiver may take the hit from the target hex or any adjacent hex on the same side (left or right) of the Cone of Fire.
7) Maximum Artillery Firepower: Artillery's maximum firepower is 4 at close range and 3 at extended range (two or more hexes distance).
- Last edited Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:22 am (Total Number of Edits: 8)
- Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:33 am