Popular Tags: [View All]
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Andreas, I know you frequent the Geek, so I hope you can answer these questions. Our group decided answer as these situations arose, but I'd prefer to have official answers for future games.

1. Do players tussle with the Englishman, or not?

2. I am alone on a marker at the start of a turn. I choose one malt, but before I move that one malt is stolen because an opponent used the Benromach whisky. Now I will move zero spaces because I am spending zero malt and will stay on the same space. If I am still alone on this space, can I activate the marker? (The rules say, "If a player ends his movement by standing alone in a space..." Some people say I haven't moved, so I can't end my movement; others say that I did move zero spaces, then ended my movement in the same spot.)

3. You can buy or activate only one marker each turn, right? (This isn't spelled out anywhere, but I think it's impossible to do except through the use of Kinclaith, which does say you can't get two.) If you use St. Culabans Feast to swap the Feast with another marker, can you activate or purchase the new marker or not?

4. I believe all markers that are sold, discarded, or claimed (in the case of Malt Camp markers) are mixed into the reserve and can be drawn again immediately after the Englishman moves. Is this correct?

5. Just to clarify, a player can use only one whisky on his turn, correct? (The rules say only one on page 8, but "may use one or more" on page 11.)

6. Regarding Coleraine and Convalmore: To move past a player, do I need to start the turn behind him (that is, not in the same space) and end ahead of him (again, not in the same space)?

I really the enjoy the Race and would love to get these questions cleared up so that I can explain it better before the game begins rather than figure out answers (or have players vote on answers) in the middle of the game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Steding
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello

1. No tussle with the Englishmen.

2. Yes you may activate the marker - even if you stand at the end of the movement in the same area as in the beginning of the movement.

3. The rule is: if there is more than one marker in the space you can activate only one of them. If you activate St. Culabans Feast you can use it to swap another marker in your space and activate this marker (if you alone and there is no other marker in the space).

4. Yes

5. No I think a translation mistake. You can use more than one whisky marker during his turn! Most whisky markers can only be used once per game.

6. Yes he had to start behind him and end ahead of him. A player can not use these Whisky markers if he starts or ends in the same space as his "victim".

Hope this helps. Have fun with tha game.
Andreas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Andreas, thanks for the clarifications! Just to follow up:

Mod-Games wrote:
3. The rule is: if there is more than one marker in the space you can activate only one of them. If you activate St. Culabans Feast you can use it to swap another marker in your space and activate this marker (if you alone and there is no other marker in the space).

So I can activate two markers on the same turn IF AND ONLY IF I land alone on a space that has only St. Culabans Feast and swap the Feast for another marker. Is this correct? In essence, the Feast becomes another marker, so it's as if I didn't activate it in the first place, right?

Other than this situation, though, I can't activate two markers on one turn. For example, a player in a recent game landed on Sacred Place, reactivated his Kinclaith, then moved back two spaces and sold the Kinclaith. I had missed the note at the end of Kinclaith that said this move was illegal, so I wanted to check whether two activations was possible at all.

Mod-Games wrote:
5. No, I think a translation mistake. You can use more than one whisky marker during his turn! Most whisky markers can only be used once per game.

I always thought the second sentence (on page 11) was the mistake, not the first (on page 8). It's good to know that players can use their whisky in any way possible, even if most can be used once per turn.

Thanks again for the response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.