$10.00
Richard Hutnik
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found, running Zillions with this some, and find it works interesting, particularly in a misere/giveaway variant of the game where the goal is to get rid of all of one's pieces.

Normally, the game ends when one side is stalemated (unable to make a legal move), players agree to a draw, or one side has had all their pieces (kings and men) eliminated). In normal checkers, this side that has all their pieces eliminated will lose the game. In giveaway, the side that does this wins the game. Well, I had been playing around with Zillions to have the game end when a player is out of men (unpromoted checkers). In the giveaway version it is particularly interesting.

I was wondering if anyone has played around with this as a possible end game condition, and seen if it has worked well.

Edit update. This is a video where I show how the variant works:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How about elimination of all checkers (not Men + Kings) as an ending game condition?
I played around with this more. For normal checkers, one thing that goes well with this variant is to have it so a King has no mobility. Doing this limits sides stalling by moving their Kings back and forth. A King still can jump as per normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How about elimination of all checkers (not Men + Kings) as an ending game condition?
docreason wrote:
I have found, running Zillions with this some, and find it works interesting, particularly in a misere/giveaway variant of the game where the goal is to get rid of all of one's pieces.

Normally, the game ends when one side is stalemated (unable to make a legal move), players agree to a draw, or one side has had all their pieces (kings and men) eliminated).

Not sure, if I understand you correctly, but the winning condition for Suicide Checkers is not being able to move. That can come either by all pieces being captured or by their being blocked.

In general, I am pretty much surprised that there is so much confusion about Checkers rules. I thought it were a staple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zickzack wrote:
docreason wrote:

Normally, the game ends when one side is stalemated (unable to make a legal move), players agree to a draw, or one side has had all their pieces (kings and men) eliminated).

Not sure, if I understand you correctly, but the winning condition for Suicide Checkers is not being able to move. That can come either by all pieces being captured or by their being blocked.

In general, I am pretty much surprised that there is so much confusion about Checkers rules. I thought it were a staple.

In misere' versions of games, the win/loss conditions flip. Yes, one can win the game in suicide (misere') checkers by stalemating.

What I was proposing as a variant is that the Kings have nothing to do with win or loss. The idea is the either to eliminate all of an opponent's unpromoted checkers in the normal version, or eliminate one's own unpromoted checkers (in the misere') version. Keep the rest of the game the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.