$10.00
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One botched match of this was enough for me to see that this will probably not see Queen release, as it is a bit too crazy for a mainstream-targeted expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The endgame condition alone seems too hardcore-y old-timey for it to fit in the overjoyed cover of the queen edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Campuzano
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To your original question: no, no idea how to play well yet.

As for overall impressions, here is my New To Me, writeup from July:

Quote:
So far, we've played the Germany map a couple of times and thoughts have been very mixed. There are some very significant rules tweaks on this one including no set starting cities and a very 'gamer-y' end-game condition where one needs to prove the impossibility of connecting to all the major cities.

Gameplay of the original is sleek, the strategies subtle, the experience quick and clean and invigorating. The Germany expansion is none of those things. It is simultaneously less delicate and much more fragile. The two major point clusters create very intense speculative booms that can sap a company of its ability to get places since cubes can be both shares and track. The boom can lead to pretty intense crashes as well - particularly around Koln/Essen - and cube management is at an even higher premium than the original.

Overall, I think expansions should maintain the soul of the original while changing the experience in a fundamental way. SNCF:G fails at maintaining the soul of the game, but succeeds in providing a very different - and quite rich - experience. It is, frankly, a different and - to my mind - slightly inferior game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is my favorite SNCF map, but I still have no idea how to play it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhat convinced that no company should build on the Essen point-cluster: 6 trains in that region gives out 17 points. That's more than I've ever seen on the original map, and hardly attainable anyway else on the germany map too...

So what happens is

Player A starts company in Essen
Player B builds company in Essen
all players exchange shares for shares of that company.

Best case scenario for player B, who skyrocketed that company's value, is that he gets the same number of exchanges as everyone else. best case scenario, he ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We played a couple 6-player games today--not my favorite player count, but it's all I had on hand for six.

During the first game, we forgot about the game end condition. We just played until there was only one color left. At that point, we realized that the game end condition had in fact been met a little earlier than we ended it, but the game played just fine. I suppose the game could have ended much earlier depending on where the late railroads started, but that seemed like way too much work for most of the people I was playing with, and probably me too for that matter. I'd have to think about it a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.