Subject: 10 Questions About Dixit Odyssey... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am posting my mini review of Dixit Odyssey here so it doesn't get lost in the Dixit forums. Here is a link to my original 20 Questions about Dixit... review http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/666626/30-questions-about-di...

21) A separate review for Dixit Odyssey?
Dixit Odyssey is more than an expansion. It really comes across as a game fix and because of that I wanted to explore what it has to offer.

22) What is in the box?
84 new cards! (85 if you preordered) A new score track and new voting boards for up to 12 players.

23) How is the new score track?
It is a straight track numbered 1 to 30. It eliminates some of the confusion that came with the original square score track from the original game. It is also designed to sit in the middle of the table so it is much easier to see by all players. In addition, it now has numbered slots for card submissions for up to 12 players. This eliminates the somewhat clumsy nature of the number tokens from the original game.

24) Is there a scoring peg issue?
No. There seemed to be an issue with the scoring pegs being too long and not being functional. That seems to have been corrected. The holes for the pegs are small enough so the pegs stick into the hole but not completely through the card. The scoring pegs work even if the voting card is laying flat on the table. My only concern is if the holes get wallered out over time but so far has not been an issue. (I am from Indiana so “wallered” is very much a real word)

Here is a photo of the card upside down. The pegs don't fall out!

25) Is it worth expanding up to 12 players?
I love that it is now playable with up to 12 players. Dixit feels like an after dinner game so it really benefits with more players. There have been many instances when Dixit would have been the perfect game but was eliminated because it was only for 6 players. That has now been fixed. I can’t wait to get a 12 player game going. Having to pick from 12 pictures should make things pretty interesting.

26) How are the new cards?
They seem to not have as smooth of a finish as the original. Riffling through them they tend to stick to each other compared to the other two decks which seemed much smoother. Looking at them there really isn’t any difference so this is nothing that will affect game play.

27) How is the new artwork?
I have heard some say that the artwork isn’t up for as much interpretation. I have not seen that problem and think they are very much in the spirit as the original cards. Once all three decks are shuffled together I don’t think these 84 will jump out at you as “bad cards”. If I had one complaint I would say that as a whole these cards seem to be more solemn than the first two batches.

28) What else is good?
The 12 colored rabbits match their respective voting card. It is easy to see who is who during the game. The individualized artwork that has been added to the voting cards is a nice touch too.

29) Anything bad to report?
The rabbits have been redesigned. You can no longer turn them upside down to turn them into squirrels. The absence of the voting tokens has removed my method of slapping my vote down onto the table to intimidate my opponents. This will be seen positively by my game group.

30) Do I recommend Dixit Odyssey?
The game really feels complete with Dixit Odyssey. The insert in the box is perfect as it seamlessly holds everything released to date. In fact, the box is so perfect I am a bit worried about future expansions mucking everything up. The scoreboard and voting method has been tweaked and is less clumsy. If you are a Dixit fan you’ll definitely want to pick this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I'm looking forward to this game. One question:

Hockey Mask wrote:
It is a straight track numbered 1 to 30. It eliminates some of the confusion that came with the original square score track from the original game. It is also designed to sit in the middle of the table so it is much easier to see by all players.

What do you find confusing about the original score track? We always put ours in the center of the table and haven't encountered any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original one seemed to block the view of the cards when it sat in the middle of the table. The old square score track wasn't horrible but sometimes lookes like a box of rabbits once they spread out. The new linear score track is much more straight forward.

I didn't complain about the square track in my original review but they seemed to make better with Odyssey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Nice review. I'm looking forward to this game. One question:

Hockey Mask wrote:
It is a straight track numbered 1 to 30. It eliminates some of the confusion that came with the original square score track from the original game. It is also designed to sit in the middle of the table so it is much easier to see by all players.

What do you find confusing about the original score track? We always put ours in the center of the table and haven't encountered any issues.

Some of the numbers are close together and not in a completely straight line and occasionally someone may jump a point on the score track if you aren't careful.

Quote:
24) Is there a scoring peg issue?
No. There seemed to be an issue with the scoring pegs being too long and not being functional. That seems to have been corrected. The holes for the pegs are small enough so the pegs stick into the hole but not completely through the card. The scoring pegs work even if the voting card is laying flat on the table. My only concern is if the holes get wallered out over time but so far has not been an issue. (I am from Indiana so “wallered” is very much a real word)

I don't understand all the "seemed to be" things here. From what I read there was an issue. Was it just a problem with some copies or was it just all in someone's head? How was it corrected? Were new pegs sent out, new boards, is the 2nd edition already upon us to fix this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused also. Had I not read about complaints I would have not thought there was a peg issue at all.

My understanding was that the pegs were loose in the holes which meant you couldn't even lay the card on the table without the pegs popping back through. That is definately not the case with my set.

The tips of the pegs fit snuggly in the holes and don't fall out even if the card is turned upside down. My concern is as the card gets used I could see the holes getting larger and maybe not holding the pegs tightly in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Fischer
United States
Ellendale
North Dakota
flag msg tools
The truth is always in the last place you look
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what most are referring to:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try and get some pictures posted later but those holes look bigger in your picture and there isn't any chance of the pegs falling through like that on mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a pic holding the card upside down. No problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! This just moved back up to "must have" status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KeyserSoze wrote:
Here is what most are referring to:

This is how my copy is, and I bought it only a month ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the peg/hole-diameter issue I am sure everyone (i.e. the differing pictures presented so far) is accurately representing what they got in the box. Now it seems like we should figure why there are differences, how systematic they are and how can the person looking to buy a copy tell if they are going to get a box whose voting cards have problems or not.

Does anyone have additional insights?

I ask because I too (like others) have been on the fence about buying this edition or waiting for a reprint and hopefully a fix with these issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my game from Cool Stuff Inc. so I think it would be safe to assume that whatever they have in stock would match mine with the fixed pegs. It is safe to "assume", right? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I got my game from Cool Stuff Inc. so I think it would be safe to assume that whatever they have in stock would match mine with the fixed pegs. It is safe to "assume", right? shake

It's probably safe to assume, it's not geometry class after all

Nevertheless, the heads up on purchasing it at CSI is a good start to figuring this out, and if nothing else I now know where to buy my copy so thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy does not have the peg issue. The pegs fit nicely into the board. So maybe the ones they shipped to Cool Stuff work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.