Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Pala» Forums » News

Subject: Pala to be published by Cambridge Games Factory (with 2 versions included) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Director of Game Development at Cambridge Games Factory
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Several years ago, CGF picked up Pala and will (finally!) be including the game in an upcoming release. The published version is a revised version of the original, and will contain two very different variants:

Impressionism (points are bad, analogous to Hearts)
Pointillism (points are good, analogous to Spades)

Both variants use the same mechanics for playing tricks, but have very different bidding and score rules. As such, you can learn the hard stuff once, and then place two wildly different games depending with those core rules.

For those unfamiliar with the earlier (self published) edition of the game, the gist of it is a trick taking game where you can mix colors of paint (suits) in order to change the color of your cards or even of the trick itself.

In Impressionism, players collectively determine the value of different colors (suits) by discarding cards from their hands before the round begins. In Pointillism, players bid with colored chips to indicate the colors they expect to win, but over-bidding risks losing all your points for the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Pala is on track for Essen/Spiel. The artist is working hard on revising my hideous prototype, and it is coming together nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
rseater wrote:
Update: Pala is on track for Essen/Spiel. The artist is working hard on revising the hideous prototype, and it is coming together nicely.

I made the hideous prototype, and, while I care a lot about information representation, I know very little about graphic design. It turns out there is a difference!

The original prototype, by Jeff Allers, was actually quite nice. However, in the interest of rapid prototyping iterations, I made a rather ugly make-shift mock-up. I'm glad to see it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironic given the game is about art...

Will Heiko redesign this too? I'm hoping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Will Heiko redesign this too? I'm hoping!

Heiko is directing the art on this one, but his friend/colleague Anji is doing the photographic-style art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent to hear! I am looking forward to it. ...and I'm so glad CGF has apparently ditched their previous "style" and gone 100% all in with Heiko. So great to see real graphic designers supported in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Berndt
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates on this game? Haven't seen any posts for a while. How is the new artwork coming along? When will it be released here in the US?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Sylvania
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the new cover (showing the card artwork). CGF played and demoed the game at Essen, and it got a wonderful reception.

The game should be available in early 2012, first quarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOKYO Heartbroken
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
And do you know roughly when you'll be mailing out the covers to the Essen buyers without one, please?

EDIT: We played our Essen copy in Beyond Monopoly! a few weeks ago and it went down well. A couple of the players were reluctant to try trick-taking but really took to Pala.

We'll try closing more game sessions on card games in future, as they're easier to wind up and go home on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
And do you know roughly when you'll be mailing out the covers to the Essen buyers without one, please?

I just read this morning that the components for Pala and Barons are scheduled to arrive in Boston on the 20th January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Cheung
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be there at Unity Games XVIII perchance with Pala, presuming the January 20 date is not delayed for any reason?

Look forward to seeing the game by that point!

Nicholas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.