David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me about 5 plays to get all the rules right, and in the midst of them, I struggled to find answers to all my questions in these rules forums. It's notoriously easy to play with wrong rules in co-operative games, because you don't have an opponent who'd wonder why something is too easy or too hard. And playing with wrong rules can severely impact your enjoyment of the game. Because I wasn't aware of the first rule here, I ended up playing a terrible 2.5-hr game that completely turned the others off, where we finally just conceded when we ran out of grenades and the grenade box was all the way at the start.

So here's a list of rules we've whiffed on.

mb General AI Card 7 (the one that opens an emergence hole) is not in the AI deck for the Emergence Scenario. Only General AI Cards 1-6 are used. Putting in AI Card 7 makes it uber-insane difficult (especially if 4-player).

mb Make sure you read the Clarifications section for Emergence in the rulebook very closely.

mb As noted in clarifications and in the Mission Setup card, do not discard the 12A location card when it is activated. This is the grenade pick-up. You have unlimited grenades in this scenario (as unlimited as how much you delay to pick them up anyway, and by component limitations).

mb You are downed and bleeding out if you take more damage than your current health. Having 0 cards in hand = you're still up.

mb The active player chooses who the locust targets if both players are equidistant on a "nearest COG figure" activation. This means 2 COGs in an area are usually safe if 1 COG is in cover (since the active player would choose to target the COG in cover). Still vulnerable to activations that target "you".

mb Locusts that can take cover (Wretch & Drone in Emergence) always go for the best cover available. Some initial confusion here for me because the previous point treats the locusts as "dumb", whereas this one treats them as "smart".

mb Cover does not provide any defensive bonus in close combat (when attacker and defender are in the same area). You're often better off shooting instead of using your chainsaw in close quarters because of this. Don't always think of revving up the chainsaw when in close quarters!

mb Locusts have unlimited range; Locusts add 1 defensive die for each area beyond the maximum range of the weapon you're shooting them with.

mb You take cover only after you have "moved" in the Order Phase. Locusts take cover only after they have moved (or spawned) in the activation step, or as a result of an Order Card that moved them.

mb If you run out of ammo tokens on a weapon, you cannot use the overkill or the normal attack. However, the lancer and snub pistol you start with (unless you're Dominic Santiago) both have abilities that can be used when they're out of ammo.

mb Ammo tokens do not include grenade tokens; you cannot use grenades to Guard; and grenades cannot be thrown beyond 2 range. All make thematic sense: grenades are rare; it takes too long to wind up a grenade throw; and you cannot throw a grenade beyond your arm strength.

mb If a locust is killed without being wounded, remember to flip a wound token over to see if it dropped a weapon. Also keep a discard pile of wound tokens for each locust.

mb Blue borders mean you can see through them (and use them for determining range), but not move through them.

mb 4 weapons max for each COG, and you can never drop or swap out the grenade. (just like in the video game). Though in the video game, you can't replace the grenade, and you can only have 1 sidearm and 2 large weapons.

mb The "deal 1 wound" omen special ability on the lancer, snub pistol etc is 1 point of damage that could be blocked by defense dice, not automatic damage. i.e. the dice you use for lancer and snub pistol attacks really have four 1-wound faces, one 2-wound face and one blank.

Added later...

mb There is no exploration of new map tiles in Emergence. Shuffle the 4 Location Cards in the deck, draw them, and place the tiles in the order you drew them. This is your map for your game.

mb You can perform each special action (I call it the "picking things up" action or the X button) once on your turn (so max 3 special actions per turn). You may perform special actions between each action you take, a.k.a each sentence on the Order Card.

==========================

Be sure to add any tips you have in bold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On grenades in scenario 1: There is no component limitation. Feel free to use a coin or other marker if you run out of tokens. Do note that you can only activate one location per turn (as well as only pick up one dropped weapon per turn, and revive one bleeding out COG per turn; you can do all three in one turn, however), so Damon can't just get 100 grenades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of covered under...

selwyth wrote:
mb Make sure you read the Clarifications section for Emergence in the rulebook very closely.

...but note that upon initial setup, spawn Locusts according to the location card and the number of players, THEN seal the Emergence Hole in each area but the last one. The first game I played had us breezing halfway across the map with no opposition because we only spawned enemies at the very end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
mb Cover does not provide any defensive bonus in close combat (when attacker and defender are in the same area). You're often better off shooting instead of using your chainsaw in close quarters because of this.

Err, what ? Cover doesn't help against attacks (shooting or otherwise) from the same area, so why is shooting preferred over chainsaw? Or are you saying close combat is any combat when attacker and defender are in the same area? Chainsaw additionally is 4 (5 with Marcus) dice, autokill on Omen, whereas with shooting opponent still rolls defense dice. Given that normal attack with Lancer is 2 dice, I'm probably going to be sawing people as much as possible, especially with Marcus.

Which will most likely lead to a lot of quoting of this:

"Buzzsaw: I love this saw! It's a part of me... now I'm gonna make it part of *you*! " laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chainsaw is kill or miss, nothing in between. If you don't roll any Omens, no damage what so ever. We played that the wrong way at first too (was wondering why they made it so powerful, why bother shooting when you can close and do 4D damage instead. Now we know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

Err, what :what: ? Cover doesn't help against attacks (shooting or otherwise) from the same area, so why is shooting preferred over chainsaw? Or are you saying close combat is any combat when attacker and defender are in the same area? Chainsaw additionally is 4 (5 with Marcus) dice, autokill on Omen, whereas with shooting opponent still rolls defense dice. Given that normal attack with Lancer is 2 dice, I'm probably going to be sawing people as much as possible, especially with Marcus.

Should have phrased that you don't always want to chainsaw people; shooting them might be just as good since there's no cover bonus.

Anyway, my next Gears project is to crunch the #s to calculate probability for 2/4 attack dice against 1 defense die versus 4-dice chainsaw etc.

Another trade-off with chainsaw is you have to exit cover, while you don't have to if you shoot in the same area.

Still, I love going chainsaw-berserk with one of those attack-3-times-in-your-area cards. That one always calls for a chainsaw!

One more embarrassing mis-step
mb There is no exploration of new map tiles in Emergence. Shuffle the 4 Location Cards in the deck, draw them, and place the tiles in the order you drew them. This is your map for your game.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had gotten confused with the exploration rules in the rulebook, and thought each scenario would have you play in a new tile each time you reach the exit area of a map tile, and I hence set the game up in a hugely degenerate fashion with only 1 map tile to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are downed and bleeding out if you take more damage than your current health. Having 0 cards in hand = you're still up.

damn. and here was me thinking "I know all the rules that people have been missing blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Chainsaw is kill or miss, nothing in between. If you don't roll any Omens, no damage what so ever. We played that the wrong way at first too (was wondering why they made it so powerful, why bother shooting when you can close and do 4D damage instead. Now we know).

I know, but 2 attack die vs 1 defense die on a full health Drone (3 health), I'm not feeling those odds. 4-dice for a straight kill, not sure about the odds (4d6, looking for one 6), but I'm more of a risk taker, I think I prefer those odds. Marcus with 5 even more.

As for breaking cover, if you're doing attack first, move second, doesn't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Purple Paladin wrote:

I know, but 2 attack die vs 1 defense die on a full health Drone (3 health), I'm not feeling those odds. 4-dice for a straight kill, not sure about the odds (4d6, looking for one 6), but I'm more of a risk taker, I think I prefer those odds. Marcus with 5 even more.

As for breaking cover, if you're doing attack first, move second, doesn't really matter.

4d6 looking for at least 1 six, you'll get it 51.77% of the time according to small roller. Increases to 59.81% with 5d6 for Marcus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pelkey
United States
Wallkill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not just Emergence discard some AI; all the mission set-up cards have a list of General AI that are used. It's in small print on the bottom front of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonnieK wrote:
You are downed and bleeding out if you take more damage than your current health. Having 0 cards in hand = you're still up.

damn. and here was me thinking "I know all the rules that people have been missing blush

Yeah I somehow missed this one.. Knowing 2 of those 3 solo games yesterday shouldn't have ended when they did is a bummer. Oh well, good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
mb You take cover only after you have "moved" in the Order Phase. Locusts take cover only after they have moved in the activation step, or as a result of an Order Card that moved them.

Minor thing, but Locusts also take cover when they spawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomlad wrote:
Not just Emergence discard some AI; all the mission set-up cards have a list of General AI that are used. It's in small print on the bottom front of the card.

I noticed that before, but I thought there were only 6 General AI Cards. Argh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post! Very useful to remind yourself before each play! Thankfully my first play was done with all the correct rules. But, it was solo, so I didn't have any distractions This game is really fun, and half way through my game, I realized I was camping in the first room killing enemies as they came to me...but, I was not making any progress towards my goal! laugh So, I had 2 cards that let me run 5 spaces and I made a run for the other end of the map. Couple turns later I blew up the emergence hole. Unfortunately (because I didn't remember), that just triggered the the second phase of emergence! surprise

Great game I only wish they had multiple dice types like Doom had. That was so fun to be rolling different dice depending on the gun. And different skill cards...Or, at least more characters to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Pape
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
mb 4 weapons max for each COG (just like in the video game). Though in the video game, you can't replace the grenade, and you can only have 1 sidearm and 2 large weapons.

Great list. I think I've gotta dispute this one though. Saying that "Though in the video game, you can't replace the grenade" leads me to think that you're saying you can replace the grenade in the board game, but the last block of text at the end of the "Dropped Weapon Markers" box on page 20 says the following...

"Important Weapon Restriction: Each player is limited to one Bolo Grenade card and three other Weapon cards. Players may optionally discard Weapon cards (excluding Bolo Grenades) at any time. Discarded Weapon cards are returned to the game box."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, nothing like finding out that the list of common-misplayed rules you put out contains 1 rule that you're still playing wrongly. I'm going for authenticity here!

Thanks, fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more questions...

If an AI card wants to spawn Locust within 4 spaces, but the only Emergence hole is at the other end of the map, do you a) discard with no effect or b) replace it with another AI card?

A guard action takes out the last locust after it moves but before it attacks. Does this a) trigger the "otherwise" result or b)is the card simply discarded with no further effect since there were locust in play during the movement portion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scruffdog wrote:
If an AI card wants to spawn Locust within 4 spaces, but the only Emergence hole is at the other end of the map, do you a) discard with no effect or b) replace it with another AI card?

I think I've had this one come up too, it's a Wretch card, isn't it? Spawn 2 W at emergence hole within 4 spaces IIRC. I saw no "otherwise" text in that, so it seems to be one of the few cases where the COGs get a break. Of course, this only really works in Emergence early, since it has all those other EHs sealed except the last (or in other missions if you aggressively seal them).

Quote:
A guard action takes out the last locust after it moves but before it attacks. Does this a) trigger the "otherwise" result or b)is the card simply discarded with no further effect since there were locust in play during the movement portion?

You still activated the card for its regular effect, I'd say that fulfilled the rules for AI cards. It was drawn and executed initially, if the Locust happens to die in the middle of it, you don't switch to the otherwise option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
mb You are downed and bleeding out if you take more damage than your current health. Having 0 cards in hand = you're still up.

This one got me a few times. I'd get down to 0 and think I was bleeding out, when really you need to get to "negative one" to be bleeding out.

selwyth wrote:
mb Locusts have unlimited range; Locusts add 1 defensive die for each area beyond the maximum range of the weapon you're shooting them with.

This sounds a bit confusing. Locusts don't really have "unlimited" range. Their range is dictated by their AI card. The card will state something to the affect of "if within 2 spaces" or so, which effectively becomes their range. However, there are no arbitrary "range" stats on a Locust to affect their attacks, range is simply defined by the individual AI card.

selwyth wrote:
mb The "deal 1 wound" omen special ability on the lancer, snub pistol etc is 1 point of damage that could be blocked by defense dice, not automatic damage. i.e. the dice you use for lancer and snub pistol attacks really have four 1-wound faces, one 2-wound face and one blank.

Oh, didn't realize that. I figure it was just one wound, period, and then the rest of the attack was figured as normal. I have yet to have a Locust roll more shields than I did damage, so it's not yet come up, but still good to know.

Added later...

selwyth wrote:

In addition to this, I would add that you leave the Map Card next to the Tile during setup. For some reason, I could not find what to do with the map card during my first play, and eventually figured it had to be that.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another mistake we made: We put AI cards 1 through 6 in the AI deck. Wrong, you ALSO must include all AI cards that have the name of one of the A/B/C Locusts in the deck too.

So you should have 18 cards in the AI deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Another mistake we made: We put AI cards 1 through 6 in the AI deck. Wrong, you ALSO must include all AI cards that have the name of one of the A/B/C Locusts in the deck too.

So you should have 18 cards in the AI deck.

Reinforcements must have been fun with a 6-card AI deck, combined with Firefight gulp .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we were wondering wtf was going on with 6 AI cards in the deck, and "Chose another AI card" every other turn; sometimes 2-3 times in a row. We just thought is was the learning scenario, so just a few cards.

Then we tried China Shop. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
mb Locusts that can take cover (Wretch & Drone in Emergence) always go for the best cover available.

Two questions:

1) Where did you find that rule? I thought it was one of the many situations where the current player gets to choose. I just made a search for all occurrences of the word "cover" in the rulebook and didn't find anything.

2) If there is such a rule, what is the "best" cover if a Locust is between two COGs and has two possible cover spaces in his area, either of which protects him better against either of the two COGs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
denny prijadi
Russia
Sevastopol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Well, we were wondering wtf was going on with 6 AI cards in the deck, and "Chose another AI card" every other turn; sometimes 2-3 times in a row. We just thought is was the learning scenario, so just a few cards.

Then we tried China Shop. blush

what happen in China Shop =D do tell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.