Subject: Declaring Victory with All Objects but WITHOUT the Seal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group and I are slowly getting our brains around this game (and having lots of fun doing so), but there's still some niggling questions. I'll keep to the main one here...

The wording on the Seal of the Lodge makes it seem like it's a tertiary condition, i.e., you win but the rest of your team doesn't. In the last game we played (which had it's own problems, but not in this regard), the declarer was Brotherhood, had two goblets and the Goblet/Bag (draw pile was empty), and didn't have the seal.

He declared victory for the team, which was technically correct because he did have at least one of the objects needed. However, since he had all the objects, he wasn't obligated to name anyone else on his team (though by then the teams were fairly obvious, so he did so out of courtesy). Though the rules make it plain that you don't need to name everyone on your team (just the ones with your object) is it kosher to declare victory with just yourself even though you don't have the Seal, as it's technically a legal team win?

(NB, I know that if it comes down to this point, we as the players have let the game go on too long, but we're still figuring out the proper declaration process. This, however, is the topic for a different thread)

Thoughts would be appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:
My gaming group and I are slowly getting our brains around this game (and having lots of fun doing so), but there's still some niggling questions. I'll keep to the main one here...

The wording on the Seal of the Lodge makes it seem like it's a tertiary condition, i.e., you win but the rest of your team doesn't. In the last game we played (which had it's own problems, but not in this regard), the declarer was Brotherhood, had two goblets and the Goblet/Bag (draw pile was empty), and didn't have the seal.

He declared victory for the team, which was technically correct because he did have at least one of the objects needed. However, since he had all the objects, he wasn't obligated to name anyone else on his team (though by then the teams were fairly obvious, so he did so out of courtesy). Though the rules make it plain that you don't need to name everyone on your team (just the ones with your object) is it kosher to declare victory with just yourself even though you don't have the Seal, as it's technically a legal team win?

(NB, I know that if it comes down to this point, we as the players have let the game go on too long, but we're still figuring out the proper declaration process. This, however, is the topic for a different thread)

Thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm sure your team can win if only one of you has the items without the seal -without checking the wording is you have to name who has them ... you start with yourself.

The bag through can only be used if the draw pile was empty (which you state it was)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I think you might also have just answered another question I had in a thread I just posted...

EDIT: Fixed the link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
You did it correctly indeed.

Game play wise, it's obviously very risky to concentrate all the items on just one player. For once, because of the coat of arms, but also because, if targeted for an attack, the information revealed to the attacking player can be devastating and encourage further attacks... it's very tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this thread!

I was playing that you had to name at least another player in your team.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.