Subject: Army of Frogs - Placement Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff B
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Could someone please clarify an issue I'm having with the rules of placing a frog? I understand that the first step in each play is to move a frog. Obviously, on the first turn, the players must place a frog first. This is where the confusion starts. I am aware of the general placement rules, in that one's own frog color may only be placed without touching an existing frog of yours, while an opponent's frog color may be placed adjacent to any frog, regardless of color. The question is, what happens in a rare circumstance that (assuming two players, red and blue) both players initially draw four red frogs? It seems to me that, regardless of who places first, the first red frog can legally be placed. However, after that, what happens? Can red (assuming he plays second) respond with a red frog as well, since it would not be possible for him to play anywhere else?

Another hypothetical situation would be if red initially draws one blue frog and one red frog, while blue draws two blue frogs. If red plays his blue frog first, can the second player (blue) legally respond by placing one of his blue frogs?

I'm sorry if my questions are confusing, but I can't seem to find a clear answer to this by reading the instructions. The rules state that if one of the three required actions cannot be performed, that step is skipped by that player. I don't find any confusion to the placement rules, except as to how they apply in the very beginning of the game. Thanks for any advice!!

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules for the Add action say explicitly "If you cannot add a stone for any reason, you go on to the next action." So I'm not sure what the confusion is in your example. Are you worried about a deadlock where the game doesn't/can't progress? If both players have only red frogs, the non-red player will still add a frog on their turn, so the game progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff B
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi Russ. It's funny, right after I posted this, the exact hypothetical situation happened to me while playing the dumbot on boardspace; i.e., both the AI and I drew two green frogs each at the beginning of the game. I placed one of my green frogs first (I was green) and then drew another green frog, whereby the dumbot responded by placing one of its green frogs. Next, I moved my frog by hopping over the other one. However, since I still only had green frogs, I could not place, and had to pass. The game then progressed as usual.

So, this confirms that a similar situation would occur were I player 2 (blue), and we both drew two blue frogs. The dumbot would place first, then I would not be able to place any of my two blue frogs and would pass.

I was trying to imagine a situation (after you mentioned it) in which a deadlock could occur before all frogs are placed, but I couldn't think of a way that would happen, though I welcome someone to prove me wrong.

I think John Yianni wrote the rules to both Hive and AOF in a very concise and clear way--I can't imagine them being written in a better way. That being said, I have found that playing Hive and Army of Frogs on boardspace is a really good tool to see how the rules are actually implemented, since only legal moves are shown and allowed. It would be much easier to misapply some of the more complex rules if one hasn't played the games first on boardspace, or with an experienced player. Anyway, thanks for the response, Russ!!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.