Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I really wonder if the game was designed first and they decided to make it 3D or if the technology became reasonable and they made a game to it.

Let's address the 3D thing alone first.

These are really high quality lenticular images. Are they hard to look at? Sometimes. But they are way freakin cool.

The problem I have is you lay attacks on the opponent, but the attacks appear to issue from the card, so once its on the opponent, it appears they are throwing the attack, not getting hit by it. Odd.

Also odd is that attacks animate vertically, and characters horizontally. When they stack, you kind of have to wiggle them odd to get everything. OK, the whole deal isn't perfectly realized.

Yes, the mechanics really do make very nice use of the see through cards, which could have been just as successful without the 3D.

But what it comes down to is my son and I looking in a store to see if they had a copy of Earth Reborn, and his head nearly popping off due to the funky graphics.

They didn't have Earth Reborn, but I ended up with two starters and a booster to this game because my son freaked out.

He's 12.

OK, to tell the truth, I love transparent card mechanisms and the 3D really was executed in a way I've never seen. It really is pretty damn cool. So I caved.

On to the game.

The game play is simpler than Pokemon. This is not necessarily a bad thing. On first glance, there's so little game its stupid. The "basic" game is about as sophisticated as War with a standard card deck.

Skip the basic game. I don't know who the target audience is for that.

There's actually A LOT to consider when playing the cards. Way more than is first apparent. Its a 3 on 3 fight, so who to target is a choice right off. Disable someone's special ability without wounding him, lower his defenses, or attack? Wow. Nifty decisions.

The most annoying choice to make is that many attacks are usable as instant effects instead of the attack. Sometimes you just want to get that attack off, but then you aren't holding onto the nice effect any more.

One of the hardest things to recognize is the 'height' of the attacks. There are 3 hit point zones per fighter, and if you have the greatest attack in the universe but it only hits where hes already been wounded, its useless. Damn. This is very important to remember during deck building. You need to spread attacks out not just by color type (who knows what that represents) but also height of attack and whether or not they have a cool effect.

Then some cards are made better by hard to notice details like what the will cover up on the cards beneath them.

There's a lot of detail here if one wants to get all gamery about it. And a real fast playing game if you just want some preteens to beat each others guys up.

So at first glance, I was wowed by cards. Then disappointed by lack of depth. Then intrigued by hidden depth.

We're not talking major deep, but combos are most definitely possible and themed decks and all sorts of things.

"Mana" in this game increases automatically each round without having to play land or energy cards, removing that strategic aspect from deckbuilding.

It is far from a bad game, and as far as introducing new gamers, especially the Cartoon Network crowd where there is apparently a show, the game shines nicely. It plays very fast, has some decisions to be made, and looks awesome. Its a far better choice than YuGiOh and a step simpler in rules than Pokemon.

Its a bit expensive, due to the nature of the cards, but we've enjoyed a few rounds of fun with it, so I'm happy with the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have had a similar experience. I picked it up after the commercials popping up CN intrigued me enough to check the vids and reviews here.

That night I had to hop over to K-Mart for something, and lo and behold, they had a wide selection of Redakai stuff. I picked up the Stax structured deck and a Championship Tin and we played three games the next day. We pretty much loved it immediately.

The Animation/3D is a gimmick, but it's a nifty one. The clear cards are integral to the gameplay, and we've loved how that visual impact of an attack has worked. The biggest joy, though, has been how much game there really is underneath.

The boy is 10 and we've been playing the fire out Quarriors, Dominion and Rune Age lately, but this has made a very nice shift in pace and attitude from the Deck-building routine. The key takeaway there is that we haven't felt any significant let down in game quality between those games and Redakai.

The props included in the tin are not necessary, but I liked how the three-card tray for the in-play heroes and their stacked monsters and attacks kept the stacks readable during play, so I cranked one out on my own using plasticard I had on hand. It has worked well.

So far, we're about a half-dozen games in and enjoying the heck out of it. I picked up an Imperiaz deck for variety the next day at TRU, but I haven't felt the need to start full on deck-tuning yet. That could lead down a dark road I haven't traveled since I went through Magic:TG detox a decade ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty entertaining game from what I've played. I agree that there's more depth than I expected, with a lot of decisions to make about how to manage your hand and how/when to best use the cards. To top it all off, the 3D is downright stunning!

I'd argue that the extra goodies included in the starters are somewhat necessary. There's the 3-card tray, which keeps everything stacked nicely in play. Without it, the attacks would slide around on the stack and make it a real pain to constantly square-up the stacks. Then there's the deck tray that encases your draw deck. Since the cards are partially transparent, you'd be able to see details about your upcoming draws without using the case. These things may not be a big deal to some folks, but I'd not want to play the game without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Since the cards are partially transparent, you'd be able to see details about your upcoming draws without using the case.

Put a single opaque card on top and draw from the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dealing from the bottom of the deck, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jenkins
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
Since the cards are partially transparent, you'd be able to see details about your upcoming draws without using the case.

Put a single opaque card on top and draw from the bottom.

The packs even include opaque white cards (presumably) for this purpose.

I just use an opaque ultrapro deck box to draw from.

For Kairu energy tracking, I use eekamouse's recommended method from the DriveThruReview video, pulling glass beads out of the tin and placing them on an opaque card as I gain energy. I slide them off the card when I spend them and push 'em back on when they recharge. For whatever reason, I have found the metaphor works better than the clip-sliders on the card screen.

So, clearly I like using props, but I'm having success using stuff I had around rather than spending another $30 for another Championship Tin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.