Hide
6 Posts

Beowulf: The Movie Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: How broken is this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafalek K.
msg tools
I've read a couple of Beowulf reviews and I'm quite interested in this game. It does tick all the right boxes for me:

- elegant Kniziesque maths-based game mechanics,
- straightforward rules,
- very nice production values (including figures and a pretty board),
- scales well and makes a good 2-player game,
- it's quite cheap.

I don't care that much about the whole artificially-added Beowulf storyline, but OK, that's fine.

However! I read that two of the tiles are overpowered and so the game seems to be "borderline broken", as one geek wrote in a review. Since I hate to modify anything in the game rules (it just doesn't feel right), I'm willing to play by the official rules.

Now, can this be an enjoyable game? Or will the official rules lead to frustration eventually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although the infamous golden statue does indeed give a boost to whoever happens to be the lucky one to draw it, I still enjoy the game.

But I think the original version Auf Heller und Pfennig is still the best version - more elegant and minimalist rules, and it has simpler clearer easier to read graphics than the in-between version Kingdoms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdoms/Auf Heller is more elegant, Beowulf is more "thematic" and varied. I like both.
As for the golden statue, you can find some house rules here; I use one of them... Also I use one of the Kingdoms rules instead of what's in the Beowulf rulebook, but still, with some minor changes it's an enjoyable mathy tile-laying game.

edit: checked the details.
Golden Statue - we play After a player places the Golden Statue tile on the board, he may immediately switch the positions of any 2 other tiles IN THE SAME ROW OR COLUMN AS THE STATUE already on the board.

The statue is still very strong but at least not omnipotent this way.

Treachery - according to the original rules of Beowulf,
Quote:
A Treachery tile cancels the values of all positive tiles in its row and column. It does not affect the values of negative tiles. When the last figure or tile of an act is placed, but before figures are scored for that act, turn all positive tiles in a Treachery tile’s row and column facedown; these tiles now have a value of 0.

We use Treachery as the Dragon tile from Kingdoms:
Quote:
Dragon Tile: The dragon tile cancels all resource tiles in its row and column, so that only the hazard tiles (if any) have any value when that row and column are scored.

In other words, the treachery tiles don’t have an effect on other columns and rows: we don’t turn the positive tiles facedown, we just count the positive tiles int he row and column of Treachery as having a value of 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 5 times with the rules as written and have really enjoyed it so I'd say it's good fun for at least a few plays without tweaks. That being said, we have noticed the Treachery and Golden Statue tile seem way over powered game changers and to continue enjoying the game we'll probably have to either remove them soon or adopt the mentioned house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Knizia, this one is another solid, solid game. Not broken at all. It seems many players on here, however, take out one or two tiles. We don't do that. It's a combination of chance and skill---drawing tiles, but thinking ahead and choosing when and where to place tiles and pawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cotter
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only are the Treachery and Golden statue overly powerful, the Gorge and Good Counsel often seem weak choices. The last two aren't gamebreakers, but it can suck if you're forced to play one because your choices have become that limited. The first two however, really swing the points too much, and on those occasions when one player gets both of them you can add up all 3 other opponents scores together and still have probably been beat by that lucky drawer. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.