Popular Tags: [View All]
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the "bright idea" to upgrade the playing pieces to miniatures a couple months ago. After finally tracking down all of the micro-machines on eBay and spending a small fortune, I was able to start.

I still need a few more weekends to finish everything but here is what I've done so far:

You may see additional photos in my gallery.

The Rebels: (Rebel Commandos, Heroes and Chewie Stealing an AT-ST)
For Leia, I ended up using a Rebel Commando with a pistol. I painted her pants blue/gray and boots black to match her outfit in the movie. Han's outfit was also painted to match the movie (brown paints, black vest). After looking closer at this image, I see a few flaws that will be fixed later (Leia's base is not fully covered). You may notice the heroes are not centered on the base like the Rebel Commandos. This is because I have a wound marker I will place on the base when they get hit.

Ewok Catapults: (scratch-built)
I tried to find an existing miniature catapult in pewter in various scales (15mm) but nothing really fit. I ended up making these catapults using balsa wood, styrene, brass rod, kite string and foam for the boulders. I modeled them after the catapults on the cover of the game box (Ralph's artwork) rather than the ones used in the movie.

Imperial Speederbikes:

For all of the miniatures, I've given them a wash with some highlighting. The original micro-machine paint jobs are really plain and lack depth. My paint style is a little "messy" but I like how it looks.

For the map, I plan to use 7-hex Heroscape terrain tiles with miniature trees (using nails with a forest canopy method - cheapest way I found) and additional Heroscape tiles for mountains. The game map will be 4 feet x 4 feet once I'm done and 3D instead of flat.

All bases, red for rebels and blue for imperials, were made by Litko using their custom ordering process. The catapults are mounted on 40mm bases and everything else is 30mm.

What's next? I should have the Ewoks done within the next couple of weekends. They are mounted two Ewoks per base and the three leaders are one per base. I'm also using a couple of Ewok Gliders in place of ground troops (no special rules planned yet).

All that will be left will be the remaining Empire units (AT-ST, Stormtroopers, Imperial Officers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Since this is happening on Endor, I guess I should use more grass than rock. I'll add some more grass to these existing minis too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Looks fantastic. Patiently waiting for more..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Ewok Army Complete

Ewoks are setup as 2 miniatures per base and leaders are 1 per base. A couple of the Ewoks I made as gliders but I have yet to make any special rules. I don't think they were very effective anyway so probably no additional rules needed.

Like the other minis, I used a wash and highlight on all of them. The leaders are not centered on the base to make room for a damage marker (using Litko plastic skulls).

Will start on the Empire side next weekend.

As before, I have some close-ups of the Ewoks in my gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
These look fantastic! I'd love to do something like this for Assault on Hoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great_Mazinga wrote:
These look fantastic! I'd love to do something like this for Assault on Hoth.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I just finished the 14 Stormtroopers this morning. I have another 16 I'm going to base just to use them for other games besides this one.

This last image shows a before and after of a micro-machine Stormtrooper. Mine is a little messy but I prefer it over the original.

I'm currently re-basing the previous minis (heroes, ewoks, et al) with more green as well. I should have those photos up later today.

Thanks for looking,
Brent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing new except the basing. I added more green to everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AT-STs complete (with Drivers):

If you are familiar with the rules, once the blast door has been breached, units may dismount: AT-ST to Security Trooper and Speederbike to Stormtrooper. You may only do this if there are destroyed units available but I decided to go ahead and make some AT-ST drivers (I would still use the rule regarding destroyed Security and Stormtroopers)

The middle two dismounted minis are actual AT-ST drivers by micro-machine (on one knee, no weapon and they look like they are break dancing) while the others are just imperials that I painted to match the rest.

I also created separate dismounted minis for the Speederbikes and plan to finish them next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm no longer working on this project. If anyone is interested, it is now on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320803776...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! How could you let this go after so much work!? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great_Mazinga wrote:
D'oh! How could you let this go after so much work!? surprise

I hate to do it but it's a lack of time needed to finish it as I planned. I still have 40 miniatures to finish plus the plans I had for the map would cost more than the miniatures and take even longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been almost a year later but I was cleaning out/backing up files and found some of the "what-if" heroes I did for alternate scenarios. The winner of the auction paid extra for me to finish painting the remaining 40 miniatures including the heroes shown below.

I added a lightsaber to Luke using round styrene tube plus a brass rod with green stuff around it. For Yoda, the lightning is brass rod with green stuff as well. Boba I just put on a foam rock but he is pinned with a brass rod into the plastic base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.