Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play up to 4 characters per side. 4 on 4 would take quite awhile for everyone to go so I would recommend 2 on 2 or 3 on 3. Assymetrical matchups are also OK if you feel like it.

One team consists of COGS and the other Locusts. Each player chooses a miniature (No Wretches/Berserkers). You will not use a character card and none of the COGS have special abilities. Each character is equipped with a Lancer (2 ammo), Pistol (2 ammo), and 1 grenade. Everyone has a Defense of 1.

Follow all of the standard rules as if everyone was playing a COG. Each character has a hand of 6 Order Cards, Locusts can revive each other, Guard, etc.

If a card is played that refers to either COGS or Locusts on the Order Card, treat all allies as COGS and all enemies as Locusts. For example, if the card says "1 COG in the same space receives an Order Card", the Locust team can play this card and give a teammate an Order Card.

Turn Order alternates with starting team randomly determined or determined by scenario. After team A activates a single character, team B activates an unactivated character. After you activate your character place a token next to the character to indicate he has acted this round. The order can switch each round, make an opposed roll to see which side activates a model first (unless again the scenario specifies otherwise).

Guard Reactions - The Guard Reaction no longer functions as it does in the base game. Instead it can be used to either initiative a Chainsaw Duel (See below) or it may be discarded in reaction to move your character up to 1 space (including into or out of cover)
Suggested by: oatesatm

Death - If you are unlucky enough to be caught by the lancer chainsaw and the wielder rolls at least one Omen, you are outright dead and cannot be revived this round.

Chainsaw Duels - If somebody goes in for a chainsaw attack, and the defender has a Lancer as well, he can attempt a Guard if he has an applicable card. Each player separately rolls 4 dice and compares the number of Omens rolled; if one player rolls more Omens than the other, he wins and slices up his opponent. If both players have rolled at least one Omen and there is a tie, the player with the most Achievements wins the duel and kills his opponent. If both are tied in Achievements no one dies.
Suggested by: Dexter345

Opposed rolls - If the scenario or rules state you need to make an opposed roll (such as for deciding the team that activates first as above), you each roll 3 attack dice and count the number of hits. Omens count as a single hit. The side with the greater number of hits succeeds. If you tie, the side with the most combined Achievements wins. If still tied, re-roll.

You may bid ammo to add dice to an opposed roll. Each ammo or grenade token bid adds one die to roll. Bids can come from any player and any weapon. At the start of the round before actually rolling to see which side has initiative, each player should secretly place 0 or more ammo/grenade tokens into a closed fist. Everyone reveals their bids simultaneously. Teams can confer/huddle up before bidding.

Information - Ammo tokens and weapon cards are not public information anymore. You should screen your items so that only your side can see what you have.

Each multiplayer map contains deployment rules, map setup, and any other special rules that may apply. Generally maps are played till each opposing player is bleeding out, in which case the round ends and you restart the scenario with the victorious side gaining a point. Generally you play till 3 or 5 points but a scenario may have special rules concerning this.

What to look forward to in the coming days:
-A sample scenario and guidelines for creating your own
-Multiplayer Achievements
-Optional rules for starting loadout choice (start with Gnasher instead of Lancer, ammo choices, etc.)

Please give me some feedback and let me know your ideas/what you'd like to see. I have several intense scenarios in my head I will be formulating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If everybody starts with the same equipment, I don't really see the point of keeping ammo tokens and weapons hidden. All it serves to do is benefit people who keep count, and I don't think this game should be about keeping count.

Even if random weapon pickups are secret at the time they're picked up, the enemy will eventually know what you're holding once you shoot them with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points but, you will have to do some math and utilize memory skills to determine how much ammo the player(s) have used throughout the scenario and how many ammo tokens they have bid.

As you stated, Random Pickups are an important aspect of this as well but those will be covered by the specific scenario. Not knowing what your opponent picked up is huge and the psychological effect is certainly present (if you know he picked up an area effect weapon you won't bunch up).

Once he fires the weapon, yes, it's no longer a surprise. I still think it's worth it.

Also, loadouts are the same for everyone in the base Versus ruleset. Scenarios may (and will) modify this. There will be optional rules (as I hinted) towards customizing your loadout (different amount of ammo and starting weapons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should also rules that a character can only bleed out once and if they go down again they are out. Streamlines it a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion Sam. I'll have to play more to see if I like that or not.

One thing I really like about bleeding out in this multiplayer variant is the tense situations that arise with trying to rescue your teammates while the opponent uses their carcass as bait, setting up an ambush.

I can visualize a situation where a COG is downed, his buddy goes and rescues him but they eat a Grenade and both get dropped. Now their remaining two teammates have to decide if they go for their buddies or not. I'm not sure how much is gained by saying that original guy is gone.

Plus, I wouldn't want to get downed, then get brought back up and shot again only to find myself having to watch the rest of the group play for another hour. At least I have hope if I can still be rescued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Another item you could potentially include from the game (and tone down how overpowered a successful chainsaw bayonet attack would be), is to have Gears 2-style chainsaw duels.

If somebody goes in for a chainsaw attack, and the defender has a Lancer as well, he can discard a card to guard. Then they separately roll for Omens; if there is a tie, nobody gets killed, but if one player rolls more Omens than the other, he wins and slices up his opponent. It adds quite a bit more risk to the chainsaw melee attack, but I feel like that should be a risky move, considering the potential reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome idea Darren! I'm editing the main post to include that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Optional Rules

Heavy Bleeding - When a character is damaged and bleeding out place a 6-sided die next to the knocked over figure with the 1 side facing up. Every time the character is activated increase the face-up side by 1 (from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.) if the character does nothing, and by 2 if he chooses to crawl a single space. Note - you must activate a character who is bleeding out at some point in the round.

When the D6 reaches 6 the character is dead and removed from the game.

Last Leg - A character who is reduced to a state of Bleeding Out is considered to be on his Last Leg. Next time he is Bleeding Out he is considered dead and may not be revived. Note - this may become an official rule.
Suggested by: Mmzomba

Optional Weapon Loadouts - When choosing your character you may also choose your starting equipment. You start with 1 primary (either a Lancer or Gnasher Shotgun), and a snub pistol. Ammo and Grenades are chosen based on the following points system:

Each character has 7 points.
Primary Ammo - 2 points
Secondary Ammo - 1 point
Grenades - 2 points

Note - Do Not forget about bidding ammo for Initiative at the start of each round. This can be crucial and makes the cheaper secondary ammo more desirable.

On Borrowed Time (requires a stopwatch for each side) - Each side/team has 2 minutes to act total. Start the team's stopwatch when it is their turn to activate a character and stop it when they are finished. When a team's stopwatch hits 2 minutes they must immediately end their turn and will not be able to activate any additional characters this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost forgot - you cannot use a Guard reaction in Versus Mode. It's too powerful and encourages turtling.

If anyone has a suggestion on an alternative for the guard symbol, I'd love to hear it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Almost forgot - you cannot use a Guard reaction in Versus Mode. It's too powerful and encourages turtling.

If anyone has a suggestion on an alternative for the guard symbol, I'd love to hear it.

Maybe allow it as some sort of tactical response to an enemies movement or attack ... such as move 1 area or move in/out of cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good idea Adam. Kind of like the Follow cards in solo allow you to move 1 extra space.

Guard would still be used to Chainsaw duel though. I'm editing the first post to include this change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler L.

Iowa
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm a rather big fan of 'Executions' in the video game's multiplayer, and it plays a pretty big role. Perhaps, instead of that 'last leg' you could use executions. To execute, make an attack against a downed opponent in the same area. If you roll atleast one omen, they are killed and removed from the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vincit omnia amentia
United States
Howard County
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charlest wrote:

We ran through a few 1v1 attacks, and some things we noticed:

"Ambush" can be very powerful, moreso than a "guard" action. However, this card really discourages turtling.

We played that you can "Guard" but only between bullet points on their card or before or after their card. The other option was giving a +1(or +2? seems too much) defense bonus if you shoot somebody when they're moving (to represent the difficulty of hitting a moving target).

"Sit tight" seems to play fine as is; we followed our rule that anytime a card referred to a "locust" it meant "any other player."

Our last game using some of these rules was actually pretty interesting and came down to a few lucky rolls, so even after using ambushes and guards, nobody seemed to have a huge advantage. The player who lost was the one who turtled (we were on big map 17B, he was on a tile right outside behind cover. He pulled me closer with ambush, injured me, I went and played move and attack, he guarded and did a little more damage, I moved in and threw a grenade. He threw a grenade to finish me off, but rolled poorly and I played the "move one space and attack three times" to win.)

We realized there has to be some scenario or incentive to encourage people running out to the center. We thought of "capture the flag" as follows:

place 17B in the center, put two long tiles next to it (we found two long tiles that were flush against 17B and both provided a "corner" but any could do). Make 17B symmetrical by playing that there is a staircase on both sides of the upper level. Put two tokens right below the upper level in that little niche, one in each space. Each team would have to grab theirs and bring it back to their base, and you can't grab a flag if the other team has yours.

This is just a rough idea, and we need to wait until we get 4 to test it (we usually only play with 2 or 3). Just thought I'd share our experiences and thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
charlest wrote:

We ran through a few 1v1 attacks, and some things we noticed:

"Ambush" can be very powerful, moreso than a "guard" action. However, this card really discourages turtling.

We played that you can "Guard" but only between bullet points on their card or before or after their card. The other option was giving a +1(or +2? seems too much) defense bonus if you shoot somebody when they're moving (to represent the difficulty of hitting a moving target).

"Sit tight" seems to play fine as is; we followed our rule that anytime a card referred to a "locust" it meant "any other player."

Our last game using some of these rules was actually pretty interesting and came down to a few lucky rolls, so even after using ambushes and guards, nobody seemed to have a huge advantage. The player who lost was the one who turtled (we were on big map 17B, he was on a tile right outside behind cover. He pulled me closer with ambush, injured me, I went and played move and attack, he guarded and did a little more damage, I moved in and threw a grenade. He threw a grenade to finish me off, but rolled poorly and I played the "move one space and attack three times" to win.)

We realized there has to be some scenario or incentive to encourage people running out to the center. We thought of "capture the flag" as follows:

place 17B in the center, put two long tiles next to it (we found two long tiles that were flush against 17B and both provided a "corner" but any could do). Make 17B symmetrical by playing that there is a staircase on both sides of the upper level. Put two tokens right below the upper level in that little niche, one in each space. Each team would have to grab theirs and bring it back to their base, and you can't grab a flag if the other team has yours.

This is just a rough idea, and we need to wait until we get 4 to test it (we usually only play with 2 or 3). Just thought I'd share our experiences and thoughts.

Lots of awesome feedback.

The problems I see with guard is that it's much better than a regular attack because they won't be in cover typically when you perform your guard action. Maybe giving the defender +2 defensive dice is the answer. Or maybe having it so you can't use ammo (overkill) on guard actions?

Yeah, Ambush seems good. I don't have a problem with that though since as you said it discourages turtling.

Your playthrough sounds fun, thanks for the feedback. I agree on your scenario idea and the fact that you need incentive to move. The biggest obstacle right now is creating maps with branches (2 exits on a tile) so it's not a linear line every time. I'm working on a door counter that you can print off and add to a tile so we can have some custom maps.

The one map idea I have right now is a King of the Hill scenario. The middle room is the largest tile where you find the hammer of dawn, each side deploys in hallways on opposite sides of the map.

The huge middle tile gives your side a point every time you end an activation inside a space on it. When your whole team is down and bleeidng out, your team respawns in your starting tile (the side which still has people up does not respawn).

Here's the twist - there's a Berserker in the middle tile (no hammer of dawn available either). The berserker follows its normal rule moving a space towards anyone who fires (or towards a space where a grenade goes off) - it moves towards Locsuts or COGS doesn't matter.

It attacks immediately if it ever finds itself in a space with another figure (all figures are attacked as per normal berserker rules).

After all characters have acted, the berserker moves 1 space towards the nearest figure. If it is equidistant from 2 figure, then the side that had Initiative this round chooses which figure it moves towards and which space it occupies (if there's ever a question of which space the berserker moves into, the side with initiative chooses - however, it must be towards the nearest figure).

I'm excited about this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tsilver33 wrote:
I'm a rather big fan of 'Executions' in the video game's multiplayer, and it plays a pretty big role. Perhaps, instead of that 'last leg' you could use executions. To execute, make an attack against a downed opponent in the same area. If you roll atleast one omen, they are killed and removed from the round.

That's definitely a good idea. I'm just not sure how I feel about executions though.

If you can execute me, I'm much more hesitant to charge forward into your teams line of figures.

I think we need incentive for gutsy, aggressive play in order to keep the mode interesting (otherwise we're just trading shots from cover).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have also written up some rules of my own I have detailed out 2 basic set levels for play which in random so different layout each time; also I feel every character get a base gun and ammo set up including gnasher. I am currently typing up these rule sets since I have written them down. I am putting in full detailed Capture the Leader, Execution, Annex and Warzone game modes. I like the chainsaw duel idea you have. When I get the rules typed up I will post the link I think you guys will like how this looks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.