Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing this weekend after a long hiatus. We only had 4 cars but in the 2- and 3-stop turns we had difficulty to remember how many stops each car had already completed.

Is there a method to keep track of those? I am thinking of getting tiny dice to keep by each car in a turn/curve.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
The problem I've always had with memory aids like that is you also have to remember to use the memory aid.

When a car is exiting a 3 stop turn and the die shows 2, did you miss the stop? or did you forget to mark it?

We always just remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not playing solo, I find the other players tend to remember for you devil

Other than that, I suggest some poker chips or counters. Put three out for a three stop corner and take one away for each stop you make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
The enclave, Newark
California
flag msg tools
5UIIIIII3R \/4C4Ti0I\I 15 h3r3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not very exciting to look at, but:
1st stop, turn the car on its side
2nd stop, turn the car on its top
3rd stop, turn the car on its other side
4th stop, turn car backwards?

...or is there a condition in the game where a car does get rotated? I can't remember. Haven't played in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey H
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only had four cars then you need tp push your opponents to move faster so you don't forget these things.

Ussually you are in good shape and have the right number of stops or easily will. Or you are in bad shape and will be doing bad things to your car to get the stops. Either of those is memorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a piece of paper and a pencil and write it down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very interesting. So, it is presumed that players will just remember. I can't think of another game that is just like this. Even in FD, you have a marker for which hear you used last round. Other games even have markers to remind who is the current first player. I will see if it becomes second nature to remember, otherwise, will pick any method since it doesn't seem to be a common one.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Not very exciting to look at, but:
1st stop, turn the car on its side
2nd stop, turn the car on its top
3rd stop, turn the car on its other side
4th stop, turn car backwards?

...or is there a condition in the game where a car does get rotated? I can't remember. Haven't played in a while.

There are 4-stop turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Desert Fox" R S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use colored chips and place a stack of chips equal to the required stops for each corner, varying the color from one corner to the next as much as we can (I have chips of 4 colors so we cycle through them around the board). Each time you stop you toss a chip back. As you leave the corner everyone can tell if you have any chips left. As the color changes every corner there is no chance for a mistake. If you forget to toss a chip -- TOO BAD! devil

Example: As you enter the corner you take chips matching that corner's stack. Say the first corner is a 2 stop corner with green chips -- you grab 2 green chips from the chip pool. All other players do the same. Every time you stop you toss a chip back into the pool. When you leave the corner you should have NO chips left; if you do then you overshot and pay the penalty. The next corner is a 3 stop with red chips - grab 3 red chips from the pool. Each corner has the color chips on the board so it's easy to see who is in what corner and if you keep a chip from a previous corner it is obvious as the color doesn't match.

Solves all kinds of disputes for us. I've read it here somewhere before so I can't take any credit for the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff B
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to find some standard six sided dice at my local gaming store that work great for this purpose. They had a bin of assorted dice and I selected a full set of 10 dice with digits (instead of dots) that corresponded to the colors of the cars.

I was lucky enough to get a solid color dice to match each car (for our cars where the body and wing color match) and five more dice in the car colors that had a speckled finish to represent the cars where wing colors are different than the body of the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up using 6-sided dice as well. I bought a couple of mini dice of the cars' colors and place them by the cars when they get to a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
CrankyPants wrote:
The problem I've always had with memory aids like that is you also have to remember to use the memory aid.

When a car is exiting a 3 stop turn and the die shows 2, did you miss the stop? or did you forget to mark it?

We always just remember.

Trying to remember to use the memory aid...sounds funny, but completely true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game, but I'm thinking of using some unused pegs on an unused section of board and just placing a peg after each stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sheets
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I am running one car I, usually, don't have any trouble remembering what stop it is. If I am running two or more cars I use a six sided die for each car and yes the trick is remembering to use the memory aid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Draycott
England
flag msg tools
The tiny dice idea is probably the most simple way of doing it... works for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.