United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Scott, and Donald talk about game promos

Don talks to David Brashaw & Leonard Boyd the designers of Guards! Guards!

Erik and Steve Hanan Takes 5 on Star Wars games that don't suck

Erik reviews Quarriors

Questions for our listeners!

Do you seek out game company promo items? Does it bother you if those promo items, or similar promo items, become available at a later time?

What kind of promotional items do you prefer - ones that alter game play or ones that provide some kind of out of game connection to the gaming experience like t-shirts, plastic cups, or tie-tacks?

What is the favorite promotional item you have, or what is the grail promo item you wish you could get your hands on?

RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry for the delayed posting of the interview with David Brashaw & Leonard Boyd. They have been very patient while I wrestled all kinds of technical issues getting that recording edited.

Not only was the sound quality off, but because of some strange file issues part of the file kept disappearing while I was editing it so I had to start the process over like four times.

So yeah, they were great guests and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this game.

- - -

Also, there is one other promotional event/item that I thought was particularly cool even if it wasn't part of the board game industry. For HBO's Game of Thrones they did some pretty cool promotions that I wish I'd been able to participate in. At one point they sent out scent boxes with smells from the series, and they also had some event where they served food from the series. Pretty wild!

Imagine a trading in the Mediterranean game where as a promo you received a cool little spice bag that you could hang from your car rear view mirror or keep near your board games to make them smell spicy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is a cool promotional event.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/09/tokyo-subway-gets-lig...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind, there's two kinds of promos: those that change gameplay, and those that don't. I'm not a big fan of those that change gameplay, for the same reason I don't like house rules and, to some degree, expansions: rules consistency. I play games with a lot of different people, and a lot of different people's copies of a game. When I move from one game group to the next, I'd really appreciate it if the rules to games didn't change. I have enough to remember already.

As for the second type, I'm all for upgraded components, better player aids, upgraded storage solutions, wearables, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each day I care less about Star Wars. cry One of these days Lucas... ninja robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, I agree that Queen's Gambit was one of the best Star Wars games ever and it was GREAT eye candy, but the game just fell apart for me when I realized that the Jedi/Sith battle is so dominant. You can't focus on it 100%, but if you focus on it as much as possible, you're nearly guaranteed victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

I'll agree that 75% of the time the winner of the Jedi battle goes on to win the game, but if you focus on it entirely you will get crushed by the constant 2:1 or 3:1 actions of your opponent.

Plus, every time the Naboo player loses someone in the palace, they move closer to defeat.

All of that balance lets me have a good time with thegame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Each day I care less about Star Wars. cry One of these days Lucas... ninja robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Promo I've wanted to do something similar to in one of my games on release: CASH MONEY.

See Perplexcity (the original card game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only kind of promos I care about are those that are essentially mini-expansions and those the allow you to pimp your game. I have no problem with promos, but I think publishers should avoid promises of exclusivity. While exclusive promos may sound like a good way to increase initial sales, in the long run, if the game and promo are popular, having run a exclusive promo will only produce headaches. You either keep your promise and irritate people who can't get the promo at a reasonable price or offer the promo again and anger the people who got the original promo with the understanding it would be rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.