Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the fourth review I have written as part of the Under-Reviewed Games series. The goal of this series is to provide written reviews for games that haven’t received as much critical attention. Specifically this means I will be looking at games with 5 or fewer reviews and try to focus on print and play games. Because let’s face it, does 7 Wonders need another review?

Honeypot

Players: 2
Playing Time: 15 min

Honeypot is an independently published abstract strategy game in which players vie for control of a hive. The gameplay is reminiscent of Othello and most of the game rests on each player’s ability to convert their opponent’s pieces into their own.

Components
The game comes with 40 double-sided tokens, which players divide evenly amongst themselves. Each player ends up with three 1s and 2s and two of each of the remaining pieces (ranging from 3 through 9). The game pieces are nice and the cloth board, while not pretty, is fairly functional.

Game Mechanics

Players alternate placing pieces in empty cells anywhere on the board and aim the arrows at other hexes. When tokens are put down they can flip other tiles. Flipping never causes chain reactions. There are two methods of flipping.

Method 1: If your token higher in value than an opponents token it is aimed at, the oppoents token is flipped to your color.

Method 2: If when placing your token all of your pieces aimed at an opponents token EQUAL it in number you flip their token. Eg. if you opponents piece is a 6 and you have a 2 aimed at it you could place a 4 down to flip their token.

After all the empty cells are taken scoring takes place. All pieces of your color score a number of points equal to the value on the piece. Pieces in the corner cells (honeypots) count for double the pieces score.

Overall
Honeypot is a fast and fun game. The rules are simple and the game has been well thought out. All of your pieces are valuable in their own ways. More importantly, while the better player wins consistently there is enough back and forth action that you never feel out of the game. It may be possible to plan multiple moves in advance but I haven’t played any games thus far that suffered from analysis paralysis. Overall, Honeypot may not be a revolutionary game but it is enough fun to see regular circulation amongst my two player games. Honeypot is worth checking out if you are interested in two player abstract strategy games.

Pros
Fun and quick
Each piece has its uses
Simple

Cons
The cloth board could be nicer but I understand the design decision to help keep the game cost reasonable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Festus
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for giving this some attention...very overlooked game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Majcher
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, and I'm glad you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.