Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: (5th March 2014)

Since MK came out, post #1 in this thread contained the FAQ... until today. I have just deleted the original message, since some of the rulings in it are now wrong - it was very out of date.

Also, a lot of the many comments and replies have now been answered. So - anyone coming to this thread looking for the FAQ should go here instead: http://wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/

Thanks all,

Paul Grogan
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the previews etc., the game looks great!

Only one real rules question, a couple of clarifications and a couple of more general questions (if that's ok).

First off -

It says that at least half the dice in the source should be normal mana dice and to reroll the gold and black dice until this is achieved. So does this mean that all of the special dice are rerolled or that the players choose which dice to reroll?

On first reading I thought it didn't really matter as the players would probably just elect to reroll any depleted dice while keeping the others, but then I thought that if I had made myself very mana independent and knew my opponents had not I'd want the gold dice rerolled in the day while keeping the black. Likewise if I hadn't got any spells yet I'd want the black dice rerolled in the night or vice versa. Just could see disagreements coming up there and wanted to know what the intent was.

Couple of clarifications-

Units only ready at the end of the round, so you only get to use them 4-6 times per game for their action, correct? (Barring readying effects)

When you level up and get a skill am I right in saying you have two options, you either-
a. Choose one of the top two skills from your own pile putting the unwanted one in the middle and a choice of any available Advanced Action
b. Choose someone else's skill from the middle, put both of your drawn skills in the middle and take the lowest Advanced Action

The subtitle of 'Learning from Other Players' made me think that option b might be done at a completely different time (though I don't really believe it!).

And more general questions-

I assume that general availability of this will be good in the UK, in other words if I want tog et my hand on it I can wait until after Essen (should it even make it there). I was also wondering on what size of box it's likely to come in, I'm getting the feeling the box will be fairly large which is another reason for my question above!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
It says that at least half the dice in the source should be normal mana dice and to reroll the gold and black dice until this is achieved. So does this mean that all of the special dice are rerolled or that the players choose which dice to reroll?

Walkthrough pg. 6:
At the start of each Round you reroll the dice into the Source. At least half of them should show a basic color (red, blue, green or white). If they don’t, keep rerolling the black and gold dice until this condition is met.
And yes, you have to reroll them at once (all black and gold, untill contidions are met).
There's also Friendly Mana variant which makes the Source a bit more easy going.

Uhtoff wrote:
Units only ready at the end of the round, so you only get to use them 4-6 times per game for their action, correct? (Barring readying effects)

Correct. The trick with Units is that you can use them in the moment you really need, not like other cards which come at random from your Deed deck.

Uhtoff wrote:
When you level up and get a skill am I right in saying you have two options, you either-
a. Choose one of the top two skills from your own pile putting the unwanted one in the middle and a choice of any available Advanced Action
b. Choose someone else's skill from the middle, put both of your drawn skills in the middle and take the lowest Advanced Action

The subtitle of 'Learning from Other Players' made me think that option b might be done at a completely different time (though I don't really believe it!).

Nope, only during your level up. It just makes your options wider.

Uhtoff wrote:
I assume that general availability of this will be good in the UK, in other words if I want tog et my hand on it I can wait until after Essen (should it even make it there). I was also wondering on what size of box it's likely to come in, I'm getting the feeling the box will be fairly large which is another reason for my question above!

Slightly larger than standard Euro sized box (Through the Ages, Agricola, etc) - 35.5x24x7.5cm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the heroes have "base stats" like Move 2 or Attack 2? Or does everything come through cardplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Mohr
Germany
Leupoldsgrün
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul thank you for your great previews and this thread. Here is my question regarding Hand Size and Wound Cards:

Example:
My hand size is 5 at the beginning of the game. I have two wound cards and three normal cards in my hand. In my turn during combat my hero receives five wound cards (equal to unmodified hand size) cards and gets KOed.

My interpretation of what happens after that:
I loose all non-wound cards and now have 7 cards in my hand, all wound cards. I cannot enforce the hand limit because I cannot discard a wound card. I have no units and the space I am standing on has no healing capabilities. Therefore in the next turn (Turn 1 after KO) I am automatically exhausted, and discard down to 6. Turn 2 is the same and after that I am down to 5. Turn 3 is also the same, but I can discard a wound card and draw a card (hoping it isn't a wound card...) from the deck again.

Is this correct? Thank you .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about Rest. During a normal Rest action, a player has to discard one non-Wound card and as many Wound cards as they wish, but it said earlier that you can spend Healing and Special cards.

If you begin your turn with some non-Wounds (thus not exhausted), can you spend enough Healing or Special cards such that you can no longer discard a non-Wound card? Or must you discard a non-Wound card before you start spending cards? Or if you can't discard a non-Wound card, you simply can't discard Wounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Do the heroes have "base stats" like Move 2 or Attack 2? Or does everything come through cardplay?

The only stats a hero has are Armour 2 and Hand Limit 5. Everything else comes from cards, skills, units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
flomo1981 wrote:
Hey Paul thank you for your great previews and this thread. Here is my question regarding Hand Size and Wound Cards:

Example:
My hand size is 5 at the beginning of the game. I have two wound cards and three normal cards in my hand. In my turn during combat my hero receives five wound cards (equal to unmodified hand size) cards and gets KOed.

My interpretation of what happens after that:
I loose all non-wound cards and now have 7 cards in my hand, all wound cards. I cannot enforce the hand limit because I cannot discard a wound card. I have no units and the space I am standing on has no healing capabilities. Therefore in the next turn (Turn 1 after KO) I am automatically exhausted, and discard down to 6. Turn 2 is the same and after that I am down to 5. Turn 3 is also the same, but I can discard a wound card and draw a card (hoping it isn't a wound card...) from the deck again.

Is this correct? Thank you .

And then turn 4 you can just Rest rather than choose slow recovery, which means you may discard the non-Wound card and all of the wound cards.

This sounds pretty harsh, and means someone in this situation would miss 4 turns, but in reality, that wont happen. By the time you are hitting monsters that can do you 5 wounds, you'll have leveled up a few times, so your hand size will be at least 6.

Also, if you have 2 Wounds in hand already and then get yourself into a dangerous fight when you clearly are going to get bashed to bits, then this could be the end result. A lot of the time you know exactly what you are fighting first. Other times, you will know what type of enemy you are fighting and a quick look at the reference on the back of the rulebook gives you a good idea of the monsters.

If you go into a fight with no spare units, 2 wounds in hand and hardly any way of blocking the attack, then this would be a bad move. I've also played this game quite a bit and never had this situation come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Broccoli wrote:
If you begin your turn with some non-Wounds (thus not exhausted), can you spend enough Healing or Special cards such that you can no longer discard a non-Wound card? Or must you discard a non-Wound card before you start spending cards? Or if you can't discard a non-Wound card, you simply can't discard Wounds?

Had to read the question 4 times

It is a very good question. Lets say this is the example: In your hand, you have 4 Wound cards and a Tranquility. You choose to Rest, but you play Tranquility, power it with Green mana and heal 2 Wounds. You now only have 2 Wounds in your hand, and Tranquility in your Play area. The rules say you have to discard one non-Wound card from your hand to rest, so what happens now? If you cant discard the other 2 cards in hand, you may aswell have taken a regular turn instead of resting, not that this would make much difference.

So... I'm not 100% sure, which means I will ask Vlaada and get you the official answer.

My guess is that can still rest and discard the other 2 wounds. The reason for the "must discard one card" (I think) is to stop people stalling the game by taking their turn and saying "I play no cards". In the rules for taking a regular turn, if you dont play any cards, you have to discard one.

So bear with me, Vlaada is very busy frantically writing the rulebooks for his other games this year, but I'll try and get an answer soonish, because now I want to know too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Broccoli wrote:

Had to read the question 4 times

It is a very good question. Lets say this is the example: In your hand, you have 4 Wound cards and a Tranquility. You choose to Rest, but you play Tranquility, power it with Green mana and heal 2 Wounds. You now only have 2 Wounds in your hand, and Tranquility in your Play area. The rules say you have to discard one non-Wound card from your hand to rest, so what happens now? If you cant discard the other 2 cards in hand, you may aswell have taken a regular turn instead of resting, not that this would make much difference.

So... I'm not 100% sure, which means I will ask Vlaada and get you the official answer.

My guess is that can still rest and discard the other 2 wounds. The reason for the "must discard one card" (I think) is to stop people stalling the game by taking their turn and saying "I play no cards". In the rules for taking a regular turn, if you dont play any cards, you have to discard one.

So bear with me, Vlaada is very busy frantically writing the rulebooks for his other games this year, but I'll try and get an answer soonish, because now I want to know too!

EDIT: Well, this is a good question. At any case, you cannot discard Wound cards as a Standard Rest unless you discard a one non-Wound card.

To avoid this unclear situation, I should specify that the two options the Resting offers (Standard Rest, and Slow Recovery) are optional, not mandatory. You announce you are resting, and then, you may play any amount of special effects, and at any moment you can also either discard one non-Wound and any number of Wound cards, or you can reveal your hand to show you have nothing but Wounds, and then to discard one Wound card (which would be the case the OP described).

Thanks for your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another question, not directly pointing to the rules:
-> for what purpose serve the mana points at the bottom of a hero's card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well spotted. They are for when you play solo or co-op. Full details for this in the scenario book (hopefully next week)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules seem well written to me, good job on that ! i have a small question, which is more of a clarification really...
at what times exactly during a turn can i (/can't i) play cards ? the only restriction i found was that healing can not be played during combat. what about card draw during combat ? healing after combat (before i declare the end of my turn and draw back up to my hand limit) ?
i assume i can do all of these things as they seem to not be prohibited by the rules (unless i missed something) but just wanted to double check (i also have the feeling this will be made clear in the full rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ckremer2 wrote:
the rules seem well written to me, good job on that ! i have a small question, which is more of a clarification really...
at what times exactly during a turn can i (/can't i) play cards ? the only restriction i found was that healing can not be played during combat. what about card draw during combat ? healing after combat (before i declare the end of my turn and draw back up to my hand limit) ?
i assume i can do all of these things as they seem to not be prohibited by the rules (unless i missed something) but just wanted to double check (i also have the feeling this will be made clear in the full rules).

You're right. Any cards at any time except if the card is of the 'healing' type, then it cant be played during combat. Healing after combat is absolutely fine.

Example, in one game I ended the turn on a Magical Glade and I had a Tranquility in hand and a green crystal in my backpack.

I challened a monster, fought it, didnt bother blocking it and took 3 wounds. The other players laughed at my injuries. When the combat ended, I then played Tranquility, powered it with the green crystal in my inventory to heal 2 wounds, then at the end of the turn, the magical glade allowed me to remove the 3rd one, leaving me uninjured
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question concerning Dungeons. It says that Night rules apply while in there. Assuming it's Day when you enter, would this allow you to spend a Black mana from the offering while in the dungeon (despite the fact that Black is normally seen as depleted during the day)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Broccoli wrote:
I have a question concerning Dungeons. It says that Night rules apply while in there. Assuming it's Day when you enter, would this allow you to spend a Black mana from the offering while in the dungeon (despite the fact that Black is normally seen as depleted during the day)?

If you enter a Dungeon, you play the combat as it happened during a Night round. So yes, you can use a black mana from the Source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mb
After reading the rules on leveling, I would like to know if the bit about the leveling player being forced to draw the lowest card in the advanced card offer only applies when taking a skill from the skill pool. That is the way I read the rules - is that correct?

Also, Exploration counts as a part of movement - what happens if you stand next to a rampaging enemy and explore an unknown area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
After reading the rules on leveling, I would like to know if the bit about the leveling player being forced to draw the lowest card in the advanced card offer only applies when taking a skill from the skill pool. That is the way I read the rules - is that correct?

Also, Exploration counts as a part of movement - what happens if you stand next to a rampaging enemy and explore an unknown area?

Q1: Yes, you read it correct. If you choose a skill from another player, you have to take the Advanced Action card from the lowest point in the offer.

Q2: Yes, exploration (revealing a new map tile) is part of movement. It isnt an action. If you stand next to a rampaging enemy and just spend 2 move points to explore, this does not provoke the enemy. Only actually 'moving' from one space to another provokes the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very simple question just to make sure I understand: The number of skills in the common skill offer will go up by one each level up, and will never go down. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
A very simple question just to make sure I understand: The number of skills in the common skill offer will go up by one each level up, and will never go down. Right?

The Common Skill offer starts empty. Whenever a player levels up, either 1 new skill will go in there, or 1 skill will be taken out and 2 new ones go in there. So yes, it has a net increase of 1 for each level up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i just looked at the scenarios and noticed that the cooperative scenario can only be played with 2-3 players. Why not 4 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Crimson_Phoenix wrote:
i just looked at the scenarios and noticed that the cooperative scenario can only be played with 2-3 players. Why not 4 players?

Read the rules on the dummy player. If you dont play with a dummy player, then the players could literally play 1 card per turn, always powering it with mana from the source. The game would take forever. In a competitive game, you cant do this because another player will be playing fast and burning through their deck. The dummy player basically acts like a timer, limiting the number of turns you have.

But.... There are also extra rules for playing a 4 player co-op scenario using a deck of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas T
Norway
flag msg tools
In the rules it says that when interacting with a village (or another valid location) you can buy one or more things. So that means you can recruit several units, learn several spells and/or learn several advanced actions (if there are more than one monestery revealed on the board) in one turn, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Roijen
Netherlands
Sittard
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shalafi wrote:
In the rules it says that when interacting with a village (or another valid location) you can buy one or more things. So that means you can recruit several units, learn several spells and/or learn several advanced actions (if there are more than one monestery revealed on the board) in one turn, right?

I think that's the right way to play it. I've got one question following the above. If I can take multiple advanced actions, spells, etc. through interaction, at what time do the cards get replenished. End of turn or when I pick one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas T
Norway
flag msg tools
Domo wrote:
Shalafi wrote:

I think that's the right way to play it. I've got one question following the above. If I can take multiple advanced actions, spells, etc. through interaction, at what time do the cards get replenished. End of turn or when I pick one?

I think so too, but I want it clarified. Because on the page 6 in the rulebook it says (I’m shortening the text a bit):
4 a. A player can recruit a unit…
b. Healing points can be bought…
c. … learn a new Advanced Action…
d. … learn new spells…

You see that a and c are singular and b and d are plural.

To answer your question, units only get replenished at the beginning of next round (day/night, not turn), the same for the advanced actions you can learn from monasteries, they are not the same ones that you can learn from leveling up. But spells do get replenished, the question is when. Right after you take one, or after you are finished with taking all of yours?

Keep in mind that you take the things you bought after you end your turn, so if you turn up new spells right away, you can’t play more cards to get that right mana for that new spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.