$10.00
Recommend
268 
 Thumb up
 Hide
1298 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official Rules FAQ Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 99.9% sure that you can recruit multiple units. In one of my games, and in one of my previews, I explained how I recruited one unit and then activated that unit to get enough influence to recruit another unit. The walkthrough says "You can buy things of the same or different types."

Units in the Unit offer do not replenish until the start of the next round.


Advanced Actions - I'm pretty sure with 12 Influence you can learn 2 Advanced Actions in monasteries.

Advanced Actions in the Unit offer do not replenish until the start of the next round.


Spells - Again, I think with enough Influence and Mana you can buy multiple spells, and if you have a bazillion Influence points, you could also recruit Unit(s) that have the Mage Tower icon.

In all my games, nobody has ever bought more than 1 Spell on their turn, but the question about when they replenish is a good one. I have contacted Vlaada and will post the official answer on that soon. In the meantime, it will probably never happen, so you can carry on playing
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlaada Chvatil
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
So, my official statement:

You get the stuff you bought (or acquired by some card effect) immediately. Only combat rewards are claimed at the end of your turn.

The new units you can use immediately (for example to recruit more influence, heal, etc.). The new spells and advanced actions go on the top of your draw pile (unless stated otherwise), and you can even draw them on the same turn (when you use effect allowing you to draw a card).

As for replenishing of Spell or Advanced Action offer: you may replenish them immediatelly, but note that this is "revealing new information", so you are not allowed to change your mind then and roll back before this point. At any case, you should replenish the offers before your turn ends.

Note: When planning your turn, you can usually also plan what item to buy or acquire, and your turn is usually simplier when you are interacting than when you are fighting, so it should not slow down the game. The combat and level-up rewards are claimed at the end of the turn, because you usually do not have time or information to think about them in advance: you are concentrating on the combat itself, and also some randomness is included in many cases when determining what reward options you have.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique Roijen
Netherlands
Sittard
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vlaada wrote:
So, my official statement:

You get the stuff you bought (or acquired by some card effect) immediately. Only combat rewards are claimed at the end of your turn.


Thanks for the quick response. I thought it worked the same way, so we played it the right way yesterday.

Love the game btw, great work!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A more complex question. I was sieging a city. I played a spell (I think Tremor) in its ultimate form which did reduce the armor of all enemies by 2 (I'm not sure here but that doesn't matter) and if the enemy is fortified by 4 (twice the amount). Now 'I played a red spell which reduces the amount of armor of all enemies by one and site fortifications doesn't matter.


2 of the enemies were fortified so it is clear that they lose 5 armor (4+1). But what happens to the not fortified enemy.
a) The lose the fortification bonus. Therefore, they only lose 3 armor.
b) The tremor card was played when they still were fortified (thanks to the city) so they also lose 5 armor



And a question, some of the enemies hat fire resistance was I even allowed to play the red spell. To my understanding yes, since it didn't target a specific enemy. Is this correct ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A short clarification: The "Crystallize" card basic effect does count as the only-one-die-from-the-source-rule?
If so, the effect can be explain as "spent one basic mana, if it's blue, gain a crystal of any color, if not, gain a crystal of the color spent"?

Superb game, by the way
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedes wrote:
A short clarification: The "Crystallize" card basic effect does count as the only-one-die-from-the-source-rule?
If so, the effect can be explain as "spent one basic mana, if it's blue, gain a crystal of any color, if not, gain a crystal of the color spent"?


Exactly correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
A more complex question. I was sieging a city. I played a spell (I think Tremor) in its ultimate form which did reduce the armor of all enemies by 2 (I'm not sure here but that doesn't matter) and if the enemy is fortified by 4 (twice the amount). Now 'I played a red spell which reduces the amount of armor of all enemies by one and site fortifications doesn't matter.


2 of the enemies were fortified so it is clear that they lose 5 armor (4+1). But what happens to the not fortified enemy.
a) The lose the fortification bonus. Therefore, they only lose 3 armor.
b) The tremor card was played when they still were fortified (thanks to the city) so they also lose 5 armor



And a question, some of the enemies hat fire resistance was I even allowed to play the red spell. To my understanding yes, since it didn't target a specific enemy. Is this correct ?



Earthquake (improved Tremor) does indeed reduce all enemies Armor by 2 or 4 if fortified. All enemies in a city are fortified, so this would be -4 to all. Your example shows a non-fortified enemy in a city assault. The only time this would happen is if you assault a city and provoke (or challenge) a rampaging enemy at the same time - so lets assume you do that.

Thats just Earthquake though. Now we combine it with Demolish which ignores site fortifications. It is now a question for Vlaada. Does the order in which you play these cards matter?

EDIT: Official answer from Vlaada. The order is important. If you play Earthquake first, the armour is reduced by 4. Then the Demolish comes in and destroys the fortification.


As for the other question, check p. 14 of the walkthrough. Even if the effect is not targeted, it still has no effect on a unit with resistance. The Demolish card is special. The first line says "Ignore site fortifications this turn." That still happens because it is affecting the site, not the unit. However, the next line "Enemies get Armor -1", Units with Fire Resistance are immune to this effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Becerra Aller
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the fast response to my previous question.

Some quick questions regarding skills:

MANA EXPLOIT: Can you choose "black" as color? Even on a day turn?

LEADERSHIP: What "regardless of elements" truly means? If I have a unit with Fire Attack 4, does it ends with Fire Attack 6 or Fire Attack 4 + (Physical) Attack 2?
Also, can I add Ranged Attack to a unit which have none?

PRAYER OF WEATHER: How does ir combines with "FLIGHT"? Does the flung over hexes cost 1 and 3 points of movemente instead of 0,2?

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN, WHO NEEDS MAGIC? and UNIVERSAL POWER are not cumulative on the same sideways card, right?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caedes wrote:
Thank you for the fast response to my previous question.

Some quick questions regarding skills:

MANA EXPLOIT: Can you choose "black" as color? Even on a day turn?

LEADERSHIP: What "regardless of elements" truly means? If I have a unit with Fire Attack 4, does it ends with Fire Attack 6 or Fire Attack 4 + (Physical) Attack 2?
Also, can I add Ranged Attack to a unit which have none?

PRAYER OF WEATHER: How does ir combines with "FLIGHT"? Does the flung over hexes cost 1 and 3 points of movemente instead of 0,2?

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN, WHO NEEDS MAGIC? and UNIVERSAL POWER are not cumulative on the same sideways card, right?

Thanks!


Mana Exploit: Yes. It says a colour other than gold, and the icons show this clearly.

Leadership: It is +2 to its Attack, so Fire Attack 4 becomes Fire Attack 6.

Prayer of Weather: Flight still works as printed. The Prayer increases the movement cost of the terrain. Flight ignores the cost of the terrain.

I Don't Give a Damn, Who Needs Mages, Universal Power: Correct. Each skill works seperately. If you play a card sideways for one of them, you then need to play a different card for another one. You can use each of them on your turn, but for different cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use a block card even if you aren't blocking the whole attack, the rule book suggests it's pointless, but not that you can't do it...was wondering because of the Ice Shield that drops the armour of an enemy it's used to block if powered up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
Can you use a block card even if you aren't blocking the whole attack, the rule book suggests it's pointless, but not that you can't do it...was wondering because of the Ice Shield that drops the armour of an enemy it's used to block if powered up.


EDIT (Reversal of what I said earlier) Ice Shield will reduce the armour if the block is unsuccessful. This is official from Vlaada.

And.. it is in the rulebook. Page 8. Section 8a. Sometimes a blocking card with have effects other than adding to your block total. Unless stated otherwise, these effects appply whether or not the block was successful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought so, but my wife thought otherwise...I'll go tell her
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Beljo
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I need a clarification using the Unit Utem Guardsmen.
When is the swift abilty canceled, before the unit blocks or after the block?
Can they block with Block 4 succesful an enemy with attack 3 (swift)?
Thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BudsBalkan wrote:
Hey guys, I need a clarification using the Unit Utem Guardsmen.
When is the swift abilty canceled, before the unit blocks or after the block?
Can they block with Block 4 succesful an enemy with attack 3 (swift)?
Thx


Yes. Otherwise, removing swift wouldnt really do anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željko Kumer
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow...what an awesome game this is. just...wow...

question, i don't know the specific names, but there is a spell that says "destroy the target enemy" and one other that says "destroy the target enemy token"
is there any difference?
also if i start a combat i can cast the spell at the very beginning (before ranged combat) and destroy the enemy, right?

EDIT: ok, they are both misprints and as stated in the rulebook errata can be only played in the attack phase of combat.

but aside the word "token" they are the same and do the same thing? (apart that disintegrate also gives -1 to enemies armor which i see useful only if you are fighting against multiple targets)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a misprint on two destroy target enemy spells. Check the rulebook, iiirc they can only be cast after the assign damage phase.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moerenhout
Belgium
Lede
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul or Filip,

I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not but there's an issue with both cards.

The rulebook says on p9 " End of turn 7b " that any keep you own as well as the day tactic card "Planning" can increase your HAND LIMIT.

However, the day tactic card nor the keep explanation card ever mentions Hand Limit. Those cards say " draw up to your hand size, then draw an additional card ... " which is a different thing entirely
and something I did abuse in my first game.
I had 6+wounds in my hand but didn't really care as I had two keeps ( adjacent to one ) and the Planning Tactic.
So, no matter how many wounds I got in hand, I drew 3 cards anyway.

On both cards " draw an extra card" should probably be replaced by " increases your hand limit by one" ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Borg wrote:
Hi Paul or Filip,

I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not but there's an issue with both cards.

The rulebook says on p9 " End of turn 7b " that any keep you own as well as the day tactic card "Planning" can increase your HAND LIMIT.

However, the day tactic card nor the keep explanation card ever mentions Hand Limit. Those cards say " draw up to your hand size, then draw an additional card ... " which is a different thing entirely
and something I did abuse in my first game.
I had 6+wounds in my hand but didn't really care as I had two keeps ( adjacent to one ) and the Planning Tactic.
So, no matter how many wounds I got in hand, I drew 3 cards anyway.

On both cards " draw an extra card" should probably be replaced by " increases your hand limit by one" ?


Unfortunately, the reference card is misleading. Apologies for this. The rulebook is correct. Page 9: Section 7, drawing new cards: Keeps increase your hand limit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moerenhout
Belgium
Lede
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Borg wrote:
Hi Paul or Filip,

I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not but there's an issue with both cards.

The rulebook says on p9 " End of turn 7b " that any keep you own as well as the day tactic card "Planning" can increase your HAND LIMIT.

However, the day tactic card nor the keep explanation card ever mentions Hand Limit. Those cards say " draw up to your hand size, then draw an additional card ... " which is a different thing entirely
and something I did abuse in my first game.
I had 6+wounds in my hand but didn't really care as I had two keeps ( adjacent to one ) and the Planning Tactic.
So, no matter how many wounds I got in hand, I drew 3 cards anyway.

On both cards " draw an extra card" should probably be replaced by " increases your hand limit by one" ?


Unfortunately, the reference card is misleading. Apologies for this. The rulebook is correct. Page 9: Section 7, drawing new cards: Keeps increase your hand limit.

Paul, the reference card I find not such a big problem as people stop referring to them anyway, but the Tactics card keeps coming back ...

as a possible solution ...
maybe some corrected cards can be put up as a PDF for download.
When ( and if ) an expansion comes up, the corrected cards can be added there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Borg wrote:
as a possible solution ...
maybe some corrected cards can be put up as a PDF for download.
When ( and if ) an expansion comes up, the corrected cards can be added there.


I believe that might be the plan, but I need to speak to all concerned. At least, until then, there is no harm me having a go at doing versions with fixed text.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Olsen
Denmark
Valby
flag msg tools
Is it possible to use Concentration's advanced effect to boost a ranged or siege attack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hvidponi wrote:
Is it possible to use Concentration's advanced effect to boost a ranged or siege attack?


Yes. The text on Concentration says any type of attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an Advanced Action (I don't remember the name I have to check that at home) which gives you back all crystals used during a turn as its second effect. Does it gives you back a crystal which was used for the card itself or crystals used for card which were played before it ?

Second question.

The enemy tokens on the city dials for the non-white cities feature a color I assumed to be red. Now I have seen the picture of your self-made reference cards, there are no dragons in cities, but they all feature violet enemies, is this correct ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: Crystal Mastery: The wording is not 100% clear, but the official answer is that is applies to all crystals you spend (and have spent) that turn, including the one you used to power the card.

Q2: You are correct. They are violet enemies in cities.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions about border cases of the rules arose in my recent plays:

When I play Maximal Effect with a red mana and an attack action card and it allows me to "Use the advanced effect of that card two times", can I use those two uses for separate attacks (for example, when I fight two enemies and one of them has physical resistance)?

When I use the spell Call to Arms with the Utem Swordsmen (I think - I mean the ones that are damaged when they block or attack 6), can I choose to use the stronger effect because this technically isn't "assigning damage"?

My guess for both is "no", but I want to make sure
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.