$10.00
Recommend
268 
 Thumb up
 Hide
1298 Posts
[1]  Prev «  38 , 39 , 40 , 41 , 42  Next »  [52] | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official Rules FAQ Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fexx wrote:
Hi,

concerning the final scoring: It is explicitly stated at "greatest knowledge" and "greatest beating" that in case of a tie, where no player gained/lost fame for knowledge/beating, respectively, there are no extra fame points at all.

At the other achievements, this is not mentioned, but I wonder if this rules applies there as well. Sounds reasonable to me, but maybe this situation will rarely appear.


Of course, it doesn't actually matter whether you give every player one point for the tie, or you don't. You get the same winner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fexx wrote:
Hi,

concerning the final scoring: It is explicitly stated at "greatest knowledge" and "greatest beating" that in case of a tie, where no player gained/lost fame for knowledge/beating, respectively, there are no extra fame points at all.

At the other achievements, this is not mentioned, but I wonder if this rules applies there as well. Sounds reasonable to me, but maybe this situation will rarely appear.


This counts to all achievements.
I've already asked Vlaada this question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Of course, it doesn't actually matter whether you give every player one point for the tie, or you don't. You get the same winner.

Hmmm... you win this round, math, but I'll get you next time!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do see the point of having one way of doing it, just so that, if two players are computing the score, they get the same answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Fexx wrote:
Hi,

concerning the final scoring: It is explicitly stated at "greatest knowledge" and "greatest beating" that in case of a tie, where no player gained/lost fame for knowledge/beating, respectively, there are no extra fame points at all.

At the other achievements, this is not mentioned, but I wonder if this rules applies there as well. Sounds reasonable to me, but maybe this situation will rarely appear.


Of course, it doesn't actually matter whether you give every player one point for the tie, or you don't. You get the same winner.


Unless it's a two-way tie in a three-player game. (Corrected below)

It also matters for people who are obsessive about tracking their scores in every game.
whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Fexx wrote:
Hi,

concerning the final scoring: It is explicitly stated at "greatest knowledge" and "greatest beating" that in case of a tie, where no player gained/lost fame for knowledge/beating, respectively, there are no extra fame points at all.

At the other achievements, this is not mentioned, but I wonder if this rules applies there as well. Sounds reasonable to me, but maybe this situation will rarely appear.


Of course, it doesn't actually matter whether you give every player one point for the tie, or you don't. You get the same winner.


Unless it's a two-way tie in a three-player game.


You can't have a two-way tie at zero, in a three-player game. What did the third player have, less than zero?

If you have a two-way tie at level greater than zero, the tied players do get +1 each for the tie.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Trevin wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Fexx wrote:
Hi,

concerning the final scoring: It is explicitly stated at "greatest knowledge" and "greatest beating" that in case of a tie, where no player gained/lost fame for knowledge/beating, respectively, there are no extra fame points at all.

At the other achievements, this is not mentioned, but I wonder if this rules applies there as well. Sounds reasonable to me, but maybe this situation will rarely appear.


Of course, it doesn't actually matter whether you give every player one point for the tie, or you don't. You get the same winner.


Unless it's a two-way tie in a three-player game.


You can't have a two-way tie at zero, in a three-player game. What did the third player have, less than zero?

If you have a two-way tie at level greater than zero, the tied players do get +1 each for the tie.


blushOops! Sorry, I completely misread the part that said "no player gained/lost fame". Thanks for pointing that out.

After re-reading the walkthrough, it makes sense that "(1 if tied)" is a short substitute for repeating "If two or more players are tied, each gets 1 Fame (except if the tie is between players who scored no Fame in this category)" in every title.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moses Siregar
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
Question about the Demolish spell. It says you "ignore site fortifications." What if you attack a fortified site, but one of the target monsters has the fortified symbol on its card? Is it considered fortified, since the spell targets the building?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willgameforwork wrote:
Question about the Demolish spell. It says you "ignore site fortifications." What if you attack a fortified site, but one of the target monsters has the fortified symbol on its card? Is it considered fortified, since the spell targets the building?


Yes. That's what "site fortifications" means, and why it doesn't just say "fortifications".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moses Siregar
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks, David.

The rulebook seems to contradict the walkthrough about the issue of attacking more than one enemy where one enemy is fortified and one is not.

The rulebook says: "If some of the enemies are fortified ... only Siege Attacks can be played. You can play Ranged Attacks only if none of the targeted enemies are fortified.

The walkthrough says: "You can play multiple attacks in a phase. This way, you can fight enemies individually, or in small groups ... etc. This may be advantageous especially when:
--Some of the enemies are fortified and some are not. Thus, during the Ranged and Siege Attacks phase, you can only use Siege Attacks to attack fortified enemies, but you can use both Ranged and Siege Attacks to attack the non-fortified enemies."

Which rule do we follow? The walkthrough seems to be much more specific to the situation, but there's a direct contradiction with the wording in the rulebook.

EDIT: I just realized this may be the difference between fighting multiple enemies in one spot versus fighting more than one enemy in different tiles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willgameforwork wrote:
The rulebook says: "If some of the enemies are fortified ... only Siege Attacks can be played. You can play Ranged Attacks only if none of the targeted enemies are fortified.


This is in reference to the targeted enemies. When fighting more than one enemy, you choose which ones to target with any particular attack. If you target a group of one or more monsters that that includes a fortified enemy, then you can only use Siege Attacks (during the Ranged and Siege Attacks Phase). If you want to use Ranged Attacks, then target only non-fortified enemies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moses Siregar
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
willgameforwork wrote:
The rulebook says: "If some of the enemies are fortified ... only Siege Attacks can be played. You can play Ranged Attacks only if none of the targeted enemies are fortified.


This is in reference to the targeted enemies. When fighting more than one enemy, you choose which ones to target with any particular attack. If you target a group of one or more monsters that that includes a fortified enemy, then you can only use Siege Attacks (during the Ranged and Siege Attacks Phase). If you want to use Ranged Attacks, then target only non-fortified enemies.


Let's say I'm fighting two enemies in the same tile (or in different tiles, if that makes a difference). One is fortified and the other is not. Can I choose to only attack the non-fortified enemy in the Ranged and Siege Attack phase so that I can use Ranged Attacks?

Thanks again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willgameforwork wrote:
Let's say I'm fighting two enemies in the same tile (or in different tiles, if that makes a difference). One is fortified and the other is not. Can I choose to only attack the non-fortified enemy in the Ranged and Siege Attack phase so that I can use Ranged Attacks?


All I can do is repeat my previous answer. You're fighting a several enemies. During the Ranged and Siege Attacks Phase, you choose one or more to target with an attack. Then you play attacks against that group. If any of the enemies in the group you targeted are fortified, then you can only play Siege Attacks. If all of the enemies you targeted are non-fortified, then you can play Ranged Attacks.

When you're finished resolving that group, you can choose another group to target, and play attacks against that group. And so on.

When you don't choose to make any more attacks, then you go on to Block and Assign Damage from any remaining enemies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moses Siregar
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
That's very clear. Thank you very much!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
msg tools
Hi sorry if this was answered somewhere, but I spent 30 minutes searching and couldn't find the answer.

So what does the bottom 1/2 of the city cards mean? For example the white city card has a # of attack then a arrow pointing to a gold unit card.

GG
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalgrog wrote:
So what does the bottom 1/2 of the city cards mean? For example the white city card has a # of attack then a arrow pointing to a gold unit card.

It's what you can do during Interaction in the city, once it is conquered. The icons are described in the Rulebook, easy to find if you scan for those very icons.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cole
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Hi guys! I just picked up Mage Knight this week and have been playing with my wife. BEST BOARD GAME EVER.

That said, two quick questions:

When exploring a new tile, do the SWORDS on the tiles mean I immediately put a rampaging enemy on them? Do they go face up or face down?

When you fight a rampaging monster from an adjacent square, do you pay the movement cost to move on top of them to fight like when you assault a keep, or do you just start combat? When combat is done and you are victorious, do you move to the space the monster occupied, or stay where you initiated combat at?

Happy holidays!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Swords mean a rampaging orc goes on top of them. Rampaging enemies are always face up. You cannot ever enter a square with a rampaging enemy in it.

You can move adjacent to a rampaging enemy and then provoke it to initiate combat (provoking it is just choosing to provoke it, you don't have to do anything else in game). Also, if you are adjacent to a rampaging enemy and move to another hex that is adjacent to that same rampaging enemy, then your movement stops immediately in that second hex and combat starts against that rampaging enemy.

When combat is over, you stay where you are. If you eliminated the monster, then you can move through that hex on a later turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, everything is on site description cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, welcome to Mage Knight.
My advice is to go through the walkthrough a couple of times, reading everything very carefully. I don't mean anything derogatory by this, but the questions you asked are very clearly explained in the rules, specifically about putting rampaging orcs onto the map, and how you fight them. And, as Pabula said, refer to the site description cards too, they are an essential part of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cole
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
Richard, welcome to Mage Knight.
My advice is to go through the walkthrough a couple of times, reading everything very carefully. I don't mean anything derogatory by this, but the questions you asked are very clearly explained in the rules, specifically about putting rampaging orcs onto the map, and how you fight them. And, as Pabula said, refer to the site description cards too, they are an essential part of the game.


Understood. I had gone through the walkthrough a couple times and was probably just missing it. There is quite a lot to absorb here.

I didn't realize there were site description cards for the rampaging areas.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response. Active community is always a great thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the site description cards are handy to have for an easy reference to pass around, but it's annoying that they have different sites printed on each side of the card. If the one you're looking for isn't face-up and on top of the pile it can be cumbersome to find.

It would have been more convenient to have these printed on one side only. But at least, as far as I recall, all site descriptions are explained fully and in greater detail in the Walkthrough (pages 9 and 12–16) with the exception of cities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
it's annoying that they have different sites printed on each side of the card. If the one you're looking for isn't face-up and on top of the pile it can be cumbersome to find.

A good trick is to splay them Down, Innovation style.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željko Kumer
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to all who carefully watch the thread here

so we're playing the "Dungeon Lords" scenario, 2 players.
there is, i think 8 green tiles and 2 brown ones in the stack.
so we use up those ones and i get stuck on one side of the map. the rules say i can still lay new tiles. but in that case what happens with new villages or monasteries discovered? do they also get a secret tomb entrance near them?

we played so that the "secret tomb" feature is only for those villages/monasteries on the original tiles...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In night 2 of a Conquer and Hold game, if you defeat one of the two monsters in an opposing keep, is the remaining one discarded, forcing you to fight two new monsters again next time?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  38 , 39 , 40 , 41 , 42  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.