Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think so, since normally you must draw a random token when assaulting an unattended enemy keep. (Walkthrough, page 14.) The scenario doesn't change how the defender tokens are chosen, just the number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent about an hour rolling through the thread and trying BGG search and Google-fu and haven't found an answer to this. Maybe it's just too obvious!

Situation: Playing Tovak. Assaulting a keep with a Swordsmen (5 Standard Armor) garrison. Making an attack using Tovak's cold toughness, so Ice Attack 2. Does the Swordsmen's armor of 5 suffer the same "inefficient" penalties that my armor would suffer versus an ice attack? How much more attack do I need to defeat the Swordsmen?

It's either:

Ice Attack 2 consumes 2 Enemy Standard Armor, leaving 3 Attack remaining for defeat.

-or-

Ice Attack 2 consumes 4 Enemy Standard Armor, leaving 1 Attack remaining for defeat.

I scoured the rulebook, and the elemental damage section under the Mage Tower chapter doesn't mention it. I can't find it in any of the combat rules, either.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ice Attack 2 against something with no resistances, is just Attack 2, so you need 3 more points.

In fact, if the enemy has no resistances at all, then the type of attack is irrelevant.

The only time your Ice Attack would be of benefit is when you are attacking something which has for example "Physical Resistance". Now your Ice Attack 2 is still 2 as it is not physical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thank you Paul. I sorta knew I was over-thinking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Winiarczyk
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more question here. Does "Will Focus" card + green mana + Rage card can give 2+3=5 block ? eg, I want to use "standard effect" of the Rage card (2 Attack or 2 Block) but enhanced with "Will Focus".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wino45 wrote:
Just one more question here. Does "Will Focus" card + green mana + Rage card can give 2+3=5 block ? eg, I want to use "standard effect" of the Rage card (2 Attack or 2 Block) but enhanced with "Will Focus".

You can't do that per Will Focus text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wino45 wrote:

Yeah, just read the card and follow what it says, you clearly can't do that. I agree it's often annoying. Same thing happens with Swiftness (you can't play Concentration + green + Swiftness for movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Winiarczyk
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
wino45 wrote:

Yeah, just read the card and follow what it says, you clearly can't do that. I agree it's often annoying. Same thing happens with Swiftness (you can't play Concentration + green + Swiftness for movement).

When I reread card it is clear for me. My confusion source was phrase "Get the stronger effect..". It does not force you to use "stronger effect". But next sentence is "If THAT effect..". So for me you can use standard effect but you will not get bonus. However it does not make sense to use "Will Focus" and green mana to play standard effect of Rage. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wino45 wrote:
So for me you can use standard effect but you will not get bonus.

No, you can't. "Get the stronger effect" means that's what you get. You can't choose to get the weaker effect, instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wino45 wrote:
When I reread card it is clear for me. My confusion source was phrase "Get the stronger effect..". It does not force you to use "stronger effect".
I'm afraid it does. If something says "Get the stronger effect", you get the stronger effect, you cannot choose the standard effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Winiarczyk
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
wino45 wrote:
When I reread card it is clear for me. My confusion source was phrase "Get the stronger effect..". It does not force you to use "stronger effect".
I'm afraid it does. If something says "Get the stronger effect", you get the stronger effect, you cannot choose the standard effect.

You are right. The dictionary definition of "get" (merriam-webster.com) is :
1 a : to gain possession of
b : to receive as a return : earn

Next time I will check dictionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brewster
msg tools
Had this come up in a game last night with Noble Manners.

I was one fame off a level up, which would give me an extra command slot, and played Noble Manners on a town. Does the exception apply (Under End of Turn, page 9, 5d) so that I can hire a unit (using the fame from Noble Manners and some extra cards) and put it in my not-gained-yet-but-about-to-at-the-end-of-the-turn command slot? Or would I have to disband a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haplo_64 wrote:
I was one fame off a level up, which would give me an extra command slot, and played Noble Manners on a town. Does the exception apply (Under End of Turn, page 9, 5d) so that I can hire a unit (using the fame from Noble Manners and some extra cards) and put it in my not-gained-yet-but-about-to-at-the-end-of-the-turn command slot? Or would I have to disband a unit.

5(d) is about unit rewards from combat. If you recruit units during your turn, you can't use the command token that you don't get until the end of your turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Searched the forums all over for this but couldn't find the EXACT same question (I may have overlooked).

Monster fight. You get 4 Damage. You have Illusionists and Guardian Golems (both of which have Physical resistance). You want to minimize damage to your hero (and thus give it to your units). What's the final result?

A) No wounds anywhere (Illusionists take 2, Golems take 3)
B) 1 Wounded units. (Illusionists take 4)

In other words: do you HAVE to assign damage to a unit until it's wounded or can you divide it between two units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
javascrybe wrote:
Searched the forums all over for this but couldn't find the EXACT same question (I may have overlooked).

Monster fight. You get 4 Damage. You have Illusionists and Guardian Golems (both of which have Physical resistance). You want to minimize damage to your hero (and thus give it to your units). What's the final result?

A) No wounds anywhere (Illusionists take 2, Golems take 3)
B) 1 Wounded units. (Illusionists take 4)

In other words: do you HAVE to assign damage to a unit until it's wounded or can you divide it between two units?

You have an attack of physical 4;
you choose to assign damage to a unit;
in this case said unit has physical resistance;
the attack is reduced by the units armor from physical resistance;
damage remains;
wound the unit and reduce the remaining attack by the unit's armor.

When you choose to assign an attack to a unit, the full value is assigned to the unit. Resistances only cause a 'bounce' when the attack is of a type they are resistant to and the attack is equal or less than the unit's armor. Otherwise see above. Look under damage assignment in the rulebook for the offical text concerning this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
javascrybe wrote:

The trick is to search the rulebook first!

4(b) If the Unit is resistant to the elements of the attack...
• First, reduce amount of the damage by the Unit’s Armor (without Wounding the Unit).
• If this absorbs all the damage, nothing happens.
• If there is any remaining damage, continue assigning damage as usual by Wounding the Unit and reducing the damage total by its Armor value again.
– Units resistant to the given type of attack can absorb twice as much damage as they have Armor, and are Wounded only if the damage was greater than their Armor.

So, you've got 4 damage to assign. You choose to assign damage to the Illusionists. You reduce the damage by the unit's armor (2). Then you Wound the unit and reduce the damage by the unit's armor (2) again. Now all of the damage has been assigned, and you're done. The Illusionists are wounded. You can still assign damage from a different attack to the Golems.

Or, you choose to assign damage to the Golems. You reduce the damage by the unit's armor (3). Then you Wound the unit and reduce the damage by the unit's armor (3) again. Now all of the damage has been assigned, and you're done. The Golems are wounded. You can still assign damage, from a different attack, to the Illusionists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mb
javascrybe wrote:

The others have covered it, but the very short answer is: no. You can't sprinkle some damage here and some there in an effort to avoid Wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
javascrybe wrote:

The others have covered it, but the very short answer is: no. You can't sprinkle some damage here and some there in an effort to avoid Wounds.

But should you suffer 7 points of damage, you CAN assign it to the Golems (earning them a Wound in the process and "soaking" 6 points), and assign the leftover point to the Illusionists without wounding them. I get it now.

Thanks for the answers. I had searched the rulebook first, but the obligation to "go through with all damage" did not come up as crystal-clear to me. Of course, that might have been my desires warping my comprehension

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
javascrybe wrote:
But should you suffer 7 points of damage, you CAN assign it to the Golems (earning them a Wound in the process and "soaking" 6 points), and assign the leftover point to the Illusionists without wounding them. I get it now.

Yes. Or you could wound the Illusionists and not wound the Golems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or better use Illusionists to prevent the attack

And that my post is to topic.
Question, regarding Volkare.
Paul,
Does his legion reveal when a Mage Knight is nearby or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
Or better use Illusionists to prevent the attack

And that my post is to topic.
Question, regarding Volkare.
Paul,
Does his legion reveal when a Mage Knight is nearby or not?

Not as far as I know. Played last night with Filip, and that's the way we played, but we both had to think about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've got a bunch of questions:

a) Cooperative city assault: On page 11, number 2 it lists the requirement to initiate a co-op assault. What if we meet the requirements, but one player can't move into the city, he is adjacent but he only has one card. Can we still carry on with the attack?. Imagine: Players choose which part of the wall they will attack, and know the number of enemies they will face, but one player will taunt an enemy (since he cannot move into the city) so the other players get less enemies at once. Or a player needs to have at least 2 cards, to generate 2 move, to initiate a co-op assault?

b) Regeneration: Can I play it during combat to ready an unit? Healing points don't work of course.

c) Can I ready a Unit during combat so it can generate twice its attack? eg: I attack with golems (2 attack),it gets spent, use herbalist to ready them up and have them attack again. Total: 4 attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer to b) and c) is no, because you can't use effects/cards marked with the healing symbol (an open hand) during combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can join the cooperative assault if you have no way to move to the city. I agree it's not clearly stated in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've been playing that the only person who has to move into the city is the one who is initiating the assault, and others who join in do not need to move in since that is what is implied in the rules. I think this is one that needs an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  39 , 40 , 41 , 42 , 43  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.