Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mrraow wrote:
Man or Astroman wrote:
Aside from all the discussion, try it. I bet you like it and categorize it as "Fun".

Sore point, actually; no-one wants to ship the game (Cornerstone) outside of the US; Kosmos were meant to be releasing a version last year, but didn't.

Better than Cornerstone, no dexterity, no luck and available for a good price:

The Climbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
aleitas wrote:
I've played mostly euro games up until this point, that is until I recently purchased Blokus. I am hoping for some recommendations for some more abstract games...

Here's a question: what did you like about Blokus? Was it the pieces, the geometry, the strategic planning? Something else? That might help narrow down the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhowe wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
mhowe wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
Bridging is another word for dumbing down...

:yuk:

Or it's a word for a game with the strategy of an abstract and the eye appeal of a euro.

Says who?

Says the guy who used it first and then had to defend his intent against an arbitrary and unorthodox redefinition.

Says the guy who declares my definition to be arbitrary and unorthodox for no reason other than it disagrees with yours.

Since when do euros universally have eye appeal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Says the guy who declares my definition to be arbitrary and unorthodox for no reason other than it disagrees with yours.

Since when do euros universally have eye appeal?

I think it's pretty obvious that mhowe meant eye appeal to people who tend to prefer the way typical euros look to the way typical abstract games look (are you willing to grant that such people exist, whether or not you personally agree with their taste?), rather than making some absolute universal aesthetic statement as you seem to insist on interpreting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I obviously have a ton of recomendations to look through. I would say I enjoyed Blokus a lot because of the stategic planning expect to it.I also really liked that it had sort of a puzzle aspect to it.The game seems to never go the same way because there are so many combinations which gives it a high replayability.I don't I could ever get bored of the game.I wouldn't necessary say the geometry or the pieces had much to do with the appeal of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been around for 2000+ years, scholars say no two games have ever played alike, there's three rules to the whole game and more strategy/tactics than the Top 5 combined... and it's available in most game stores for as little as $20US.

You're WELCOME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Klemer
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aleitas wrote:
I obviously have a ton of recomendations to look through. I would say I enjoyed Blokus a lot because of the stategic planning expect to it.I also really liked that it had sort of a puzzle aspect to it.The game seems to never go the same way because there are so many combinations which gives it a high replayability.I don't I could ever get bored of the game.I wouldn't necessary say the geometry or the pieces had much to do with the appeal of the game.

Based on this, I would not pimp the games I usually trot off in an AbStrat recommendation thread (Cannon, Arimaa, Pikemen/Star Fleet Scramble, Ordo and some game by that shill in New York.)

Instead, I would tell you to check out other puzzly-but-good titles, Take it Easy!, Cities, and the AbStrat with hidden goals, Metropolys. Also worth re-recommending the sort of anti-Blokus, Hey, That's My Fish!.

Welcome to the slippery slope.

[Edit - typos.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronaldinho @boardspace.net
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmb
blokus 3D
gemblo
blokus trigon

through the desert
callisto
hey that's my fish
quads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
drunkenKOALA wrote:
blokus 3D
gemblo
blokus trigon

through the desert
callisto
hey that's my fish
quads

Nice job; good to see Quads on your list. I think it's a nice fit to what the O.P. is seeking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Komorowski
Poland
Piotrkow Tryb.
flag msg tools
Hello,
This is my list of best abstract games:
Mancala games - for example oware ( awale ),
Quoridor,
Gyges,
Arimaa,
Dvonn.
There are many good abstract games, but these 5 are the best ones in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafko wrote:
Hello,
This is my list of best abstract games:
Mancala games - for example oware ( awale ).
I recently had a chance to play a mancala variant The Colonywhich was cute and fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
mrraow wrote:
First up, abstract is overloaded, as you've probably noticed; some people think abstract=themeless, Many more use "abstract" to mean "combinatorial" (no luck, no hidden information). I encourage people to avoid using the word these days.

Leo Colovini's games are worth a look as a stepping stone from Euros; they usually have a thin veneer of theme over a combinatorial game mechanism.
I've only recently discovered Mr Colovini ... good designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I see Fanorona and Quoridor have already been mentioned .. they are some of my favourites .. easy to learn and quick to play.

I'd also suggest Entrapment .. it is so far the best wall/block/capture game I've played. Also easy to learn and fun to play with great levels of depth..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I thought of have already been mentioned, but here's my recommendations anyway;

Hive
The Climbers
Quoridor
Ingenious
Mijnlieff
ZÈRTZ
Coloretto
Pentago
Through the Desert

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
My favorite abstract is Hex, but what you should really do is go to boardspace.net and iggamecenter.com and try a few of the candidates mentioned here. Boardspace is great on the visual aspect of abstracts, Ig Game Center has a huge selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.