Subject: Unanswered questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giammario Giannotti
Italy
Pescara
flag msg tools
Hi!
Here are 10 unanswered questions about rules of Wildlife. Someone of you knows official or, at least, compelling answers?

1. A player can partecipate at auctions for his own cards (i.e. during his turn)?
(maybe not, because it is specified that "On his turn a player must auction at least 1 card to his opponents as one of his actions")

2. What happens if during a scoring there is a tie between 3 or more players? They all lose 1 position, or they lose positions depending of their number? For example, if there are 3 players tied for the first position, they are considered all seconds or all thirds?

3. The action of losing 1 Success Point to gain 3 Food Chips can be used only during an auction? If yes, then why it's in the list of turn's actions? If no, you can use it several times in every direction? In this last case, is there a reason for not to remain at zero success points and sell all Food Chips just at the end of the game (except for the Famine text-card)?
(maybe you can convert SP to FC after an auction, and both SP-to-FC or FC-to-SP only during your turn)

4. Using Ability cards: within the list of turn's actions, there is "Actions gained from Ability cards", in which it is specified that the player can use "one or more of his acquired Ability cards". The question is: is it just a single phase of the turn, or a player can use one of his Ability cards, then (for example) play a card from his hand, then use another Ability card?

5. Ability card Mobility: haw does it work? Particularly, in the card text it is written: "Move 1 of your own creatures on the board to any other space", an then "Only your CR is required to have the correct adaptation level in the new space". This means that to perform a switch it is sufficient that my own creature doesn't have No actions, or it must have Attack?

6. Ability card Food: it is possible to score the 2 success points in the same turn in which you have taken the card? This question is because in the card text it's specified "Gain 2 success points at the beginning of each turn". However it's also written in the rules that "The action of the Ability card is available for use immediately".

7. Ability Card Defense: it's possible to use it in your own turn, against a player who wins one of your auctions?

8. It's possible to use the Attack action without add a new tile? It makes sense, for example, in the last turn, when a player could have no tiles but he wants to eliminate other players ones.

9. Text card Food surplus: what happens if in the last position there is more than one player in a tie?

10. A player has to keep Food Chips visible to all other players, or he can reveal them just during the major scoring?

If you have other unanswered questions, write them here. If you want answers too, please thumb this thread up so -hopefully- someone from Uberplay will see it.

Thanks to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberplay went out of business a year or so ago. As to your questions, some of them already have answers, in the Rules questions posted for the game.

1. A player cannot participate in the auction of his own card. As you point out, he must auction it to his opponents.

2. The rules state that for a tie, all tied players drop to the next lower rank, so it would not matter how many tie for first, they would all drop to second.

3. The version 2 rules found in the Files section for this game clears this up.

4. The Abilities rules state, "You may use each ability once during your turn. (Exception: You may use the Defense "Verteidigung" ability once per each opponent's turn.) You may use them in any order and at any time during your turn.

5. I think the rules state this pretty clearly: "Move one of your organisms from any space on the board to any space on the board. If this space is occupied, you exchange places with the occupant. Only your organism must be adapted to its new location. (You must have the migration adaptation or higher.) The Defense ability may block the exchange."

6. The general rules of card text in pretty much any game is that if it confers some ability that contravenes the rules, then that is the intent of the card. In other words, if the card says you only score the points at the beginning of a turn, then you only score points at the beginning of the turn, because the card states something different from what the rules state.

7. That's a good question. But the rules state that you may use each ability once in your turn, and that you may use Defense once per each opponent's turn - it does not say either you use it during your turn or during the opponent's turns, so logically, you should be able to use it once during your turn, and once during each opponent's turn.

8. The way "Attack" is described, you take a piece of yours from your supply to complete the attack. Logically, if you have no such piece, you cannot complete the action, so I would say, "No".

9. The rules state, "You receive 7 food points. The player(s) in last place receive(s) 3 food points". That means you receive 7 points regardless. In addition to that, any players in last receive 3 food points.

10. We have always played with them face-up, although I can find nothing in the rules, one way or the other. (This generally means that such an item is open information, in other games, when the rules do not state you can keep them hidden.) However, you can clearly play either way, so long as everyone agrees to it beforehand.

Wildlife is a terrific game. I personally think it's Kramer's best design - a Euro with in-your-face interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giammario Giannotti
Italy
Pescara
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answers! I didn't found the version 2 rules! blush

DarrellKH wrote:
6. The general rules of card text in pretty much any game is that if it confers some ability that contravenes the rules, then that is the intent of the card. In other words, if the card says you only score the points at the beginning of a turn, then you only score points at the beginning of the turn, because the card states something different from what the rules state.

Ok, good argument.

DarrellKH wrote:
7. That's a good question. But the rules state that you may use each ability once in your turn, and that you may use Defense once per each opponent's turn - it does not say either you use it during your turn or during the opponent's turns, so logically, you should be able to use it once during your turn, and once during each opponent's turn.

Yeah, but in the card it is written "On each of your opponent's turns...", not "On each player's turn", and I think it is the only grip to answer my question.

DarrellKH wrote:
8. The way "Attack" is described, you take a piece of yours from your supply to complete the attack. Logically, if you have no such piece, you cannot complete the action, so I would say, "No".

I agree. We also played in this way.

Now, I have another question:
11. Minor Scoring occurs immediately when one places the last tile in an area? Or at the end of his turn? For example, can I complete an area, take the Minor Scoring points, and then migrate from that area to another in the same turn?

I think yes, but it is not clear in the rules.

DarrellKH wrote:
Wildlife is a terrific game. I personally think it's Kramer's best design - a Euro with in-your-face interaction.

Unfortunately, until now we couldn't manage to have a single match with all the correct rules. In every game, we correct some wrong rules applied in the former. Maybe is this the reason why I like this game more and more as I play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
rayden wrote:
Thanks for your answers! I didn't found the version 2 rules! blush

Go to the main page for the game WildLife.

Under "Files", go to page 2.

Or, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1720/wildliferules2-do....

rayden wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Yeah, but in the card it is written "On each of your opponent's turns...", not "On each player's turn", and I think it is the only grip to answer my question.

That's a good point. I agree - what the card states takes priority over the rules. Now, if I can just remember that, the next time we play, months from now...

rayden wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

I agree. We also played in this way.

Now, I have another question:
11. Minor Scoring occurs immediately when one places the last tile in an area? Or at the end of his turn? For example, can I complete an area, take the Minor Scoring points, and then migrate from that area to another in the same turn?

I think yes, but it is not clear in the rules.

We have always played that you can, as the rules do state (if I recall correctly) that Minor Scoring does occur "immediately", and not at the end of a turn.

rayden wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Unfortunately, until now we couldn't manage to have a single match with all the correct rules. In every game, we correct some wrong rules applied in the former. Maybe is this the reason why I like this game more and more as I play it?

My group usually manages to find a way to enjoy a game, even if we initially get a rule or two wrong - unless a rule we got wrong completely breaks the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

thumbsup

I also think The Swarm captures the same and recommend trying it to anyone who likes those in-your face euro qualities of Wildlife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Renaud
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildlife is awesome, nice topic. and the answers provided seems ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.