Subject: Unofficial FAQ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my 4 questions to FFG answered by Corey, so it sounds like other rulings are coming down soon. This thread is just to collect the various rulings.

I hope an official FAQ comes out soon, but even if not, we could use this to start an unofficial FAQ, since there are so many ambiguities in the rulebook.

Q. If Locusts are moved as the result of Order Cards such as "Sit Tight" and "Ambush", does the Locust take cover after it is moved (if it has a Take Cover icon)?
A. Yes, the locust would then take cover (if able).

Q. If an AI card activates all Wretches, and the first Wretch to attack causes a Wretch to spawn via its omen special ability, is this new Wretch also activated by this AI card?
A. Yes, the newly spawned Wretch would be activated by this card.

Q. If an AI card gets a few locusts to target "you" (not "nearest COG figure") and you bleed out after the first locust attacks you, what do the rest of the locusts do?
A bleeding out active player still makes all choices on the card, and if the AI card refers to "you", the card instead targets any other COG of the active player’s choice. (page 21)

Q. Who wins if the COGs accomplish the mission but all COGs bleed out? (e.g. if you drop a grenade in your area and blow everybody up, including yourself).
A. If all COGS are bleeding out, they lose the game (regardless of if they are fulfilling the victory conditions).

Q. Can the Berserker be attacked and Guarded against in the Belly of the Beast scenario? The Enemy Card suggests yes, but the clarification in the rulebook says it cannot be attacked.
A. (to tkelly) Yes.

Q. Why is Location Card 3A used both in Level 1 and Level 3 of the Roadblocks scenario?
A. (to Titeman) My apologies but I accidentaly sent you the wrong rules answer yesterday. Level 3 of the Roadblocks mission should have map 12A instead of 3A.

Q. Do ammo tokens also include grenade tokens?
A. (to Dam the Man) When a card or ability refers to AMMO, it specifically does NOT refer to grenades. This includes location cards that provide ammo, and Order/AI cards which affect ammo.

Are characters (both COG and locust) able to move areas diagonally? The rules state that they can move to any adjacent area which shares a cracked dirt border but this isn't to clear as diagonal area share a cracked dirt corner instead - does this constitute a border?
A. (to Mmzomba) Yes, COGS and Enemies may move diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Berserker, can you shoot the air to make it follow you? (i.e. have no Locust target but still make it attack).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some AI cards mention "...move Locust A a X number of areas and move Locust B a Y number of areas." Should the card be resolved in order {first all As then all Bs}?

Based on the ruling on the manual can the active player choose the order of activation of Locusts and activate for example a Locust B first, then activate a Locust A and then a B and generally mix it up so that he can get them to favorable positions to set up a Guard reaction with maximum effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
selwyth wrote:

Q. If an AI card activates all Wretches, and the first Wretch to attack causes a Wretch to spawn via its omen special ability, is this new Wretch also activated by this AI card?

HATE this ruling. Normally when something spawns that's all it does for the turn. I see no reason why wretch attack spawns should be different. This also allows for crappy die rolling to cause loops where each spawned wretch ends up spawning another.
Bleh, change this to a no Corey!

Quote:
Why is Location Card 3B (or is it 3A?) used both in Level 1 and Level 3 of the Roadblocks scenario?

The better question is why the hell does roadblocks even have a level 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

selwyth wrote:
I hope an official FAQ comes out soon, but even if not, we could use this to start an unofficial FAQ, since there are so many ambiguities in the rulebook.

Sounds like a good idea! This goes to show that what's intuitive to one person is not so to another...

selwyth wrote:
Q. If Locusts are moved as the result of Order Cards such as "Sit Tight" and "Ambush", does the Locust take cover after it is moved (if it has a Take Cover icon)?

I thought this was explicit in the rulebook?

selwyth wrote:

This is a pretty weird ruling, and goes against what I'm used to in board games: i.e. resolve all actions one at a time.

selwyth wrote:
Q. If an AI card gets a few locusts to target "you" (not "nearest COG figure") and you bleed out after the first locust attacks you, what do the rest of the locusts do?
A bleeding out active player still makes all choices on the card, and if the AI card refers to "you", the card instead targets any other COG of the active player’s choice. (page 21)

This is weird in the same way.

selwyth wrote:
Q. Who wins if the COGs accomplish the mission but all COGs bleed out? (e.g. if you drop a grenade in your area and blow everybody up, including yourself).
A. If all COGS are bleeding out, they lose the game (regardless of if they are fulfilling the victory conditions).

Good clarification: I would have assumed this counts as a win 'for the greater good'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FiretopMountain wrote:

selwyth wrote:

I thought this was explicit in the rulebook?

A little ambiguity there for me, since it was in a section of the rulebook that sounded like it only applied to Locust movement due to AI cards. And also since Locusts are sometimes dumb (you choose whom they attack, so you always choose the one with most cover/health) and sometimes smart (they take the best cover possible), so I wanted to see if they were smart or dumb with these Order Cards.

Updated with other rulings I've seen. Post any you've received here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Q. Why is Location Card 3A used both in Level 1 and Level 3 of the Roadblocks scenario?
A. (to Titeman) It should be 4A. (but 4A is also in Level 1)

Just received another email from Corey: "My apologies but I accidentaly sent you the wrong rules answer yesterday. Level 3 of the Roadblocks mission should have map 12A instead of 3A."...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked about ammo vs grenade mentions on cards/abilities and received this reply:

"When a card or ability refers to AMMO, it specifically does NOT refer to grenades. This includes location cards that provide ammo, and Order/AI cards which affect ammo.

Corey Konieczka"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Question:
Are characters (both COG and locust) able to move areas diagonally? The rules state that they can move to any adjacent area which shares a cracked dirt border but this isn't to clear as diagonal area share a cracked dirt corner instead - does this constitute a border?

Yes, COGS and Enemies may move diagonally.

I hope this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Mmzomba wrote:
Rule Question:

-Corey Konieczka

That's rule number 2 I dislike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmzomba wrote:
Rule Question:

-Corey Konieczka

Ι don't really like this rule. This means that when counting areas for weapon range or for resolving AI cards the distances are increaseddecreased.

IncreasedDecreased weapon range helps the COGs but increaseddecreased move distance greatly helps the Locusts. Since I'm not really a big fan of home rules not until I have fully played with the official rules at least I'm going to give it a try with that new information and see if it makes any difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
Mmzomba wrote:
Rule Question:

-Corey Konieczka

Ι don't really like this rule. This means that when counting areas for weapon range or for resolving AI cards the distances are increased.

Increased weapon range helps the COGs but increased move distance greatly helps the Locusts. Since I'm not really a big fan of home rules not until I have fully played with the official rules at least I'm going to give it a try with that new information and see if it makes any difference.

Increased? You mean Decreased, right? Look at this example:

If you can move diagonally, Fenix is 1 area away from the Wretch. If you cannot move diagonally, Fenix is 2 areas away from the Wretch. Allowing diagonal movement decreases range.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Increased? You mean Decreased, right?

Right, I did mean decreased indeed. Fixed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmzomba wrote:
Rule Question:

-Corey Konieczka

Whoa?! This goes against all tenets of rules-writing. If diagonal movement is possible, you need to specify it explicitly in the rules.

Diagonal spaces don't share a cracked dirt border; they share a cracked dirt point

Don't like this ruling at all, for how it wasn't presented at all in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
I've been playing 'no diagonal' and the game works brilliantly. What's the point of it? It just makes wepon range more useless and running tactics even better.
I'm not using it.
It's a rule change. RAW does not include diagonal.

Corey needs to run his FAQ changes through me for some good advice, because his current advisor (which may be himself) sucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, diagonal movement/range is for pansies who play the video game on Casual difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Z
msg tools
We always play that we can move diagonally.

"Areas are considered adjacent when they share a cracked dirt border."
Border, not border line.
Where is written that border have to be a "line" and can not be a point"??

Place imaginary lines (yes cracked dirt borders are imaginary lines created for movement purposes) in your room and explain why can't you move diagonally
For me it's natural that you can move diagonally, but also i don't play many other games so I'm not influenced by their rules.

But there comes another question:
What if at the border point is cover space (map tile 11B)?

There is no cracked dirt border between four areas so a COG figure cannot move diagonally and have to go around that cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. In that case it's very clear that the diagonal spaces do not share a cracked point and so are not adjacent.

But as for border line vs. Point, I fall in the camp that a point is not a border. I mean, do you ever hear that Colorado shares a border with Arizona? But of course I will defer to the official FAQ when it dcomes out (and blame the manual author for not being more clear).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
border (n) - an outer part or edge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.