Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's that time again! Once again, special thanks to GeckoTH for making the templates needed for this scenario to happen.

Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Barrow-downs are probably one of the most interesting areas of Eriador. It has a rich history, and even the short chapter in Fellowship where Frodo & pals head through the Barrow-downs is filled with all kinds of great imagery and a sense of forlorn that I loved. Since there's a distinct lack of non-orc enemies in the LOTR LCG, I chose the Barrow-downs as the location for my next scenario, to give you guys some sweet hero-on-Undead action.

This is a fairly difficult scenario, around the same difficulty as Escape From Dol Guldor (difficulty: 6). The enemies are pretty tough, with high defense and some nasty tricks. Worse, there are a ton of Conditions in this scenario, which inflict your heroes with all kinds of awful effects. Be sure to bring some cards that can cancel or remove Conditions, or you might find your fellowship fleeing in terror from the horrors released by...

The Culling at the Barrow-downs
(See below for alternate versions of the PDF.)

Once again, I tried my best to find the artists or sources for all of the images I used; if you know an artist I failed to compensate, please let me know so that I can give credit where credit is due. None of the images used are my own, and I claim no right to any of them. I am deeply grateful to all artists involved and if any of them wish for their art to be removed from the cards, I will immediately.

In this quest, your fellowship will venture into the Barrow-downs in search for a group of Bree children lured away by the song of a terrifying Barrow-wight known as Faedthandir.

As you quest through the Barrow-downs, you'll be lead into the depths of Othrongoth, the Great Barrow, where you'll rescue the children, and face Faedthandir himself. Faedthandir is immortal and cannot be destroyed, but can be momentarily banished. While he is "alive", the players cannot progress through the quest. This leads to a climactic back-and-forth where the players rush to kill Faedthandir as quickly as possible, then try to flee as best they can. If they can't get through the quest in one go, Faedthandir returns, and the process continues!

While you quest, you'll be inflicted with all kinds of crazy conditions, ranging from conditions that put your heroes to sleep and trap them in a Barrow to conditions that reduce their base willpower straight to zero. Fortunately, a mysterious song lingers in the air which gives your heroes courage and dispels these conditions - and it seems to come from the Old Forest...

In the old barrows, there are treasures - blades of red hue forged specifically to deal with the forces of shadow. Unfortunately, they are guarded by the eldest and deadliest of Barrow-wights, who are so frightening only the strongest willed heroes can defend against them.

I've included PDFs of the copies of each card you'll need for this scenario. I'm not very good at making high-quality PDFs, so if you'd like to make your own, I've also included in this post images of every card, which you can download for yourself. Below is a decklist of the number of each card you'd need if you wished to print them out separately. If you want to make backs for these cards, I've included the images just below.

I've also included two heroes of my own design. I originally wanted to include one of these custom heroes per scenario, but I decided to throw in the second hero here because he really helps tie the scenario together. Anborn is one of Faramir's rangers. In Return of the King, he is the ranger that spots Gollum and reports the creature's presence to Faramir. In addition to being a skilled archer, providing Spirit with some much-needed keyword action, Anborn can use his tracking skills to progress through locations the rest of the party can't or won't scout out. In many situations, his ability can be more useful than questing. Throw an Unexpected Courage on him, and he can quest and get rid of locations, or even attack. Erestor - Elrond's chief counselor - is a different kind of hero. While his stats are fairly low, his ability to remove conditions - while costly - can easily save a fellowship from ill fates such as Caught In A Web, Sacked, or the many terrible conditions included in this very scenario.

A quick note about balance: While any custom scenario is, by its very nature, balanced by being self-contained, a Hero is not. That is, a custom scenario can't truly be "too" tough or "too" easy; that is just the inherent difficulty of the scenario. A Hero that can be used in any scenario, however, has the potential to unbalance the game. Keep this in mind when using custom heroes; you can entirely ignore their presence if you want.

Please give me any questions or comments you have. As with my previous quests I will immediately fix any problems with the cards if they aren't easily errata'd right here. I have playtested the quest quite a few times, but I don't exactly have a team of playtesters like FFG does. If you feel up to it, please post any session reports you have from this scenario! It would help me greatly, and I'd be indebted to you.

I have a session report of one of my own playtests for this scenario (with pictures!) which I will be posting separately within the next couple days.

Encounter Decklist:
One of each Quest card
Barrow-wight x3
Barrow-bats x2
Barrow-spider x1
Fell-spirit x2
Ancient Tomb-wight x1
Faedthandir x1
Wight Lord x4
Barrow-blade x4
Song From the Old Forest x1
Fog and Melancholy x2
The Wight's Song x2
Bitter Cold x3
Ancient Barrow x3
Foggy Hills x2
Cairn Stones x2
Cardolan Standing Stones x1
Anborn x1
Erestor x1
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had only seen the Chetwood quest. I really liked the idea but found some of the encounters crazy too strong, just out of proportion (the unique siblings, for instance), which did not have to happen to make the scenario difficult. I like the look of this one less thematicaly but much more mechanicaly.

Overall, I have to say you are so skilled with the cards! Some of those before were beautiful, like the Tracked treachery. And here the Song from the Old Forest, wonderful!

Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Its amazing + difficult 6. man im ready to play this one. cannoy wait!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth Kick Starts August 28th
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really nice mate - great work!
Added to geeklist here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72931/item/1863770#ite...

For PDFs: when you're saving an A4 page of cards in PhotoShop could you try saving as a copy (not layers), un-checking "Preserve Photoshop editing capabilities", and then dropping image quality down to "High" rather than Max/Highest? These things might reduce your PDF size enough to get them uploaded. Hope this helps!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fazumar Faelcree
msg tools
WOW!

What incredible detail went into all those cards.

If I didn't know going into the thread, I would have thought they were spoilers of an upcoming FFG adventure pack!

Well done sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
OMG...I am in awe sir, I am in awe. Do you know I am more excited to get a chance to play this, than anything FFG has announced? Truly you are a master. I hope this plays as well as it looks. Although I suspect solo is going to be, to put it mildly, "difficult".

Have you considered creating your scenarios as Print-On-Demand from Artscow? It took me a whole night of cutting and glue-sticking to my spares from a 2nd core set to put together your #2 (which I still haven't played). It would be awesome if we could get real cards in hand.

Things I noticed from a first read through.
#2A seems overcomplicated. I'm also unclear whether I shuffle the discard into the Encounter only when I've pulled a card from there, or every time. Can I suggest the simpler "Search the Encounter deck and Discard pile for ~. Then, shuffle the discard pile into the Encounter deck."

Fell-Spirit: What if the first player doesn't have a hero committed to the quest?

Barrow Wight: It looks like the Forced: effect is part of the When Revealed: effect. (otherwise I'm confused). In that case, I suggest just removing the newline and the "Forced:" and letting it all be one clause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelein de Cratia
Spain
Guayota City
Nivaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF, please! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BuddhaBob74 wrote:
OMG...I am in awe sir, I am in awe. Do you know I am more excited to get a chance to play this, than anything FFG has announced? Truly you are a master. I hope this plays as well as it looks. Although I suspect solo is going to be, to put it mildly, "difficult".

Wow. Thanks! I think that's the best praise I've ever gotten. blush I put a lot of work into it, so I do hope you enjoy playing it. It'll definitely be difficult solo - it'll really depend on the deck you use. I think a well-constructed deck, with some luck, can pull through.

BuddhaBob74 wrote:
Have you considered creating your scenarios as Print-On-Demand from Artscow? It took me a whole night of cutting and glue-sticking to my spares from a 2nd core set to put together your #2 (which I still haven't played). It would be awesome if we could get real cards in hand.

Absolutely. I want to make sure the sizes are correct though, before I go ahead and try ordering a copy for myself. If I order one for myself and it comes out looking good, I will share it with everybody on BGG so you can order it yourself!

BuddhaBob74 wrote:
#2A seems overcomplicated. I'm also unclear whether I shuffle the discard into the Encounter only when I've pulled a card from there, or every time. Can I suggest the simpler "Search the Encounter deck and Discard pile for ~. Then, shuffle the discard pile into the Encounter deck."

That's essentially what I was going for. Honestly, I'm not sure why I worded it the way I did. laugh Usually I'm pretty good about that stuff.

[q="BuddhaBob74"]Fell-Spirit: What if the first player doesn't have a hero committed to the quest?

Then there's nobody for him to attach to, so nothing happens and he just stays out in the staging area. It's similar to as if you'd pulled a treachery card that said "Deal two damage to each exhausted character," but you have no exhausted characters. In that case, you just get lucky! Of course, not having any characters questing is pretty rare...

BuddhaBob74 wrote:
Barrow Wight: It looks like the Forced: effect is part of the When Revealed: effect. (otherwise I'm confused). In that case, I suggest just removing the newline and the "Forced:" and letting it all be one clause.

The When Revealed effect is supposed to resolve first, so it reads like an "If X, then A, if not, then B" effect. If the active location is a barrow, then bam, the bonus applies until the end of the turn. If it's not a barrow, then the Forced effect happens and you travel to one (if there's one in play). You wouldn't get the When Revealed effect in that situation, because it's after it's been revealed. I know, the timing is really wonky, and I wasn't sure what the best way to word it was. I hope this clarifies the way it was intended to be played. cool

Thanks again! I can't wait to hear your experience with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Feonix wrote:
Of course, not having any characters questing is pretty rare...

But it's heroes, and in a multiplayer where I know this is coming I'm sure we'd try to keep the primary from committing his heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's some awesome new ideas in your cards! great work again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
letsdance wrote:
there's some awesome new ideas in your cards! great work again.

Agree 100% - Feonix has really raised the bar with this batch of scenarios. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
I look on the cards and its looks very promising. I dont know how it will play i still need to prin out an play but i do it soon. I thing if FFG give us that level of quests i start to complain about difficult level at all. Great Great man!!!!! I can take my hat off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Sorry i meant stop to complain about difficult level at all.

Anyway the quest idea it looks very interesting and fresh.Thanks one more time man!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
Australia
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks VERY cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelein wrote:
PDF, please! whistle

I made a PDF for printing, hope you don't mind if I share it Feonix, let me know if you want it removing:

http://ratdorg.blogspot.com/2011/10/feonixs-custom-scenario-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahah, I don't mind one bit. I have one, it just takes a decade for BGG to approve any files I want to upload. My version should be posted any day now... Otherwise, this will work perfectly. Thanks!

EDIT: FYI, not a huge deal, but I think there's one too many Barrow-bats and one fewer Ancient Barrows in your PDF. There should be 2 bats and 3 barrows. cool Honestly it wouldn't change much the other way around though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
ninjadorg wrote:

I made a PDF for printing,

I appreciate this being 9 cards/sheet instead of 6, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I know some people love 9 per sheet. My printer is old and for whatever reason the border it can't print inside is gigantic, so I can't print 9 per sheet without resizing the cards to be smaller. =| hence why my pdfs are 6 per sheet. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
pelein wrote:
PDF, please! whistle

I made a PDF for printing, hope you don't mind if I share it Feonix, let me know if you want it removing:

http://ratdorg.blogspot.com/2011/10/feonixs-custom-scenario-...

Very good man. Thanks. Hope tomorow can print out and play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ahrendt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work! I am really enjoying this scenario. I did notice some _minor_ typos in case you are interested:

Barrow-Blade
In the When Revealed: "cards" -> "card"

Ancient Tomb-wight
"plae"->"place"

Barrow-bats
In the Shadow: "(if"->"(If"

Foggy Hills and The Wight's Song both are numbered 11

Thanks for all your hard work Feonix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
remote009 wrote:

Foggy Hills and The Wight's Song both are numbered 11

I can't believe you noticed that. You're my hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend

Berwyn
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Hey Feonix: Erestor totally breaks Rhosgobel. Explore it in 2 turns, then get busy healin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remote009 wrote:
Foggy Hills and The Wight's Song both are numbered 11.

OOPS blush

Thanks for that. If I build a new PDF I'll fix that right up.

BuddhaBob74 wrote:
Erestor totally breaks Rhosgobel. Explore it in 2 turns, then get busy healin'.

Hm? Erestor only cures Conditions, and to my knowledge Rhosgobel doesn't have any Condition cards in it, right (like Caught in a Web)? Either way, the heroes aren't meant to be completely balanced, they're mostly there for fun. =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
With all my respect i will never play this heroes cose yes sure they destroy balance of the game in other quest most of the time. But scenario is ok. I will try tonight!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So awesome... thumbsup

This is so well put together, I can't wait to try it out! Fantastic artwork across the board. My only nit-pick is that the poor Wight Lord looks so lonely without any background!

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd give him a home, and throw a bit o' color on his undead cheeks.

Simply an alternate version so he visually fits in with the rest of his buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.