Subject: Balancing the Game With Handicaps? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of bringing this classic game out sometime soon, but I know that the victory point balance is not particularly good – especially for the U.S., who has almost no chance of winning. Would it be worthwhile to add handicapping victory points to balance the game? Say, 8 for the US, 5 for Russia, and 2 or 3 each for UK/France?

Or do people find it fun to play the U.S. even though it's practically hopeless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with both:
* if you're playing for scores, you might want to handicap it ~ including if necessary for players inexperienced with this kind of game;

* if playing for simulation, the US is just as fun as any of the others - the score system reflecting well both their historical interests/goals, and the challenges/difficulties faced in achieving them.

"Origins WWII" is fantastically malleable (just by adjusting the scores), making it easy to explore many different 'what-ifs', options, and player-accommodations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.