tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a great game, just so you know I am biased about this game.

photo thanks to:
Matt Bruce
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I play this one a whole lot in person with my friend Matt. Matt plays a lot against the computer so he can beat me . He does OK, but I usually win more then my share against him. Today I had a some time to kill at work before lunch and Matt agreed to a game.

So today I logged my 369th game of this played but have played it way more then that in reality. The thing about this game is that it is always different. I am still learning new moves and one of our 3 games I saw the battlefield different then I had ever seen it before - so I would say there is a lot of replayability to this one. I tried out new strategies today, which you think would be tough to do after so many plays, and they did not work out for me, lol.

So this is a simple card game at heart, but with so many great decisions to be made and some real strategy to boot. A lot is knowing the cards, since you both have identical decks, and keeping track of what the other guy has already played, something I do not do and which cost me one of the games.

The first game I came out strong and played a artillery to bomb his home base and a tank to take out his only other guy after his first move. This is always a great start and if he does not have the cards can end the game very early. Even though I started strong he had the right cards to fend me off for the next couple of rounds. Then he got the upper hand on me and I was on the defense. I had to pull out my airstrikes first and then had to use the 2nd one and knew I could be in real trouble. I barely held him off. I then swept in late with some good cards and thought I had him on the ropes only to find out he still had a tank left ( one of only 2 cards that can kill on its own ) and he shut down my plans. At this point I knew there was no way I was taking the hill so I went into defense mode and tried to end with more cards then him. We where basically tied on cards, but he had an airstrike left so I was going to lose I thought. The spots on the sides of the hill where open but the spaces by them where taken by us, so it was a weird set up. I choose to go out on the outside and kill one of his exposed paratroopers where I knew he could not get back at me to attack my guys. This caught me up with him, but who wants a tie I say

I took a chance that he was out of Heavy Artillery ( here if you where a card counter you would be better at this then me ) and set one of my infantry by one of his troops with only 1 card left in my hand, he had 2. With out the Heavy artillery I knew he would not be able to kill my guy sitting right by one of his guys, the beauty of this game runs deep, and he would be screwed since that set me up to place my last card and kill off one of his guys, thus giving me the lead by one card and the win. It was a great game and we both enjoyed it. It was very sweet, that is till we played 2 more and he took the hill both times.

Hope you enjoyed

Game On'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Johnston
United States
Chino Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. This is an excellent game. I love how portable it is too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Annie was a Bayesian....
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the truly all time great two player games...GM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny...I'm the publisher, and I've played well over a thousand games (long since lost track) but I still have a hard time believing how long the learning curve is on this game. I often tell people that I'm only now getting to the point where I don't think I'm learning more...and even then I'm not sure. Hill 218 is one of my design inspirations -- it reminds me how much depth of play can come out of a very modest set of mechanics and pieces.

Thanks for the report...glad to know about people who are as hooked on this game as I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chad,

Yep, it is such a great and deep game, I have logged at least 50 more plays online, and yes the computer is tough - glad it does not count cards - ninja
But is a great to have such a portable ( its a deck of cards ) game that is so deep, and yet easy to learn ( OK my friends usually take a few games to really figure out the whole reinforcement thing, or needing a 2nd guy by the card being attacked - but I have made some very big hand printed players aids and that seems to help in the long run ).

My deck is looking pretty beat up to be honest, so this is one I will be looking to get 3 more copies of the next time in the states ( 2 would do I know, but hey what can I say its cheap and great, why not get an extra one just to have ). I need one in Ohio, a new one here, and having a 3rd to give out to other friends or family just seems like the smart thing to do. I travel a lot so leaving games all over is better then lugging them around all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So today I logged my 369th game of this played but have played it way more then that in reality. The thing about this game is that it is always different.

Wow! That is some serious replay value
Thanks for the review thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report! Makes me want to break out this game again right now. I'm excited to introduce my boys to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.