Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solitaire_variant [+] [View All]
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman works very well solo; here are the rules I use when playing alone.

Draw any one rival character figure (just the figure, not the character card) at the beginning of the game and place that character on the one of the spaces in the Outer Region; which space you choose will determine the skill level of the game. This character will move slowly toward the Crown of Command; if he reaches it before you do, you lose the game, while you win if you complete your own win conditions before he can take the Crown.

Separate the spell cards which affect other characters only from the ones that do not.

Your rival will advance 1 space directly toward the Crown of Command, using the most direct route possible through the three levels, crossing into the next region at the traditional points, every time a 1 is rolled on your movement die. He does not encounter any spaces, objects, events, followers, your character, etc.; these have no effect on him whatsoever. The board spaces for him are essentially a time tracker and nothing more. Adjust the difficulty level of the game by starting the rival figure either closer to or farther away from the Crown of Command. (Try the Crags as a possible starting space.)

In addition, your rival acquires a random spell from the deck of spells which affect other characters only on his first roll of 1. On his second roll of 1, he immediately casts that spell against you before he advances. Then repeat the cycle, with your rival alternately acquiring and then casting spells against you so that he never has more than one in his possession. Some spells will require your rival to wait for a certain circumstance in order to cast them; in these cases, the roll of 1 is not what triggers the casting of the spell. Instead, your rival casts it as soon as the listed circumstance occurs.

You choose spells only from the deck containing spells which do not only affect other characters.

You can force your rival to discard a spell he currently holds by defeating him in psychic combat. His craft is 5 and remains unchanged throughout the game. You can force your rival to immediately move backward one space by defeating him in battle. His strength is 10 and remains unchanged throughout the game.

If you are ever forced to lose a turn, roll for the rival’s movement anyway to determine if he moves.

IF PLAYING WITH THE REAPER - When a 6 is thrown on the movement die, the Reaper moves one space towards you.

IF PLAYING WITH EXPANSION MAPS - You must do battle with each final enemy on the expansion map in order to win the game. Make sure to start your rival at a different point on the map to give yourself time for this.

(Note: This variant allows for a little character combat and having to defend against spells, but I myself usually ditch these aspects of the variant and use the rival as nothing more than a time tracker with no other function, and tend to have a little more fun this way. It makes things a little less fiddly and still retains all the tension of a race to the Crown of Command. Simply ignore any spells that won't apply.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

I've explored time trackers in my own variants but take on it is quite elegant and hits the theme perfect. Being able to see the advancing tracker and knock it back is fantastic. It seems like it will add a nice level of visual tension.

I'll let you know how my test play goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckles Porkchop
msg tools
This is the best Talisman solo idea I've ever seen: simple to implement and still sticking with the general theme of the game. With the solo doom track/spellcaster adversary, the reaper, and a Toad King, the solo player has plenty to keep him worried!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
This is the best solo variant. Nice work!

I played four times this morning, and three of the games were decided in the last moment: twice I grabbed the Crown when the opponent was in the Valley of Fire, once he did it when I was in Vampire's Tower, and once I died early in the game. Lots of fun

I made a couple of minor changes, though: I give the villain the +5 Str/Cra cones (instead of capping him at 10/5 in every game), and I start him at his home site. This gives a little bit of variety.

Also, I assumed that when my character is in the Inner Region I still need to roll a die to see if the opponent will move; and that I can use fate to re-roll my movement die to try to prevent the villain from moving (hoping that I won't roll 1 again), as is the case with the Reaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirill Muravev
msg tools
sorennarnia wrote:
Talisman works very well solo; here are the rules I use when playing alone.

In addition, your rival acquires a random spell from the deck of spells which affect other characters only on his first roll of 1. On his second roll of 1, he immediately casts that spell against you before he advances. Then repeat the cycle, with your rival alternately acquiring and then casting spells against you so that he never has more than one in his possession. Some spells will require your rival to wait for a certain circumstance in order to cast them; in these cases, the roll of 1 is not what triggers the casting of the spell. Instead, your rival casts it as soon as the listed circumstance occurs.

When does rival roll this die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
windyhead wrote:
When does rival roll this die?

There's no extra roll. The rival draws a spell and moves the first time you roll 1 for your character's movement. The second time you roll 1 - he casts the spell and moves. Third time you roll 1 - he draws another spell and moves. Fourth time - he casts and moves. End so on ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sorennarnia wrote:
Separate the spell cards which affect other characters only from the ones that do not.

I'm a newcomer to the game, and thought I'd try the solo version before introducing it to others. As far as I can tell, in the base game, this gives three cards: Mesmerism, Nullify and Acquisition. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.