United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik, Scott, and Donald talk about re-playability in games

Don interviews designer Mike Selinker about his new book Kobold Guide to Board Game Design
http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/front-page10553.php
http://www.koboldquarterly.com/kqstore/index.php?main_page=p...

A long lost contributor returns

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-068-play-it-again-don

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network

Check out our new web site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik,
I didn't know you played Vampire the Eternal Struggle? Nifty!

I feel you pain about trying to find players to play with. I have made many attempt to teach people to play in my area ,but the stranglehold of Magic pretty much stifled any attempt to get people interested.

I did hold a few tourneys ,but the only players were people that drove over 1.5 hours to my location to play.

there is a text based version of Vampire online called Jyhad on Line ,it isn't pretty with just text ,but it gets the job done with you able to connect with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the interview Don nice job there.

I want to read the Kobold Guide, but it is only avalaible as an ebook, so I guess I have to wait to se if Mrs Noel brings home an ereader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
I really enjoyed the interview Don nice job there.

I want to read the Kobold Guide, but it is only avalaible as an ebook, so I guess I have to wait to se if Mrs Noel brings home an ereader

You can buy a copy for $20 plus shipping and you get a free e-copy.

I did this a few weeks ago and my copy just arrived in the mail (to the land of Oz).

I have already enjoyed reading quite a few of the pieces and I look forward to reading more in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of re-playability:

- Is what makes Carcassonne re-playable for so many people the fact that the countryside is created in the course of play? It has a mix of modular board and "look what I created", both of which were discussed as increasing re-playability on the show.

- Scott crystallized the thought on social interaction (using Diplomacy as an example) as positive factor in re-playability. The discussion also covered variable player powers as a factor. Aren't variable player powers primarily a way to encourage social interaction in many of these games? In BSG, being certain characters, and certainly being either the Admiral or the President, forces a certain type of interaction. I think there is a lot of overlap between socially interactive games and variable player powers.

In Acquire, our group seems to have hit a dominant strategy, which may not work out tactically. However, I have this nagging feeling that there is more unexplored game space. How many other games are like that? So many games, so little time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
Aren't variable player powers primarily a way to encourage social interaction in many of these games? In BSG, being certain characters, and certainly being either the Admiral or the President, forces a certain type of interaction. I think there is a lot of overlap between socially interactive games and variable player powers.

I had never thought of variable player powers in the vein of social interaction, but instead as it relates to the combinations of interactions created from variable player powers. I don't see it as innately social but a kind of mechanism that could easily facilitate cool social elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Moving my blog to sofrankly.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:

I had never thought of variable player powers in the vein of social interaction, but instead as it relates to the combinations of interactions created from variable player powers. I don't see it as innately social but a kind of mechanism that could easily facilitate cool social elements.

I would agree. In BSG, the role/power has a lot of impact on the social interaction. In Pandemic, the roles impact the game mechanically, but not in the social interaction. That's why I think there is an overlap, but not duplication. In traitor games in particular, though, I think the variable powers are there specifically to shape the social interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
kabutor wrote:

Here's a link to the print version of the Guide. Mrs. Noel can buy six or seven copies of the paperback for the price of that ereader.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that after knaves comment, but that price plus delivery to Spain is too expensive.

Can I buy the PDF and print it? I know some PDFs have restrictions, and that can be the cheap way to go.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
j-train1 wrote:
Erik,
I didn't know you played Vampire the Eternal Struggle? Nifty!

I feel you pain about trying to find players to play with. I have made many attempt to teach people to play in my area ,but the stranglehold of Magic pretty much stifled any attempt to get people interested.

Yep, although really I just played Jyhad. I actually have two long boxes full of cards and handful of decks built, just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
Can I buy the PDF and print it? I know some PDFs have restrictions, and that can be the cheap way to go.

Yes indeed. I've printed off the how I design a game flowchart so I don't know why you wouldn't be able to print off the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - great episode as always.

The link to the three games I talk about are as follow:

Mare Balticum
Água: The Water Cycle
Mirror, Mirror

As a link to the show topic - 'order from chaos' is one way I like to describe some games that I find quite replayable - where the initial situation may be quite chaotic or random, or the game itself may be quite random - but the players must, turn by turn, wrest some level of control from what opportunities they have. Varied set-ups, drafting, force building etc. are all mechanisms that can be used to achieve this factor.

Great discussion as always!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bates

Oregon
msg tools
Thank you Scott for mentioning the game of Go. It is my favorite game, and I'm glad to see it get some love. Do you play online? I recommend Dragon Go Server for some great turn based play. I'm on there as rbates if you're interested in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merran Furness
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you gentlemen, great episode as always; your podcast has rapidly become a favourite

Out of curiosity, what PnP game caused Eric to gouge his dining table? and for what purpose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have missed something in the past... what is "Puerto Rico poo poo heads" referring to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bluefroggirl wrote:
Thank you gentlemen, great episode as always; your podcast has rapidly become a favourite

Out of curiosity, what PnP game caused Eric to gouge his dining table? and for what purpose?

I was cutting out the counters to King of the Tabletop. I had put something underneath but it clearly wasn't thick enough.

The frustrating part is that I know better and I had the proper materials close at hand. cry

Learn from my fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wieman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott had an immensely entertaining drunken rant about Puerto Rico poo-poo heads on an episode quite a while ago. This was in response to a suboptimal experience with players who were upset with him for not playing "the right way", that is, not choosing the roles they had banked on him choosing.

If someone knows the episode number, it's worth going back and listening to it - all of Scott's rants should be similarly enhanced with slurring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merran Furness
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholeologist wrote:
all of Scott's rants should be similarly enhanced with slurring.

Agreed!

In addition, a compilation of Scott rants' would be brilliant - Christmas gift ideas anyone??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.