Dominion: Hinterlands» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

In your deck, Nomad Camp is just a Woodcutter with a $4 in the corner. When you gain it though, it goes on your deck. Bam! Instant Woodcutter.

The "when-gain" mechanic carries with it the promise that turns 1-2 will no longer be that familiar place where everyone gets a 3/4 or 4/3 or 2/5 or 5/2. Turn one you buy Nomad Camp. Turn two you might have $5! You also might have $4, in which case, do you buy another Nomad Camp? Or maybe there's a $2 you want two of - a 4/2+2 opening. Of course Nomad Camp's 4/5 opening isn't really a 4/5, since the 4 is always Nomad Camp. If you think of Nomad Camp as really a Woodcutter after that, it's a 3/5 opening, or more precisely, a Woodcutter/5 opening. Anyway it's something different.

Later in the game you can buy Nomad Camp anytime you would really like a Woodcutter next turn. It's nice when you're buying Provinces but only have $4 this turn; next turn you have a better shot at $8, or hey, maybe more, with the +buy to go with it.

Fool's Gold meanwhile is the kind of card you might want two of on turn two. A Fool's Gold-based economy can rake in the cash, provided you can get rid of your Coppers and/or draw extra cards. One is only worth $1, but two together are $5, and three are $9. Other quantities are left as an exercise for the reader.

Fool's Gold can also turn into Gold in the late game. You may not even want to do this when you're going all-out for Fool's Golds, but some games you just picked one up randomly when you had $2, or you got some to stop other players from getting all of them, or you got some and then realized, wait a minute, I do not have what I need to make this work. And then you wait patiently for someone to buy a Province, and cash in. The Gold you gain goes right on your deck, so you even have a chance to draw it before the game's over.

Tomorrow is Saturday, but I will have cards anyway, I don't know why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Getting more and more excited for Hinterlands!

These are awesome, as were the two in the first preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward patiently to the Victory/Reaction. The only question is how long I will wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
... or a token/reaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how opening Fool's Gold/Chapel would be. Are there any other decent $2/$2 openings?

Turns 3/4 - buy a second Fool's Gold and trash 3-4 Copper/Estates. Turns 5/6 - buy one or two more Fool's Gold and trash 2-4 more Copper/Estates.

In all successive turns, buy Fool's Gold with < $8 if still available, Gold with $6-7 if there are no more Fool's Gold, and Provinces with $8+.

Seems like it could potentially be faster than Chapel-ing to buy a few Silver and then Gold and Provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the nomads have "on top of your deck" but the fools have "on your deck"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senseless wrote:

...senseless, eh?

P'Tang went my peashooter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bpp complete
msg tools
gf1024 wrote:
edit: also, why not show Governor the next day since the name leaked anyway or do you have a strict schedule with this?

That was fairly recent, no? If they were using it for playtesting, then it is highly unlikely that it's present in this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Blooki
msg tools
Beaveman wrote:
I wonder how opening Fool's Gold/Chapel would be. Are there any other decent $2/$2 openings?

Pawn/Chapel does OK on Peddler boards that don't have much else going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy London
Australia
Nollamara (Perth)
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Free cider juice remedied dim river duck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moat, Secret Chamber, Watchtower, Horsetraders, Trader, Fool's Gold...

Can't wait to play an all reactions game!

If we include Lighthouse, we're up to 7 - nearly there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
senseless wrote:

Why does Bureaucrat say it both ways, that's what I'd like to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
senseless wrote:

Why does Bureaucrat say it both ways, that's what I'd like to know.

Because it's thematic. Who expects bureaucrats to be consistent? They always issue confusing paperwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezzomaniac wrote:
Moat, Secret Chamber, Watchtower, Horsetraders, Trader, Fool's Gold...

Can't wait to play an all reactions game!

If we include Lighthouse, we're up to 7 - nearly there!

Nah - What I'M looking forward to is a 5 attack, 5 reaction game!

...(sound of internal mental gears grinding)

Hey! I can do that already! MWAHAHAH!!!!

Montebanc (no relation, but you can *snap* me in and *snap* me out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Trader interact with Fool's Gold? I suppose it follows the "player order starting from the player whose turn it is" rule?

(1) Player A buys a Province. He reveals a Trader, turns that into a Silver. (I don't know, Hoard in a Colony game, maybe?) Since Player A did not really gain a Province, Player B may not trash Fool's Gold from hand?

(2) Player A buys a Province. He has a Trader in hand, but chooses not to reveal it. Player B trashes 2 Fool's Golds. Player A may not now reveal Trader and gain a Silver instead of a Province?

(3) Player A plays an Ambassador, reveals a Province (but does not return it to the Supply), causing Player B to gain a Province from the supply, Player A trashes a Fool's Gold. Player B can now reveal Trader and gain a Silver instead of a Province, but this does not stop Player A from trashing Fool's Gold and gaining a Gold on the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NtNScissors wrote:
How does Trader interact with Fool's Gold?

Trader and Fool's Gold react to two different events: Trader reacts to "when you would gain ..."; Fool's Gold reacts to "when someone gains ...".

In the Preview #1 thread, Donald X. clarified the timing of the Trader: it is activated just before the gained card is "really gained" (hits the discard pile). On the other hand, I would say that it's pretty clear that a reaction like "when someone gains ..." is only activated when the "gaining" is completed. (Just imagine a card like "when someone gains a card, you also gain that card"; it seems intuitive that you cannot use this to steal a card from under an opponent's nose when there's just 1 copy left in the supply.)

So the full procedure of "gaining a card" seems to be:
1) Check which cards are eligible to be gained (taking into account availability, available money (when buying), or restrictions from the card that made you gain a card).
2) Choose one of the eligible cards.
3) If you chose a card, perform any "when you would gain" effects.
4) Take chosen card (from supply by default) and put it on your discard pile (by default).
5) If you took a card, perform any "when you gain" effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, another hybrid card.

I love these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
NtNScissors wrote:
How does Trader interact with Fool's Gold?

Trader and Fool's Gold react to two different events: Trader reacts to "when you would gain ..."; Fool's Gold reacts to "when someone gains ...".

In the Preview #1 thread, Donald X. clarified the timing of the Trader: it is activated just before the gained card is "really gained" (hits the discard pile). On the other hand, I would say that it's pretty clear that a reaction like "when someone gains ..." is only activated when the "gaining" is completed. (Just imagine a card like "when someone gains a card, you also gain that card"; it seems intuitive that you cannot use this to steal a card from under an opponent's nose when there's just 1 copy left in the supply.)

So the full procedure of "gaining a card" seems to be:
1) Check which cards are eligible to be gained (taking into account availability, available money (when buying), or restrictions from the card that made you gain a card).
2) Choose one of the eligible cards.
3) If you chose a card, perform any "when you would gain" effects.
4) Take chosen card (from supply by default) and put it on your discard pile (by default).
5) If you took a card, perform any "when you gain" effects.

Since Watchtower reacts to "gain" and not "would gain", it seems strange.

But assuming this is correct, then how does Fool's Gold interact with Watchtower? If "someone" trashes his Province upon gaining, am I still free to trash Fool's Gold? Conversely, if I trash my Fool's Gold, is "someone" still free to trash his Province? What's the strict ordering here, if I care sufficiently about order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NtNScissors wrote:
Since Watchtower reacts to "gain" and not "would gain", it seems strange.

Watchtower moves a gained card to a different location; it can only do that after the card was gained. And the card still counts as gained, even if Watchtower moves it to the trash.

Quote:
But assuming this is correct, then how does Fool's Gold interact with Watchtower? If "someone" trashes his Province upon gaining, am I still free to trash Fool's Gold? Conversely, if I trash my Fool's Gold, is "someone" still free to trash his Province?

Of course. He gained it, then trashed it. Fool's Gold reacts to the gaining, and ignores the trashing.

Quote:
What's the strict ordering here, if I care sufficiently about order?

When several cards are revealed as a reaction to the same event, each player, in turn order, performs their own cards in an order of their choice. That has been a standard rule of Dominion since the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I love the artwork for Fool's Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone live near Doug Z and can go around and wake him up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To be free, one must give up a little part of oneself
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm curious: all the other reactions so far have been Action-Reaction. Since Fool's Gold is a Treasure-Reaction (no Action), does it only count as a Treasure for the purposes of, say, Tribute?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StatSig wrote:
So, I'm curious: all the other reactions so far have been Action-Reaction. Since Fool's Gold is a Treasure-Reaction (no Action), does it only count as a Treasure for the purposes of, say, Tribute?

It counts as a Treasure for the purposes of Tribute since Tribute does not care about Reacion cards. It also counts as Treasure for the purposes of you play it during your buy phase and it doesn't cost an Action to play. Just like all other Treasure cards. It is also a Reaction card because it has an additional effect if you reveal it in reaction to some other specified event happening. Just like all other Reaction cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To be free, one must give up a little part of oneself
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thisisnotasmile wrote:
StatSig wrote:

It counts as a Treasure for the purposes of Tribute since Tribute does not care about Reacion cards. It also counts as Treasure for the purposes of you play it during your buy phase and it doesn't cost an Action to play. Just like all other Treasure cards. It is also a Reaction card because it has an additional effect if you reveal it in reaction to some other specified event happening. Just like all other Reaction cards.

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure that was the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome! Finally something to change the second turn of the game. :) And fool's gold is rather neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Z
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thisisnotasmile wrote:
Anyone live near Doug Z and can go around and wake him up?

They were supposed to go up automatically, but I accidentally set the timer to 12:15pm instead of 12:15am. Anyway, they're up now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.