Subject: Eclipse Official FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Eclipse [+] [View All]
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse
FAQ & Errata

21 May 2013

FAQ

Components

Q: What is the Ship Part Tile breakdown?
A: There is a total of 154 tiles, regardless of the printing. The breakdown is:

Ion Cannon 6
Plasma Cannon 18
Antimatter Cannon 10
Plasma Missile 14
Hull 6
Improved Hull 18
Nuclear Drive 4
Fusion Drive 8
Tachyon Drive 8
Electron Computer 6
Positron Computer 8
Gluon Computer 8
Nuclear Source 6
Fusion Source 12
Tachyon Source 8
Gauss Shield 7
Phase Shield 7

Q: What is the Technology Tile breakdown?
A: There is a total of 96 tiles, regardless of the printing. The breakdown is:

Cost 2/2, 4/3 and 6/4: 5 of each Technology
Cost 8/5 and 10/6: 4 of each Technology
Cost 12/6, 14/7 and 16/8: 3 of each Technology

General

Q: What happens if I want to place a Population Cube on a hex and that Population Track has been emptied? Can I take the cube from another track?
A: No.

Q: Can I place both one Orbital and one Monolith in one hex?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the GCDS an Ancient? Can the Descendants of Draco place an Influence Disc in the central hex if the GCDS is still there?
A: No, and no.

Action Phase

Q: If I use the Influence action to pick up an Influence Disc from a hex and place it back to the same hex, does it take one or two moves?
A: Two moves. You have to move it from the hex to your Influence Track or another hex, and then move it back to the hex.

Q: Can Colony Ships be used when passing and/or when continuing to pass?

Combat Phase

Q: Where do retreating Ships go if a battle ends before they get their next turn -- the hex of the battle or the hex they were retreating to?
A: As the battle is over before the Ships actually leave the hex, they will stay on the hex after the battle.

Q: Can diplomatic relations be established immediately after the Combat Phase but before the Upkeep Phase?

---------------------------------------------

Difference between printings

The second printing corrects the errors and clarifies some rules of the first printing, listed below. You can tell the difference between first and second printing from the box and rulebook cover -- the blue Hydran alien is in the first and the red Eridani in the later printings.

The third and later printing Starbases have coloured edges. The cover is the same as the second printing.

---------------------------------------------

Errata and clarifications for the first printing

Components

Starbases: Due to a production error, the main punch sheets of the first edition do not contain blue Starbases (but instead contain four extra green ones). They are provided as a separate sheet with the game.

Monolith/Orbitals: these are correct on the punch sheets. Unfortunately the rule book lists a wrong amount on page 3. There should be 22 Monolith/Orbital tiles. Originally there were a bit more, but these are definitely enough for the game purposes, so we decided to include some blanks instead, for players' own creations and such.

Reputation Tiles: the VP distribution on page 21 of the rule book is slightly wrong. There are 32 Reputation tiles in the game, and the distribution is 12x1VP, 9x2VP, 7x3VP and 4x4VP. The blank tile is intentional, and included to give players a possibility to tweak the game.

Ship Part Tiles: there are 17 different Ship Part Tiles, not 18 as the component list on page 3 of the rule book states.

Page 6, Component limitations: Orbital / Monolith tiles are also unlimited.

Page 10, Influence: The rules state that during the Influence action you can place an Influence Disc to a hex that does not contain an Influence Disc or an enemy Ship and is adjacent to a hex where you have a disc or a Ship. You may also place the disc in the hex itself.

Page 14, Reaction: The description of the Upgrade action should also state that you may return as many Ship Parts as you want, just as with a normal Upgrade action.

Page 16, Upgrade: "Plasma Cannon” should read "Ion Cannon". The illustration is correct.

Page 21, Influencing hexes: The Influence Discs are placed at the end of the Combat Phase. A better wording for this chapter would be: "At the end of the Combat Phase, if you have at least one Ship in a hex that has no population, remove the previous controller’s Influence Disc (returning it to his Influence Track). After this, you may place your own Influence Disc there. Also, if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there."

Page 22, Combat example: In the last chapter, "Plasma Cannon" should read "Ion Cannon" and vice versa.

Page 24, Colony Ships: This chapter should read as follows: "First, you may activate one or more of your remaining Colony Ships (see Colony Ships on page 8) and move Population Cubes to hexes. Contrary to the Action Phase, you may not move cubes to hexes containing enemy Ships".

FAQ for the first printing

These questions are incorporated in the second printing rulebook.

General

Q: What happens if I cannot return a Population cube to a track because it is full? This might occur if you return cubes from grey squares to different tracks than where they originally came from.
A: The track may be filled completely, so that no number is visible. This means that you do not have any production of that Resource. If a track is full and you still need to return cubes to it, the cubes must go to any other track(s).

Q: Is it ever possible to voluntarily remove population cubes from the board without giving up the control of the entire hex?
A: No. It can be done with the Influence action, though, by first removing the disc and the cubes from the hex and then returning the disc back to the hex.

Q: What happens if the extra Influence Discs acquired through the Advanced Robotics and Quantum Grid Technologies do not fit on the Influence Track?
A: Stack the extra discs on top of the disc on the rightmost space of the Influence Track. Note that this is very unlikely to happen.

Q: Why are there places for five Ambassador Tiles on the Terran Player Board, when you only have (and can thus receive) three tiles?
A: At the moment there is indeed really need for only three places. You can rearrange the Ambassador and Reputation Tiles at any time if needed.

Q: If a player is eliminated from the game as a result of combat but he decides to continue playing, can he get the Starting Player marker?

Q: If a player is eliminated, does this affect the amount of Technology Tiles drawn in the Cleanup Phase?

Action Phase

Q: Is the hex tile you explore open information before you choose to place or discard it? What about the discard piles?
A: The tile you explore is turned face up so that all players see it (and may give you advice, "Carcassonne-style"). The discard piles are face up and open information.

Q: May I select the Influence action just to turn my Colony Ships face up, without moving any of my Influence Discs?
A: Yes. All actions are entirely voluntary, and you may execute only a part of an action if you wish.

Q: Can the Wormhole Generator be used to form Diplomatic relations?
A: No. You need a full printed Wormhole.

Q: Using the Influence action, I can move an Influence Disc from a hex to its neighbor through a Wormhole connection. May I move the Disc that created this connection in the first place?
A: No. If you move the disc, there is no longer a connection.

Q: How does pinning work? Are Ships only pinned/pinning if they move to a hex? What if they were built there? What about if there are multiple players or Ancients in the hex?
A: They are pinned/pinning regardless of whether they move to or from the hex. If there are multiple players, you add up all the opposing Ships and compare that to the number of your Ships. So for example, if you have four Ships in a hex containing two Ships from one player, one Ship from another and one Ancient Ship, all of your Ships are pinned. You need to get one more Ship in the hex to be able to move one Ship out.

Q: When using the Ancient Technology Discovery Tile benefit, do I apply my Technology discounts when determining which Technology is the cheapest?
A: No. Just look at the normal Technology cost.

Combat Phase

Q: Aren’t there other possible scenarios where a stalemate may happen? For example, when one of the combatants has only Missiles and the other has lots of Hull parts?
A: Indeed. The wording on page 20 could be worded better. A better way to put it is ”this may only happen when no Ship in a battle is armed with a Cannon”.

Q: Can retreating ships use the Wormhole Generator?
A: Yes. It is in effect all the time.

Q: If the Ancients cannot destroy a Ship, which Ship do I assign the damage to?
A: If the Ancients cannot destroy any Ships, the dice should be assigned to inflict as much damage to your Ships as possible, the largest possible first. Assign the damage to one Ship.

Q: If all of my ships try to retreat but are all destroyed while doing so, do I get the Reputation Tile for taking part in a battle?
A: No. Your ships are considered to have retreated as soon as you decide to retreat them.

Upkeep Phase

Q: During Upkeep Phase, when may I remove Influence Discs from my hexes?
A: Only when you do not have enough Money (produced in this Upkeep, plus your Storage) to pay for the Upkeep. Then you may remove Discs until the Upkeep cost is low enough. Note that if you remove a disc from a hex, the Population cubes are immediately returned to your Production tracks, which may also reduce your Money production.

Alien species

Q: May the Descendants of Draco have ships in hexes with Ancient ships?
A: Yes. They may move their ships to (and through) the hex freely. Also, if they have an Influence Disc there, they may build new ships in the hex.

Q: If the Ancient Ships are destroyed from a Descendants controlled hex but the Descendants still control the hex, can they take the Discovery Tile?
A: The Discovery Tiles can only be taken when placing the Influence Disc. So you'll first have to remove the disc with the Influence action and then place it again.

Q: When the Planta explore, can they explore a hex, place an Influence Disc on it, and then explore another hex adjacent to the one they just took control of?

Q: In the Setup Phase, Does the Hydran Progress also place a Population Cube on the Advanced Science square?

Q: Do I have to use the Descendants' or Planta's Explore ability? If not, when may I choose whether to use it or not?
A: You don't have to draw two hexes with the Descendants, or Explore two times with Planta. You can decide after seeing the first hex.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant work, thank you so much!

I can't wait to get my copy of Eclipse coming friday at Essen 2011...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom tos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Due to an unfortunate production error, the main punch sheets of the first edition do not contain blue Starbases.

Shock! surprise
Quote:
They are provided as a separate sheet with the game.

Phew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Romtos wrote:
Shock! surprise Phew.

My sentiments exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
Page 16, Upgrade: “Plasma Cannon” should read “Ion Cannon”. The illustration is correct.

I believe you also got them mixed up at the bottom of page 22.
Quote:
Vernor will roll one yellow die for the Plasma Cannon in
each Interceptor, hitting either of Iain’s Ships with a roll of
6, and one orange die for the Ion Cannon in the Cruiser,
hitting either Ship with a roll of 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
I believe you also got them mixed up at the bottom of page 22.

I most certainly did, thanks for pointing that out. Errata updated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:

Errata and clarifications

General: Due to an unfortunate production error, the main punch sheets of the first edition do not contain blue Starbases. They are provided as a separate sheet with the game.

I noticed a few more problems after unboxing my copy:

1) One of the VP tiles is blank. This is meant to be a 4-point VP tile.

2) The components list says there should be 27 Orbital/Monolith tiles. Only 22 were provided.

For those of you wondering, yes, I received a copy of the game today. This explains it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Jotora wrote:
2) The components list says there should be 27 Orbital/Monolith tiles. Only 22 were provided.

Thanks for pointing these out! A few clarifications (also posted in your blog thread and updated above):

Monolith/Orbitals: these are correct on the punch sheets. Unfortunately the rule book lists a wrong amount. There should be 22 Monolith/Orbital tiles. Originally there were a bit more, but these are definitely enough for the game purposes, so we decided to put some blanks instead, just in case people want to do their own creations and such.

Reputation Tiles: the VP distribution on page 21 of the rule book is slightly wrong. There are 32 Reputation tiles in the game, and the distribution is 12x1VP, 9x2VP, 7x3VP and 4x4VP. The blank tile is intentional, again to give you a possibility to tweak the game a bit (so if you prefer the distribution listed on the rule book, feel free to use a black Sharpie and fix that!).

Unfortunate mistakes, but there you go -- these shouldn't affect the game play anyhow. (I am, however, kicking myself a bit over here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
Jotora wrote:

Thanks for pointing these out! A few clarifications (also posted in your blog thread and updated above):

Monolith/Orbitals: these are correct on the punch sheets. Unfortunately the rule book lists a wrong amount. There should be 22 Monolith/Orbital tiles. Originally there were a bit more, but these are definitely enough for the game purposes, so we decided to put some blanks instead, just in case people want to do their own creations and such.

Reputation Tiles: the VP distribution on page 21 of the rule book is slightly wrong. There are 32 Reputation tiles in the game, and the distribution is 12x1VP, 9x2VP, 7x3VP and 4x4VP. The blank tile is intentional, again to give you a possibility to tweak the game a bit (so if you prefer the distribution listed on the rule book, feel free to use a black Sharpie and fix that!).

Unfortunate mistakes, but there you go -- these shouldn't affect the game play anyhow. (I am, however, kicking myself a bit over here.)
Oh, I see. I had a feeling these might be rulebook typos, but leaned towards the sheets being wrong because of, well, the blue Starbases issue. Didn't concern me as there are so many additional components to use. Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

I could've sworn I only counted 11 1VP tiles though, not 12. I'll get back to you on that (probably Friday as I'm heading to a friend's band's CD release party tonight).

EDIT: There are indeed 12 1VP tiles. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmb
If the faq and errata can be put an a DIN4 page, then that would be the average for a more complex game ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on p3, Game Components, it says:
TILES 96 Technology Tiles (24 different), 154
Ship Part Tiles (18 different)

but I only count 17 different Ship Part Tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobi wrote:

That's true, there are 17 (5 basic + 12 tech-related) Ship Parts. Unless of course you count "empty unupgraded space" as a Ship Part.. (and naturally there are no tiles for those!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobi wrote:

Well counted, you're absolutely right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question: After combat where i wiped all cubes from my enemy i can immediatly place an influence disc. Can i also immediatly colonize the planets? I guess not, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can.

Technically this happens after the Combat Phase, in the beginning of the Upkeep Phase. See page 24 of the rules: "Colony Ships: First, you may activate one or more of your remaining Colony Ships (see Colony Ships on page 8) and move Population Cubes to hexes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
Starbases: Due to a production error, the main punch sheets of the first edition do not contain blue Starbases. They are provided as a separate sheet with the game.

What is about the boxes bought in Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
hoshbad wrote:
kilgore wrote:
Starbases: Due to a production error, the main punch sheets of the first edition do not contain blue Starbases. They are provided as a separate sheet with the game.

What is about the boxes bought in Essen?

This applies to them as well. The replacement sheet should be included with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This applies to them as well. The replacement sheet should be included with the game.
Yes, they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the descendants of draco have ships in sectors with ancient ships? We played it last night that they can, but i am not sure if we played it correct.

Also in a space battle where three or more parties are present, are damaged ships repaired at the end of each individual battle or only at the end after all battles are resolved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelteel wrote:
Can the descendants of draco have ships in sectors with ancient ships? We played it last night that they can, but i am not sure if we played it correct.

They can, you played it correct. This is implied in the rules on page 27, but should in retrospect be worded better..

Quote:
Also in a space battle where three or more parties are present, are damaged ships repaired at the end of each individual battle or only at the end after all battles are resolved?

At the end of the Combat Phase, after all battles have been resolved -- see "Repair Damage" on page 21 of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you are fast in answering questions. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Gibson
Lesotho
Maseru
msg tools
Will play any game... especially for wine or espresso.
badge
An Australian in Africa.
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
Components

Monolith/Orbitals: these are correct on the punch sheets. Unfortunately the rule book lists a wrong amount on page 3. There should be 22 Monolith/Orbital tiles. Originally there were a bit more, but these are definitely enough for the game purposes, so we decided to include some blanks instead, for players' own creations and such.

As a consequence of the production error, should I expect to have extra green starbases? I seem to have extras....

Actually, nevermind. Your blog post points out there are extra greens. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
djlg wrote:
Actually, nevermind. Your blog post points out there are extra greens. modest

No problem! I also updated that to first post just now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Q: Is it ever possible to voluntarily remove population squares from the board without giving up the control of the entire hex?
A: It is possible with the Influence action, but not otherwise.

Does this mean I can use the influence action to remove cubes, or do you simply mean I can remove the disc from the sector (and thus remove the cubes) then put the disc back again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to remove the disc first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.