Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I understand correctly that each player may upgrade only one city to a metropolis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I didn't actually see in the rules where it specified, but considering there is only 6 of them, and only 4 are used for a 3-4 player game, that is the assumption that I would make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my thinking, but it's not clear whether each player is limited to one or whether there are six available (for 5/6 players), and one player could use them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree a bit of clarity would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Hansen
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We will include this clarification in the ongoing FAQ.

All metropolises are available to all players.
One player can build multiple metropolises, but once all four have been built in a 3-4 player game (six in 5-6 player), the pool is exhausted.

We hope you enjoy the scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthHansen wrote:
We will include this clarification in the ongoing FAQ.

All metropolises are available to all players.
One player can build multiple metropolises, but once all four have been built in a 3-4 player game (six in 5-6 player), the pool is exhausted.

We hope you enjoy the scenario!

Wow, thanks for that. I printed the print-and-play, and the scenario looks great. It is amazing to get the whole thing to look at and consider. I plan to purchase the commercial version when it is available.

One more thought about the scenario: I have a minor concern that it may be easy for someone who is obviously losing the game to cause the final disaster that ends the game with no winner. That's like a cheap shot, seems to me. I am thinking that we may create a house rule that causes some other kind of penalty, probably against the person who triggers the disaster, such as reducing their victory point total, and then counting the winner as the person with the most victory points at that time.

I understand the intent, from an environmental point of view, and I agree with the lesson it teaches. But, for family gaming, we would prefer to have a more satisfactory finish to all our games. That shouldn't impact anyone else playing this scenario, and I heartily congratulate everyone involved in its development and production. I especially appreciate the fact that a 5/6 player version was included. We rarely play any game with fewer than 5 players, so this meets our needs very well.

We have often modified game rules or end-of-game conditions, to match our preferences in gaming. We even have a 7-player version of Settlers, because we often play with that many and prefer to not split up. This requires several modifications, including the initial placement of settlements and the number of victory points required to win. I created another set of roads, settlements, and cities for the 7th player, too.

The original Settlers game has been a favorite in our family for many years, and we have enjoyed the Seafarers game also. But, we usually return to the original design for most game sessions. Over the years, we have added many favorites to our game list, including Carcassonne, Dominion, and 7 Wonders (among dozens of others), but I think Settlers will always be our long-time (perhaps all-time) favorite family game.

Thank you again for the quick and informative response to my question. And thanks again for the way in which the scenario was made available in advance of commercial release. The scenario is very clever and appropriate, and we look forward to trying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Assadourian
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Yes, sometimes a player who is out of the race may try to sabotage the game for all players (something that happens in real life too). And while that can definitely be frustrating, I've also seen players plan for that, coming to agreement to isolate the destructive player by either targeting their oil field with the robber, not trading with them, or even agreeing to work together to sequester the remaining oil in the game so that there is not enough in the supply to cause a disaster. It was important to include this mechanic in the scenario both because the danger of environmental collapse is a real possibility we face (and this is an educational scenario), but also because it brings a new level of cooperation and challenge to Catan. But if you come up with alternative rules to shift this mechanic, we look forward to hearing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.