Subject: Price of the Citadel paints in the 80's and 90's??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Hyvönen
Finland
MASKU
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was claiming in our local forum that Citadel paints were 20 ml back in hte "golden years". And their costs was only 2 mk= 0,35 euro/pot.

If I remember correctly it would mean that they were costing £0.2 /pot in the UK. In 1989 or so.

Am I right or has my memory tricked me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the 80's, but I just pulled out my 17.5 ml GW paints purchased in the early/mid 90's (hex bottle with flip top lid), and they still have the $1.99 price tag on them. Still going strong too. There was a style before this one that was a tapered cylindrical pot with a flip top lid, but that pre-dates my use of GW paints (I want to say those were 18 ml, but I have no first hand experience to claim that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming in Greater Anchorage area, Alaska since 1978. Looking for Indy-willing RPG players in Eagle River (or willing to drive to Eagle River). Geekmail me if interested.
badge
Yes, this really is what I looked like when I uploaded that avatar. Not that it's quite current anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally had to pitch the last of my flip-lid pots 10 years ago.

The box of 10x 30 ml flip-lid pots was $10 in the late 1980's. It was closer to $15 in the early 90's. Two different color sets - one for chaos, one for non-chaos. I don't recall them being sold individually, only in the boxes.

New stuff is also a very different formula - the old stuff set off latex allergies. New stuff (early 90's onward) doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Hyvönen
Finland
MASKU
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aramis wrote:

The box of 10x 30 ml flip-lid pots was $10 in the late 1980's. It was closer to $15 in the early 90's. Two different color sets - one for chaos, one for non-chaos. I don't recall them being sold individually, only in the boxes.

New stuff is also a very different formula - the old stuff set off latex allergies. New stuff (early 90's onward) doesn't.

I remember those. They were a bit more expensive than if bought individually. Though they were 30ml and not 20 ml.

Any UK geeks? Eller Svensk? Tai Suomalaisia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming in Greater Anchorage area, Alaska since 1978. Looking for Indy-willing RPG players in Eagle River (or willing to drive to Eagle River). Geekmail me if interested.
badge
Yes, this really is what I looked like when I uploaded that avatar. Not that it's quite current anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
kiintins wrote:
aramis wrote:

I remember those. They were a bit more expensive than if bought individually. Though they were 30ml and not 20 ml.

Any UK geeks? Eller Svensk? Tai Suomalaisia?

I mentioned the size... They were REALLY awesomely opaque. And very tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought citadel paints from Lingards in Colchester in the late 80's/early 90's and they certainly weren't 20p a pop. As a student I found them quite expensive. My memory's not what it used to be, but if I had to guess I'd say 99p each. With inflation etc they were probably the equivalent price that they are now.

I have to say that they lasted really well. I've replaced them with Vallejo paints now, but several of the citadel paints that I bought 20 years ago were still good enough that I could give them to my son for him to practice with.

Edit: just checked, he still has them. Plastic pots, slightly tapering, with white flip top lid, the style just before the sturdy hexagonal pots. The size printed on the label is 0.68 fl oz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember paying $1 a pot in 89 or so. I know that the Ultramarine Blue pot I bought at the time is still usable. I know that the company that made those early paints for GW is still and you can still order from them but I've forgotten their name, and can't find it right now.

Love those old paint containers. Didn't have nearly the leaking issues that the Hexagonal ones had (the "Bolter shell" ones were even worse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Smith
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badger242 wrote:
I remember paying $1 a pot in 89 or so. I know that the Ultramarine Blue pot I bought at the time is still usable. I know that the company that made those early paints for GW is still and you can still order from them but I've forgotten their name, and can't find it right now.

Love those old paint containers. Didn't have nearly the leaking issues that the Hexagonal ones had (the "Bolter shell" ones were even worse).

I believe this is the company you are thinking of http://www.coatdarms.com/coat_darms/paintcolours.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United Kingdom
Lymm
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember purchasing a couple of sets (well my dad did) of paints with the white tops in the early 90s to paint some heroquest miniatures and a remember thinking at the time the prices were quite steep.

Since I purchased a quite a few hexagonal pots and when I cam dusted off my paints recently it was the hexagonal 'newer' paints which had dried up and not the older paint.

One thing that did strike me when looking at purchasing new pots of paint from GW was the size of them, they are tiny! and expensive.

The GW staff I was talking to commented that although tiny the quality of the paint was much better than the hexagonal versions. What are your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.