1 Posts

Hey, That's My Fish!» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Some simple strategy advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There's not much in the stategy sections of the Hey, That's My Fish! forum, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents...

The typical strategies people follow seem to fall into this pattern:

First game or two: chase the 3-point tiles first.

Later games: Try to block off territories with lots of fish.

My experience is that a lot of people stop there and think they've taken the strategy as far as it goes.

My number one golden rule: ensure your penguins have more freedom than your opponent's.

By freedom I mean being able to move to as many different positions is as many different directions as possible. The more your penguins can move the harder it is for your opponent to block you. Each time you move make sure you look at where you are moving from as much as where you are moving to. Each move reduces the movement of both players by taking a tile from the board, it's important that this hurts your opponent more than it hurts you.

By all means attempt to secure areas of fish, but all too often I see opponents claimng a block of 10-12 fish but leaving their remaining penguins in a bad position to claim the rest of the board. They move a penguin to capture a dozen fish but leave behind an area in which they would have claimed 8 or more without needing much action.

Also don't be afraid to move away from your claimed territory leaving it unavailable to either player. Picking up 7 fish that your opponent can still reach is better than holding a block of 12 that he/she cannot reach.

Final note: The overwhelming majority of my games are two-player. The strategy for 3-4 players is different and I don't claim my advice is valid for 3-4 player games.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.