$10.00
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the base game and both expansions. Is there anything the 2nd Edition adds that's not included either of the expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
I own the base game and both expansions. Is there anything the 2nd Edition adds that's not included either of the expansions?

It adds balancing for 3,4,and 5 player games by putting neutral armies in the unplayed houses' areas (or blocking them off completely).
It also adds the Tides of Battle deck which introduces an element of controlled chaos into battle results (modifiers to strength, swords, or castles). The Valyrian Steel Blade can be used to redraw this card if the result is undesirable.
Garrisons are now only specific to home territories and just add a fixed amount to defense.
House cards are likely now a blend of good ideas from the original, CoK, and SoS decks.

All other "new" aspects are either rules changes which do not require new components, or components from the expansions which you'd already have. However, it is unknown if the House Cards, Wildling Attack Cards, Start Cards, or Event Decks are the same between versions (likely not).

I would say the new version ignores more of the expansions than it includes, but in a good way in that it keeps the most vital parts (ports, siege engines, Wildling Attack deck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang it. I guess I'll buy this version too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does this replace the expansions or would you buy the second edition and the expansions to the first one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
It's not easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the game as well, and I don't really see the need for 1st ed.expansions. Most of the appealing elements have been included. Either completely or slightly changed.

I have no doubt that 2nd ed. will eventually get an expansion of its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still can't believe I bought the first edition, with both expansions, at a flea market two days before they announced second edition. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Sawicki
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I still can't believe I bought the first edition, with both expansions, at a flea market two days before they announced second edition. shake

yeah... bad luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Did you pay $100 per expansion like I did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Did you pay $100 per expansion like I did?

No, I got lucky and paid only $100 for the whole shebang. And that was the dude's asking price, it was really weird.

It was like he knew....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monsieur Eggplant
Denmark
Tilst
Aarhus
flag msg tools
I am kind of annoyed that they released this second edition of the game, when I already own the first edition + an expansion. Now I likely can't get rid of them, and this new edition just looks much, much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.