Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose A plays a Possession, so he controls B's turn.

On B's turn. A chooses that B play a Remodel, trashing a Silver. Because of Possession, the Silver is not trashed, it is set aside.

Can B now gain a card worth up to 5 (which will then actually be gained by A)?

I would previously have thought so, but A recent post by Donald suggests that no card is gained by anyone, because Remodel says "Gain a card gaining up to $2 more than the trashed card", and there is no trashed card.

Note that Upgrade works fine, because Upgrade says "Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that costs exactly $1 more than it", and "it" refers to the card you attempted to trash, whether or not it in fact ended up getting trashed.

If my interpretation is correct, Isotropic gets this wrong:
Isotropic log wrote:
— only a test's turn (possessed by you) —
You play a Remodel.
only a test plays a Remodel.
... You trash a Copper.
... trashing a Copper.
... You gain a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... ... another test gains the Chapel.
... ... You gain the Chapel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
and there is no trashed card.

This is the part you have wrong.

Possession wrote:
...any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn.

So the card that Remodel chooses is trashed, and then set aside, so Isotropic has it right.

But that's just from the card text, hopefully Possession's FAQ doesn't muddy this up with a different wording.

-edit for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
I think the reason why isotropic is still right is the language on Possession. It says:

"any cards of his that are trashed are set aside and returned to his discard pile at end of turn."

The key is that the cards are trashed, but then get immediately set aside. This is different from the language in the previous sentence on Possession, and on Trader, which say "any time someone would gain, something else happens instead".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right. If I use remodel on a possessed turn, the chosen card is moved first from the possessed player's hand to the trash, and from there to the "set-aside" area. Remodel cannot find this card, because it expects to find it in the trash, and it isn't there. But this only means that Remodel couldn't move the card, and that's not what it's trying to do; it's just trying to determine the cost of the card, and we still know what card is being referred to, so we know its cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading the Possession FAQ yesterday for the other thread you forked this off of, and it's crystal clear there even if you didn't find the argument from the card text itself convincing (emphasis mine): "During the Possessed turn, whenever one of that player's cards is trashed, set it aside, and that player puts it into his discard pile at the end of the turn, after Clean-up. This counts as the card being trashed, so, for example, you could trash a Mining Village (from Dominion: Intrigue) and get the $2."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.