Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After hearing numerous podcasts extoll the virtues of this lovely period game, I'm trying to determine which version I should be purchasing. Can the German language version be played with AH rules? I assume there is significant translations required. I understand that version is a little more faithful to the theme. Were there big differences between AH editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the Swiss edition every time. It has the humor the Avalon Hill edition lacks (and I'm saying this as a big AH fan!). Although you probably do not get all the name-jokes if you don't speak German meeple

The Swiss version has this kind of a communist retro-feeling. It looks cheap and shoddy (it is cheap and shoddy actually), the rulebook makes fun of communists as do the the cards. So an advise from me would be "if you speak German, go for the Swiss version. If not, get the Avalon Hill edition".

The differences are minor - check out this thread: Fata Morgana vs. Avalon Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice Ron, I also hadn't seen that older thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that there are no differences between the two AH printings. I've heard, and this is anecdotal, that Gorbachev sued, or threatened suit for the unlicensed use of his image, and that's why it was removed from the cover in the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.