Battles of Westeros» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A lion's lessons - The whispering wood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I liked this one from the very beginning.

At least i could play with red cavalry, too! At the beginning, i had Adam head down
towards Maege. I figured that i might earn some Victory Points there, while drawing
Greatjon’s cavalry to Adam and keeping them from rushing into my main host.

That worked, it took me two or three turns to kill Maege’s entire party, and then
Greatjon did for Adam and his cavalry, but kept clear of the foot guys. Meanwhile
in the north: Jaime, Kevan and their foot engage Star troops in the forest. There
are some nice coordinated attacks taking place, but with all them trees around the
worst of blows couldn’t be pulled off.

I have one red cavalry hurry to the leftmost flank and cross the river. Catelyn waits
in the top right corner. Only Robb crosses the stream to protect her. He engages
my men, but does not kill the unit. I risk a parting blow, survive, and reach Catelyn
on turn three with the 5 VP i need. Stark player told me afterwards, that he somehow
didnt see my possibility to reach Catelyn that turn, but was thinking i would be one
hex short and couldn’t reach her. He was getting more men over there, in case Robb
couldn’t kill my cavalry alone. I guess if he had that one additional turn he was thinking
he had, i wouldn’t have caught Catelyn.

Things might have got quite complicated then, with all those trees preventing me
from doing battle properly. The special archers, by the way, did not accomplish
anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the session reports.

I am looking forward to playing this soon, and your reports are adding to my excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this scenario, too. The instant victory conditions are well thought out and it really gives the feeling of a scene from the book.

Also, it clearly shows how the Battles of Westeros system has improved on the traditional Commands and Colors model, particularly for representing a fantasy-medieval-skirmish style of fighting.

Thanks for sharing the session reports. Having a picture of the opening setup is also very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im glad you liked my reports, thanks!

As for the (instant) win conditions - i feel like we are growing into them. It is always very tempting to kill opposing units, but sometimes it wont help at all to meet your win conditions, and sometimes its even a bad idea. When we started to play the first scenarios, we did not pay the objectives the attention we should have.

I really like how most scenarios are scenes taken from the book. I even almost felt a little guilty for not letting Jaime get captured in this one

And yeah, i like having the setup pictured while thinking bout the session, but it seems i only got those five, and i can't remeber where i took them from. Anyway, if i don't find the next ones, i'll just take pictures maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice session report. One of my friends owns this game and I have only been able to play it twice. The first game we played, we also concentrated way more on wiping out each other's armies instead of the VP condidtions. Before the 2nd game we skimmed over the rule book a few times and realized how important the VP conditions were to winning each battle. Great game and combat system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.