Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My grandmother has macular degeneration, and can not read any text that is less than 1.5 inches high (and that only with major effort), and has trouble making out shapes, but can see colors and light and dark areas just fine. Been keeping my eyes out for a game that she could participate in without someone else having to be her eyes and this looks promising.

My question is, how much text needs to be read in-game and is there any iconography that the players need to see during play?

Also, when will this be available in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She should have no trouble playing the Pointillism game style, as all you need to be able to read are colours and the numbers on the cards. I think you'd be fine. No text anywhere.

As for Impressionism, there's a bid board that might pose a little more of a problem, but I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if she can't read text less than 1.5" high, can she read single digit numbers ~1/2" high?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Well, if she can't read text less than 1.5" high, can she read single digit numbers ~1/2" high?

No, I bet the numbers are too small, however if the numbers are the only thing to read perhaps I could use labels or even just write larger numbers on the cards with a sharpie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
She should have no trouble playing the Pointillism game style, as all you need to be able to read are colours and the numbers on the cards. I think you'd be fine. No text anywhere.

As for Impressionism, there's a bid board that might pose a little more of a problem, but I'm not sure.

If it is not private information we could probably help her through it without it impacting play too much. Thanks for the response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest, Topher. It is wonderful that you are actively seeking out new games for her to try.

Yes, like most card games, the numbers and colors (suites) on the cards are the important information (and the boards for the variant mentioned).

Feel free, of course, to add address labels with larger numbers to the cards, if necessary.

And the information on the boards in the variant is not private information, so it would be possible for the players to remind each other during the game.

Best regards,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.