Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Waaah! Weird!

And again, red Stark cavalry, including Robb, who apparently can only be killed
on weddings. Unfortunately, no brides are around here. This one was a quick
smashing defeat for me.

I figured that i won’t be able to capture Robb anyway and opted for Adam pushing
through the center. The King in the north did kill some of my blue cavalry, though,
before heading south. Only Adam was spared.

Gregor and his men moved north and started playing a game called “Killing with
Karstark”. Gregor himself is quite robust, but his fellow soldiers were quick to die.
Meanwhile some northmen sneaked along the western road and started collecting
Victory Points together with Robb and their eastern counterpart.

When i finally got Adam, Gregor and my last surviving heavy infantery to the
north, i was well past the point where i could hope to catch up on VP. My units
butchered, my morale down to the ground and far behind on VPs, i had no
option left but to yield and hope for a better fight next time.

Afterwards i wondered whether i should have kept Adam on my right flank. Even
without any chance of taking Robb, i could have bought time and maybe even do
some killing and then slip past the king with a cavalry or two, and get some points
on my own. I am not quite sure, though, i just feel kind of helpless with Robb around,
when my own “you can’t take me” - commander just moves with a third of Robbs speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the scenario that really turned me away from playing with the rules as written in the rulebook. Of course, this was before the release of the optional rules. Still, seeing the huge difference in quality between the Mountain and the King in the North made me realize that balance was off in this game.

I still love this game, but I prefer to play without command limits, at least as written in the rulebook.

That being said, it seems like the only defense in this scenario is for marbrand and company to hold the high ground in formation, waiting to threaten the King in the North with a Coordinated attack.

I also have a houserule that makes units on hills have Defender (granting Stalwart and Heavy Armor) rather than the dice limitation, which I think gives Lannister a fighting chance in this scenario and makes Hills less of an arbitrary thing in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option i was thinking about would be to try and have Adam and his two adjacent cavalry reach the north lines as fast as possible. They might have a chance on collecting VPs early on.

And i heard of some optional rule weakening wounded units, maybe that could put some use into fighting Robb. Marbrand waiting seems no use to me, even with a coordinated attack, how should he ever take Robb? Even with a 7 dice flanking attack, the chance of rolling 4 hits against Robb is only 22,1 %. And before, you have to get rid of those other two red riders with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, that makes me wonder if you guys are playing with any house rules? Also are you playing with the optional rules?

The withdrawal rules, as officially written make archers very strong. They can easily just step away from charging cavalry. This allows ranged units to wait for units to move into range, then staying ready to activate until the end of the round to send some arrows or just back away from any close combat attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know, which rules have already beent updated in the german rulesbook. Archers who are engaged and want to move or fight someone else have to suffer a parting blow like all other units. That is how we did understand the german rules and how we play it.

Optional rules we use are coordinated attacks and alternate retreat (retreat in direction of attack instead of to your side of the plan.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
Another option i was thinking about would be to try and have Adam and his two adjacent cavalry reach the north lines as fast as possible. They might have a chance on collecting VPs early on.

And i heard of some optional rule weakening wounded units, maybe that could put some use into fighting Robb. Marbrand waiting seems no use to me, even with a coordinated attack, how should he ever take Robb? Even with a 7 dice flanking attack, the chance of rolling 4 hits against Robb is only 22,1 %. And before, you have to get rid of those other two red riders with him.

No, I wouldn't suggest trying to take out Robb, rather one of the two other units with him. They need three units to accumulate VP's, so target one of the other units and harass Robb or that same unit with the archers at the end of each round. Wait until all the units have activated before unleashing arrows, in order to allow withdrawals, if necessary. With those tactics and my house rule that Hills grant Defender, I hope the scenario won't be so easy for Stark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lannister4live wrote:
I do not know, which rules have already beent updated in the german rulesbook. Archers who are engaged and want to move or fight someone else have to suffer a parting blow like all other units. That is how we did understand the german rules and how we play it.

Optional rules we use are coordinated attacks and alternate retreat (retreat in direction of attack instead of to your side of the plan.)

Strangely enough, directional retreats are not optional, according to the FAQ/Errata. They are official standard rules that would replace the current method of retreats, if the rulebook were ever to be reprinted.

Coordinated attacks are important, but so are Withdrawals. Basically, this allows an active unit to strategically retreat after the move but before an opponent gets to attack at a cost for the withdrawing side of morale and of becoming inactive. You should check it out. It fundamentally changes the way infantry deals with cavalry, in a good way, I think.

Also, yeah, Reduced Strength units is another good rule that helps to balance cavalry. Basically, units which are reduced to half strength roll one less die in attack. So, a cavalry unit with only one figure would roll one less die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you very much!
I wasn't aware of the withdrawal rules at all.
We just decided to use this plus educed strength units from now on, so we start playing the expansions with all four optional rules we found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.